Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

They need maiden gully, they should have a crwck at Wycheproof nully merged side entering and echuca and Moama both entering,

How does that work Trent? How do you recruit a club? Is it a case of incentives like cut price fees etc or are you just trying to make a case for how you are better for them? If it’s the latter I can’t see how Bendigo recruit anyone.

Ie Metro clubs with 45+ points when Nully are stuck on 42.

Do you think the metro clubs take many players from clubs? I haven’t heard of that being an issue but interested if others do find it a problem.

How does that work Trent? How do you recruit a club? Is it a case of incentives like cut price fees etc or are you just trying to make a case for how you are better for them? If it’s the latter I can’t see how Bendigo recruit anyone.

Do you think the metro clubs take many players from clubs? I haven’t heard of that being an issue but interested if others do find it a problem.
I think metro and ammo clubs can easily fit in country players because they have more points. They also have more juniors and under 19s. Moorhead from strath is at pascoe Vale for example. They also can out recruit country clubs because they've got more points, less travel. If metro clubs were on 28-32 points and ammos the same. Its easier for a club like Maryborough to recruit guys out there.

I'm not sure what the league did to get gisborne in the late 90s over Ballarat. Maybe jock would know, the other club to join from elsewhere was locky who I think wanted to test themselves as they would have been on the edge of a number of leagues. What brought them undone was appointing fairley as coach and the loss of community as the juniors went elsewhere

A new club development lead has been announced. To help clubs with being self sufficient apparently.

Thoughts ?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

C’mon Crazy man have a little faith.

Bit of wet and mud at the camp and the pretty boys from Bendigo sometimes go missing.

I reckon we will push them closer than that.

I hope so mate but depth is my concern. Let’s hope we get them off the bit early

Henderson goes mad we win fingers crossed but crazy is a realist

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I'm not sure 2 guys cut it? We've got issues with umpire numbers, allocating points, providing an even draw, checking salaries, clearances, junior footy participation, and how to get more juniors playing, clubs with reduced juniors, for what 4 leagues and two guys are supposed to look after it? Maybe country footy need to go back under their own name vcfl and run separately. The hubs has been a disaster throughout the state, footy is poorly run with leagues just handing over the keys to allow the afl to profit, but not many leagues
Wouldn't be issues if there was ever a chance of someone outside of the Association's select circle being selected for decent matches.

Blokes train their ass off all pre-season, do all the courses and get shunted off to Sea Lake or Pyramid every second week (except for top of the table clashes) while the same few dont have to do any of the work and get to stay within 15 minutes of Bendigo every week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

7 goals for the day for South today across 3 games
To be blunt, the most disappointing team in the competition. All the other losers could at least take some positives out of their performances. I watched the first half on reply which I know is not the same as being there but just no pressure whatsoever on Sandhurst. They won a final two years ago, made the finals last year but the lights are not turned on at the moment. I am also not convinced moving away from the QEO was a good idea.

To be blunt, the most disappointing team in the competition. All the other losers could at least take some positives out of their performances. I watched the first half on reply which I know is not the same as being there but just no pressure whatsoever on Sandhurst. They won a final two years ago, made the finals last year but the lights are not turned on at the moment. I am also not convinced moving away from the QEO was a good idea.
Sorry, the above should have said "I watched the first half on replay'

Another entertaining game, another foot in the door late, another loss.

Getting a bit frustrating but very good signs and can see us flipping some of these results second time around with some better luck with injuries.

Still good crowds, well supported functions and a nice feel around the place means thing are on the up, two week bye coming at a nice time to get some guys back.

They’re in no man’s land, with seemingly no way out. A mile off the good teams, and gone backwards after the improvement they’d made under Horbury the past few years.
I hope the move from the QEO is having benefits off field, as on field it was a strange move, moving from the best ground in country Victoria to an under 8’s sized postage stamp.

They’re in no man’s land, with seemingly no way out. A mile off the good teams, and gone backwards after the improvement they’d made under Horbury the past few years.
I hope the move from the QEO is having benefits off field, as on field it was a strange move, moving from the best ground in country Victoria to an under 8’s sized postage stamp.
When your sharing the ground and training half the time at tom flood, gives the club a sense of identity. Although south seemed to have dropped off in juniors, square seem to have taken over as a destination junior club. Hopefully they can get a crowd there and support, gone are the days of getting peter Curran as coach, there's no hardinge, connaughton, frews, child's coming through junior systems by the looks of it. They have lost recruiting from the north central good juniors too it seems

Wouldn't be issues if there was ever a chance of someone outside of the Association's select circle being selected for decent matches.

Blokes train their ass off all pre-season, do all the courses and get shunted off to Sea Lake or Pyramid every second week (except for top of the table clashes) while the same few dont have to do any of the work and get to stay within 15 minutes of Bendigo every week.
The challenges with umpiring is not unique to Bendigo as it is struggling everywhere. Everyone is an expert.

I do agree with seeing the same guys every week in Bendigo games. Rarely we see a young umpire and it appears we see the same faces year after year which isn't a good thing. The same issues when we get to finals with the same faces going around. Good groups have a 'churn' in players/ umpires each year and it appears umpiring doesn't have the luxury. I know its hard to attract umpires but I would much prefer seeing a young umpire learning rather than the same individual that consistently makes the same mistakes each year.

I also question the longevity of the current senior umpiring coach. Been there a very long time and perhaps change is also needed at the top. Senior coaches are only effective for a certain duration unless they change although on the other hand finding a decent umpiring coach isn't an easy task. Who wants to work in a primarily negative environment where everyone knows more than you.

Talking to the South guys a few weeks ago, they are really happy with the move.

QEO presented all sorts of challenges for access and created barriers to financial opportunities.

They did say the original plan for the Tom Flood renovation was to increase the oval size and they are hopeful one day it will happen.

Talking to the South guys a few weeks ago, they are really happy with the move.

QEO presented all sorts of challenges for access and created barriers to financial opportunities.

They did say the original plan for the Tom Flood renovation was to increase the oval size and they are hopeful one day it will happen.
South are in a fair bit of trouble but if they stayed at QEO they probably would not be in existence now. The QEO had limited access, terrible social rooms with restrictions and the only thing that was keeping them going was Bingo.

The modifications at Tom Flood were an idea shown in a master plan but I cannot ever see it come to fruition. Far more important things need to be done around the city, especially when you see Epsom Huntly Reserve sit idle for the majority of time.

The move to Kennington has been a savior for the club despite being in lots of trouble on field. They at least have a home now and a better connection to the community along with good facilities. Will be interesting to see how they continue long term but they are just another example of the struggles of clubs in and around Bendigo. They are not on their own as we know.

The challenges with umpiring is not unique to Bendigo as it is struggling everywhere. Everyone is an expert.

The issues with the umpiring association management have been well known for many years and have been raised and discussed at board and hub level.

To the surprise of absolutely no one, absolutely nothing has been done to change things.

South are in a fair bit of trouble but if they stayed at QEO they probably would not be in existence now. The QEO had limited access, terrible social rooms with restrictions and the only thing that was keeping them going was Bingo.

The modifications at Tom Flood were an idea shown in a master plan but I cannot ever see it come to fruition. Far more important things need to be done around the city, especially when you see Epsom Huntly Reserve sit idle for the majority of time.

The move to Kennington has been a savior for the club despite being in lots of trouble on field. They at least have a home now and a better connection to the community along with good facilities. Will be interesting to see how they continue long term but they are just another example of the struggles of clubs in and around Bendigo. They are not on their own as we know.
In the 1990's South, Castlemaine, Kyneton, Kangaroo Flat and Maryborough all won at least one premiership.

Times have changed.

Anyone down at Gisborne on Saturday able to confirm the Interleague captain knocked out behind the play?

Heard a whisper and apparently there’s some film going around of it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back