Cars & Transportation Beautiful Cars

Remove this Banner Ad

Mazda making the Mazda 6 a six cylinder rear wheel drive, from a four cylinder front wheel drive.

Will be interesting to see how it goes, given that's the exact type of car that market has moved post for good.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk
It's a shame they didn't take this plunge 10 years ago because the market for sedans has tanked majorly, although apparently this new RWD platform will underpin Mazda's new large SUVs so they might find more success with those models.

The old MPS 6 was a cracker but this seems like it will be softer & more subdued. Either way, it's definitely way more interesting than the whitegoods on wheels Camrys and Passats.

They make the plunge ten years ago they probably would've been overshadowed by Commodore and Falcon and others in the segment. Maybe now is better timing.

Like the old Mitsubishi 380 which was by all reports quite a good car, but there was just no room behind Commodore, Falcon, Camry, then the other established imported sedans.

Potentially, I'd be surprised if Mazda release a 6 cyl version of this for less than $60k though. I can imagine a similar pricing arrangement to the Stinger which puts it out of reach of most Commodore/Falcon buyers and aims it more towards Lexus & the cheaper euros.

Miss the days when you could get an SS or an XR6T for $45k, highly doubt we'll ever see anything like that again.

They make the plunge ten years ago they probably would've been overshadowed by Commodore and Falcon and others in the segment. Maybe now is better timing.

Like the old Mitsubishi 380 which was by all reports quite a good car, but there was just no room behind Commodore, Falcon, Camry, then the other established imported sedans.

I had (still have) a 1999 Verada and it's a far better car than my previous Futura and (current) later model Honda Accord. Mitsubishis of that era were extremely underrated. As a matter of fact I'm considering resurrecting it as my daily driver.

I had (still have) a 1999 Verada and it's a far better car than my previous Futura and (current) later model Honda Accord. Mitsubishis of that era were extremely underrated. As a matter of fact I'm considering resurrecting it as my daily driver.
Yeah a mate had a thing for Magnas and they were usually good cars, one was a lemon but two were warhorses and a bit of fun too.

Mazda making the Mazda 6 a six cylinder rear wheel drive, from a four cylinder front wheel drive.

Will be interesting to see how it goes, given that's the exact type of car that market has moved post for good.

it looks like it is competing with Audi and BMW's sports range rather than the traditional falcon commodore family mover.......it looks stylish

1636269914065.png

1636269999376.png

1636270045089.png

Potentially, I'd be surprised if Mazda release a 6 cyl version of this for less than $60k though. I can imagine a similar pricing arrangement to the Stinger which puts it out of reach of most Commodore/Falcon buyers and aims it more towards Lexus & the cheaper euros.

Miss the days when you could get an SS or an XR6T for $45k, highly doubt we'll ever see anything like that again.
I wonder how those Kia Stingers hold up after a few years. Sounds like they wont be made for much longer so they must not have moved many of them even though they probably came about at the perfect time with the demise of the Falcon/Commodore.

I wonder how those Kia Stingers hold up after a few years. Sounds like they wont be made for much longer so they must not have moved many of them even though they probably came about at the perfect time with the demise of the Falcon/Commodore.
Comes down to the paint, the tin, the rubber and the electrics.
My old Honda Prelude took nearly 15 years near the sea to rust (never garaged and the paint was still not bad), the pop up headlights still worked the day I sold them,the only major fix over its life was the aircon and the rubber seal on the boot and sunroof (salt air and rubber arent friends)

When you drive around Qld you realise maroon burgundy really goes to crap in the sun quickly, almost doesnt matter which model, must be something UV unstable in one of the pigments ???

iu

Yeah thought they'd go a bit better, I think they were more expensive than the SS or XR8 so maybe that mattered, as well as just plain old not having a V8

You can buy a well appointed twin turbo stinger for mid 60s and they struggle to move them, so I'd be surprised if there's a large market for 6 cyl NA Mazdas at that price point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The electric conversion is an interesting point - and I think context, vehicle and intended use - as well as personal preference.

For example if I had a 70's Fairmont/Premier with an original V8 that was only brought out on weekends when the weather was nice - I would keep it as original as possible.

But if I had say, a base model EJ Holden that has probably already been modified away from standard (the ever populate HR front-end for example) then I would love to to an electric conversion and use it as a daily driver. How cool would that be?

Horses for courses

You can buy a well appointed twin turbo stinger for mid 60s and they struggle to move them, so I'd be surprised if there's a large market for 6 cyl NA Mazdas at that price point.
Yeah it's definitely a dying segment. Lexus stopped selling the GS sedan about a year ago which seems to be a similar concept to what Mazda hopes to do with the 6. Otherwise Infiniti doesn't sell here anymore and I still haven't seen an actual Genesis in the flesh either.

Hoping they do something more spicy with turbos etc. if turbos mate well with their skyactive HCCI thing they've got going. Rumours of a coupe as well.

Does anyone really care that much if their sedan is 4 or 6 cylinder? To me they'd have more to gain than lose by doing it.

During my late teens, an old bloke across the road spent 5 years restoring a rare 1963 E-type XKE flat floor roadster. He spent nearly 30k and had the restore up to the final prep paint stage - then he just didn't wake up one morning...!
His wife, who had zero interest in his hobby or any idea regarding the car's value, then sold it to a wrecking yard for 5k..!

I drafted a more detailed recollection of this early this year, but have never posted it - can do if you or others are interested..?

Last edited:
What a complete waste of money these poxy cars are!

Neither come with a nodding dog on the back parcel shelf or fuzzy dice hanging from the rearview mirror and good luck upgrading either with Yella Terra extractors and a Holley carb or cutting the coil springs to lower either car..?
Also the reviewers didn't even mention how many mates you can fit the boot to sneak into the Drive-In with..?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back