Autopsy Belted by Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not sure I agree with too far in any sense.

Two hills, Hamling, McCarthy, Spurr, Sandilands, Fyfe Neale, Walters, Kersten, Johnson, Mundy is enough of senior rump to glue the young pieces on to.
Spurr, and to a lesser extent Kersten, being roundly criticized at the moment though.
I suspect the continual inclusion of Spurr in the team at this point is a nod to the idea that to introduce yet another new player in his stead in a backline already leaking goals would be just a bit less glue than is healthy for player development.

Not being an insider, I wouldn't know for sure though.

Fyfe: Here it is, the most controversial recommendation I have and am likely to ever make - drop him to Peel. Before breaking out the pitchforks and flaming torches, hear me out. He's struggling to get back from a serious long term injury and bursting through the pack and contested marking, his two major weapons, have deserted him. This is impacting not just his confidence but those of his fellow mids as they strive to adjust their games to make up for his reduced output. Giving him a week in teal for 100% of the game will allow him to play at a slightly lower pace whilst helping him restore his aerobic base which is also down. More importantly, beating up some WAFL nufties will restore the infectious, confident arrogance that characterises the man.

I know, not gunna happen as he's in contract re-negotiations. Therefore consideration needs to be given to something left-field, like switching MJ into the forward line and playing him as a sweeper with reduced time as a mid. Other teams have successfully adopted this approach - from memory Ziebell and Cotchin have done so, I'll wager there's more.

I like the idea and reasoning that you used for sending him to the WAFL, but can you imagine if one of those goons in the magoos decided to line him up and run through him. :rage::rage::rage:

I like the idea and reasoning that you used for sending him to the WAFL, but can you imagine if one of those goons in the magoos decided to line him up and run through him. :rage::rage::rage:
Well can you imagine bennell recover from injury and those goons in the Magoo's decided to line him up .I am not saying precautions is wrong , but to the extreme is wrong .
By saying that I am not keen on fyfe playing for peel . If a star player don't want to play in Magoo no point forcing him , he will not give in effort .

Last edited:
I like this idea a lot. Except instead of Fyfe, make it McCarthy and Kersten. They can rotate thru there for a few weeks and hopefully kick some goals and get that belief and feeling good about themselves back. Two or three games each should do it. Fyfe at Peel is ludicrous. If anything, rest him for an extra week after the bye. Just needs to freshen up.

I like this idea a lot. Except instead of Fyfe, make it McCarthy and Kersten. They can rotate thru there for a few weeks and hopefully kick some goals and get that belief and feeling good about themselves back. Two or three games each should do it. Fyfe at Peel is ludicrous. If anything, rest him for an extra week after the bye. Just needs to freshen up.
Why not playing fyfe,bennell and ballas together just for a game , that will be fun .

We need to be preparing for a post-Sandilands future now. Resting forwards or even defenders for that matter is treating the symptom, not the cause. If in doubt listen to the post-match conferences as it's been a recurring theme for much of the season.

Like I said, not gunna happen.

But I can dream. And can anyone think of a more powerful, uncompromising message that could be sent, not just to the players, coaches, management and fans, but to the football public at large, that so forcefully demonstrates the club's unwavering and uncompromising commitment to excellence?

The only "message" you'd be sending is: "We are really stupid".

Fyfe isn't playing anywhere near bad enough to deserve being dropped. He's still averaging 25 touches and almost a goal a game, nothing like Tippett's terrible form.

If we're going to drop him every time he isn't reaching his 2015 standards we might as well trade him.

Or hard-nosed and objective, like Sydney dropping Tippett who's probably still on a million a year (after endorsements).

Fyfe's been one of our best players all year. He's a long way off his best form, but he's still one of the best 5 players in the team week after week. Even suggesting dropping him is monumentally stupid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fyfe isn't playing anywhere near bad enough to deserve being dropped. He's still averaging 25 touches and almost a goal a game, nothing like Tippett's terrible form.
Interestingly his 2015 numbers are only very slightly higher than this year which really highlights how misleading they can be. Stats require context. For example he leads the comp for total clangers, yet that doesn't overly perturb me given the role that he's assigned to play and the tags he's required to wear. Other metrics are similarly opaque - marks are steady which would suggest uncontested marks are offsetting contested. Tackle numbers are constant yet should arguably be higher given Sand's absence. Finally, stats never reveal where on the ground they occur, the ground conditions or at what stage of the game they arise.

Postscript: Just noticed that The Worst is calling for Delucca's inclusion. Which one of you is McArdle;)

Can you pay him 1 mil + on exposed form , can someone tell me the last game when Fyfe looked like the Fyfe on all the marketing posters it must be a fair while ago . If the bye comes and goes with no great improvement shown what do we do .... lowball him and hope no one makes a better offer , pay him what poster boy Fyfe is worth ? It's should be a good situation for freo but I dunno

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Fyfe's been one of our best players all year. He's a long way off his best form, but he's still one of the best 5 players in the team week after week. Even suggesting dropping him is monumentally stupid.
Sadly his performance has dropped away over the last 2 months since the North Melbourne victory where he last figured in the AFLCA votes.

And if you re-read my post you'll see I consider the move as an opportunity to recuperate, both physically and mentally.

Sadly his performance has dropped away over the last 2 months since the North Melbourne victory where he last figured in the AFLCA votes.

And if you re-read my post you'll see I consider the move as an opportunity to recuperate, both physically and mentally.
Don't worry , I know what you mean , just a casual opinion .

Can you pay him 1 mil + on exposed form , can someone tell me the last game when Fyfe looked like the Fyfe on all the marketing posters it must be a fair while ago . If the bye comes and goes with no great improvement shown what do we do .... lowball him and hope no one makes a better offer , pay him what poster boy Fyfe is worth ? It's should be a good situation for freo but I dunno
Good call, ugly call, not-going-there call.

Nobody is going to figure in the AFLCA votes when we get beaten by 100 points. Players on the winning side get the votes unless there's a standout opposition player.

Fyfe was named in our best again on the weekend. Suggesting dropping him is stupid.

Nobody is going to figure in the AFLCA votes when we get beaten by 100 points. Players on the winning side get the votes unless there's a standout opposition player.
And the other 6 rounds which included several wins?

All this distracts from the elephant in the living room: our midfield group of which Fyfe is a key (but not sole) element is regularly getting smashed.

And games are won or lost in the midfield. Period.

Last edited:

All this distracts from the elephant in the living room: our midfield group of which Fyfe is a key (but not sole) element is regularly getting smashed.

This very true obseravtion, remarkable that we have identified the root cause of our previous losses.

Your idea to drop Fyfe was stupid as *. Period.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back