List Mgmt. Ben King

Remove this Banner Ad

The media can keep linking us to him but I've followed St Kilda long enough to not get my hopes up until the day we actually see him in the jumper.
Not just the media mate. Worst kept secret in football.
Would have been a Saint already if it wasn't for the AFL putting their thumb on the scale with an extra 150k a year 'Ambassador' money.

I think it also fair. I was just pointing up 6 to 650 isnt for all our top end players. Billings is worth no more than 650
Yes, and thats the point, on a RFA if he is offered 600-650k we match as the compo would be in the 20's. If he wants to go, the other club can negotiate.
If he is offered silly money 700-750k that is band 1 and too rich for our SC.
Look, I don't want him moved on. He is being discussed because

1) he is sfa
2) he is on an inflated contract
3) he has currency.

I like Billings and think he is underrated but as you said with Ben King, not at any price.

The other saints in the top 100 as at the end of 2020.

12. Hill $875k-925k
69. Gresham $650-700k
73. Crouch $650-$700k (think he signed a similar sized deal with us this year)
76.Carlisle $600-$650 - obviously no kn this deal anymore as it’s just a 1 year contract.
87.Hanners $600-$650k
93. Howard $600-$650k

The other saints in the top 100 as at the end of 2020.

12. Hill $875k-925k
69. Gresham $650-700k
73. Crouch $650-$700k (think he signed a similar sized deal with us this year)
76.Carlisle $600-$650 - obviously no kn this deal anymore as it’s just a 1 year contract.
87.Hanners $600-$650k
93. Howard $600-$650k
1.2 mill with Hanners and Carlisle gone

Yes but his wage now could be 651k if that article is right. That is band 2 at the moment based on crouch
That is band 2.

but his actual contract is 700-750k - which is good enough for band 1

you can’t say his Covid impacted deal is what his New deal will be. Because theoretically the club could have cut the Covid impact across multiple years and he would be around 700k

That is band 2.

but his actual contract is 700-750k - which is good enough for band 1

you can’t say his Covid impacted deal is what his New deal will be. Because theoretically the club could have cut the Covid impact across multiple years and he would be around 700k
No his contract is now 650. We chose 7% as a club. Some other clubs did other ways. Anyway that’s irrelevant. If he wants to stay and we offer him 650k and he is happy he ain’t going anywhere. How can you force a trade?

No his contract is now 650. We chose 7% as a club. Some other clubs did other ways. Anyway that’s irrelevant. If he wants to stay and we offer him 650k and he is happy he ain’t going anywhere. How can you force a trade?
If we want to keep him and he is happy with a 100-150k hair cut on the previous deal he signed. Keep him. It just means you will have to move someone else on.

However, North Hawthorn and Essendon have all been touted in the last month as having a keen interest by the Melbourne media.

I would say it’s likely the clubs with the 3 biggest cap rooms will pay him very well to join them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we want to keep him and he is happy with a 100-150k hair cut on the previous deal he signed. Keep him. It just means you will have to move someone else on.

However, North Hawthorn and Essendon have all been touted in the last month as having a keen interest by the Melbourne media.

I would say it’s likely the clubs with the 3 biggest cap rooms will pay him very well to join them.
It’s not 100 to 150 less. It’s the same if we offer 650k. Not everyone leaves for money. I think and hope he stays. I also hope we don’t pay more than 650k.

1.2 mill with Hanners and Carlisle gone

When is Hanners’ contract up? End of 2022 with games trigger (which obv he won’t make)?
With hindsight should have been end of this year.

It’s not 100 to 150 less. It’s the same if we offer 650k. Not everyone leaves for money. I think and hope he stays. I also hope we don’t pay more than 650k.
No one leaves for money, until it hits a certain number and then everyone does.

we all have our price.

Billings is my favourite player. However if Billings can help us land BenKing - I’ll call the club and offer to drive him to his next club aswell as pick Ben up from the airport.

No one leaves for money, until it hits a certain number and then everyone does.

we all have our price.

Billings is my favourite player. However if Billings can help us land BenKing - I’ll call the club and offer to drive him to his next club aswell as pick Ben up from the airport.
We don't know what is around the corner - for instance Ross is a restricted free agent this year , if he walks surely we will get a first round pick for him - he is a good player but if I was to pick a player to move on it would be a aging Ross.
You just don't know what the recruiters have up there sleeve.
At the end of this year we will have enough cap space to add another big fish to the squad and the following year Ben King will get Hanners money.

Just on Billings. Personally I would prefer to keep him.

However let us just roll with him going.

Compensation if he goes as a FA is determined by what the new club would be willing to pay him.

If Billings did decide to leave would he choose to nominate a better team who would also pay him less, or assuming that North will actually pay him overs that he will be happy to go to like wooden spooner on the rebuild for an extra $100/200K per year. History would tend to suggest that very good players do not do this unless there is a very good other reason at play. If anything they tend to go to teams that they think will be playing finals, and that is not North anytime soon.

There is no come home home factor.

Billings is also not being squeezed out like say Bruce may have been with King and Marshall.

Would Billings buck the trend? I suspect not.

When is Hanners’ contract up? End of 2022 with games trigger (which obv he won’t make)?
With hindsight should have been end of this year.
I am assuming his first three years were front ended.
Look his body is gone, he should do the right thing and retire.

I'd not bother with dealing with the Suns, go after Naughton, the Dogs have so many good players to keep listed, surely they are vulnerable to raids by cashed up clubs. The Suns are going to get the AFL involved to hold off anyone coming for their kids.

I reckon if the Suns start drafting other forwards it may be telling. All may be revealed at the ND.

Think you’ve nailed it DS, although we may only need to wait for the MSD in a couple of weeks.

Looks like they’re preparing for the inevitable

7Doz6Cd.jpg

The only fly in the ointment with all this Billings talk is that if North is the highest bidder, we don't have much bargaining power. However if i was Billings after being in a mediocre Saints for years, the offer would have to be pretty bloody enticing to go to that club as he will probably never play finals.

Really think the most enticing would be Essendon who would want to get him for 500k and offer us a future third.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back