Ben Reid signs on for 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m shocked that people are as pessimistic as they are about this move.

Break in case of emergency type player signing for one year. Essentially a Goldsack type prospect. He won’t play beyond 2020 but im confident we’d be more like to call upon him than we were Goldy this year.

We still need to prioritise finding another KP forward or back this off season, ideally one mature (but not approaching 30 like the rest of ours) and one via the draft.
Exactly, but for some the thought process around this is far too difficult for them understand

For them, its much more about the "dummy spitting" which always turns out well (yes sarcasm)

I'm really happy with the decision.

He's there to be part of the team, and to elevate the team culture away from the playing field on the training track. He's a fierce competitor, can turn a game around and loves being a part of success.

The biggest knock on him is the frequency of his injuries, but only if you expect him to play 22 games. What if the expectation is for him to only play 6 games and to mentor a younger key forward? For him to be an on-field coach to improve running patterns and game awareness?

A few responses above point to senior mentorship: I think it would be a great opportunity for the club to build on the team-first mentality and to also keep the younger players feel connected to a Premiership team.

Same with Pendles, same with Sidey.

I have never understood the 'clean out everything' approach that people seem to feel is necessary. If you throw out experience, you throw out opportunity and potential. If you use experience through the enthusiasm of youth then you do a lot better.

Onya Reidy

He's there to be part of the team, and to elevate the team culture away from the playing field on the training track. He's a fierce competitor, can turn a game around and loves being a part of success.

The biggest knock on him is the frequency of his injuries, but only if you expect him to play 22 games. What if the expectation is for him to only play 6 games and to mentor a younger key forward? For him to be an on-field coach to improve running patterns and game awareness?

A few responses above point to senior mentorship: I think it would be a great opportunity for the club to build on the team-first mentality and to also keep the younger players feel connected to a Premiership team.

You make some fair points, which goes beyond Ben being mere depth, and I hope you are right. Its the 'more of the same', or just treading water, which concerns many of us. But now that the decision is made, the club and team need to make the best of it.

I know we are completely short and lacking in key position players but do we really need to sign him now?

Wouldn’t you wait until end of the trade period in case something unexpected comes up?

The club uses the excuse of lost flexibility for not giving Grundy a 7yr deal, so how does signing Reid now give us list flexibility going into the trade period.

I’d hope this deal is on minimum wage plus match payments

You make some fair points, which goes beyond Ben being mere depth, and I hope you are right. Its the 'more of the same', or just treading water, which concerns many of us. But now that the decision is made, the club and team need to make the best of it.
'More of the same' got us to 1 Grand Final and 1 Prelim in consecutive years so funnily enough I don't see that as a negative :)

And given GWS crumbled quicker than a 3 month old Weetbix when it mattered, it showed again how absolutely close you can be and still not be good enough. So I don't see Collingwood's failure for a flag this year anything other than millimetres away.

The Tigers came home in a canter against a team who gave their all last week. We felt like we had more to give. So I definitely think sticking with a great combination is the right thing to do.

The improvement needs to come from sustained concentration, better long-term handling of injury and recovery and from a little more a-hole in the way we treat the opposition. Ben Reid signing on has no real sway on those things.

Does Richmond have a Reid on their list?

Not that I'm aware of but I don't pay that much attention to them. They persevered with a kid named Grimes who managed 26 games in his 1st 4 years there due to hamstring related injury, does that count?

There are numerous examples of that type of player eventually getting it right

Yep, agree. I actually though Reid showed improved resilience this year so hopefully that will continue into 2020. Similarly, Moore and Elliott. All three have undertaken the German trip so maybe it is starting to bare fruit.

Last edited:
Its a list management decision and not a biggie. This doesnt define us on how big a risk taker we are or a mover and shaker.

Truth is a good number of players will be departing this season. We have a poor hand at the draft and not much available to trade.

With Wells, Goldy and Murray gone and questions over Dunn, Crocker, Varcoe and Elliott there is a limit over how many we can roll off the list. I suspect part of this will be we are keeping wriggle room for 2020 when hopefully we have more to do in the draft and trade. Reid for 1 year will be part of that whole trading. Without knowing the whole story it's very hard to be critical. Easy to get up and say he should be delisted as a full stop statement without having to put all the other pieces of the puzzle into place.

List management team doesnt have that luxury

A fit Reid for the whole of 2020 could be valuable. I have my doubts that will happen but we are going to find out. Go Reidy

Of course we will be getting players in, but Reid, like keeping Goldsack last year will not affect those plans.
Even Clarko gave Roughie an extra year.
We won’t be getting another KPF with the assumption Darcy Cameron is coming.

Which means Cox, Cameron, Reid and Brody M are our key forwards for next year, which is not a recipe for success which we have found out the previous 2 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Makes sense from the point of view he's cheap depth but gee.... our KPF stocks of Reid, Cox, Miochek and probably D Cameron are some of the weakest in the league.

If Moore moves front that improves, but I believe we would be 'robbing Peter to pay Paul' if we shift Moore up front on a permanent basis

You want to get rid of Moore? bodies develop. If you were in charge of Australian cricket, NZ cricket would have been more successful. Pat Cummins would be opening their bowling and Mitch Johnson and Brett Lee would have had fine careers for them.
I hope you are right, my fear is that I am...and particularly so with our recent history of managing these sort of players. He is an absolute unicorn, and as such as considerable value on the open market. That value goes down significantly if he has another injury riddled year or two. Are there examples of athletic talls with recurring soft tissue problems that have managed to recover and play to their potential? If so I’d imagine it would be one of the few examples.

With your attitude Grimes , Burgoyne and many others, would have missed stellar careers by being axed to early.
Not sure about their specific histories. Without a doubt their examples where it turns out well. We have had 7 years of injury interruptions plaguing our seasons performance...I think we need to bring in durable types. Maybe carry a few suspect players, but not half the list.

Is Reid Depth?

Club still thinks he is AFL standard and ahead of everyone on the list bar Cox.

Surely even Scharenberg, who actually attempts to mark with two hands, and is only 4cms shorter than Ben would've been a better option to train up as a forward..... Certainly worth a try if they were willing to do it with the best and most consistent Backman in Roughead, when he played a few in that experiment.

Oh but what do us fans know? Maybe the club is just cursed and has nothing to do with retaining cooked injury plagued players in key roles....

Sharenberg and Elliot are good chances of being gone this trade period, I reckon. Wells has retired.

That leaves Moore. And we need him badly.
I’d be happy to carry one, and particularly Moore because his upside is huge...however he also holds down a key post and as we’ve seen this year we don’t have many ready made/fit replacements.

I have no faith in our medical team

If for depth like goldy was this year, ok with the decision, help teach our younger kids. As long it’s for the minimum

Not that I'm aware of but I don't pay that much attention to them. They persevered with a kid named Grimes who managed 26 games in his 1st 4 years there due to hamstring related injury, does that count?

I know I was being a smart arse with my comment, but I see Richmond as the current benchmark, so I think the answer is ‘no’.

Re Grimes, who I’d love at the Pies, he’s not really relevant.

Not a huge wrap for this decision. I think his body is cooked, and even if he is fit, his mobility isn't that great anymore. It's a sign to me that we won't be getting any decent KPPs in the trade period this year, so we need some insurance. I'll be bracing for another year of Cox as our FF.

Happy to see Reidy sign on.
Now he needs to pack his bags for Germany to spend the entire break with Dr Adolf von Gemenstiener

Remove this Banner Ad

Back