Toast Bernie Vince

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes. I doubt Vince is saying "glad I dodged that bullet!"

If anything, he's probably a mixture of emotions - selfishly glad that we didn't suddenly have a bunch of success as soon as he left, but sad for his mates who can't be enjoying their footy very much right now.
should i have put a :por a :D or a ;)

Vince lives with the man in my avatar FWIW.

Funny quote when asked the difference between living with Walker and Dawes.

"Dawesy studies law, Tex only studies the form guide".

Watching him now on TFS...pretty sure the footy gods are deeply pissed with us for selling Bernie out :(

watching him play for melbourne makes me wish we had him back.
but I'm very happy with Jnr. both would have been better.

I think a lot of Bernie's improvement has to do with Goodwin too, Goodwin took him under his wing when he was playing and once he left the club Vince became an inconsistent party boy who had enough talent he could coast through by doing the minimum work required. At Melbourne reunited with Goodwin he has played his best footy. I think Goodwin knows how to have a good time and be a professional footballer and that is why he is a good influence on Bernie.

Cue Vader and "he only has himself to blame".

Actually I blame Sando who played him out of position and Trigg for making us trade him as he lost our picks.
The reality is a 10 - 15 year M. Crouch or 3 -5 more years of Bernie coasting through the back end of his career at the AFC, take your pick, I know what option I'm taking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The reality is a 10 - 15 year M. Crouch or 3 -5 more years of Bernie coasting through the back end of his career at the AFC, take your pick, I know what option I'm taking.
We could have had both and at this point in time Vince in our midfield would mean we are closer to a premiership in the next two years.

Completely agree with this. However, take away draft sanctions and I see no reason why we couldn't have both on our list. Absolutely loved Bernie, but in a few years when he's retired and Mrouch is a senior head dominating our midfield, we'll never look back.

We need him, but we need the version who got a kick up the butt from being traded that made him pull his finger out and become a professional. We also need the version of Tex who became a leader once he could no longer follow Bernie around.
Nailed it. Moving him at the time was the right call. The romantic in me kinda hopes that he comes back for a year or 2 at the end.
Melbourne have some great mids coming through in Oliver, Brayshaw and Petracca, moving him for a 2nd or 3rd rounder might mean that they get more time and they get something instead of nothing when he retires.

Vince's last season with us was underrated given the position he was played in. He played some very good footy for us but at HFF it's hard to be as consistent as he has at Melbourne in far better roles.

Vince's last season with us was underrated given the position he was played in. He played some very good footy for us but at HFF it's hard to be as consistent as he has at Melbourne in far better roles.
Exactly, Sanderson moved him out of the midfield. The same Sanderson that turned out to have no idea. I would have loved to have seen Vince under Walshy, we would have seen the same player he is at Melbourne.

As much as some like to say Vince needed to pull his finger out, our coaches didn't help him to do that and that's on us as much as it is on him.

We could have had both and at this point in time Vince in our midfield would mean we are closer to a premiership in the next two years.
How???

Draft sanctions put an end to that, and you're confusing the AFC Bernie Vince with the one that's playing for Melbourne currently.

How???

Draft sanctions put an end to that, and you're confusing the AFC Bernie Vince with the one that's playing for Melbourne currently.
Weren't Melbourne also interested in Mackay?

So Melbourne have better coaches than us? Or maybe they are playing him in his position.

Weren't Melbourne also interested in Mackay?

So Melbourne have better coaches than us? Or maybe they are playing him in his position.

I thought that was the previous year and they went cold the next year re Mackay..

Re Vince maybe he got the kick up the ass he needed and extracted the digit finally...

Either way it's past history, I'm more a look through the front windscreen at what's ahead than a look in the rear view mirror type anyway, especially when it's an exercise in futility.

He'd still have all his friendships and would have enjoyed his time here, but in reality there would be nothing better than beating the team that effectively turfed you out for someone else. Bernie did look rapt to get the win.

He hasn't got a hope in hell in winning a flag there, but he does seem to be relishing the role as a leader in an up and coming team.

I'm still more than content with the deal we completed though.

I wouldn't be too sure about that personally given the list the Dees have assembled over the last few years with high draft picks, they have the most dominant Ruckman in the league, a gun forward, a decent midfield that runs very deep with some class youngsters that are only going to get better and a tidy defence with Tom McDonald and the developing Oscar McDonald. Add to that the recruitment of a gun experienced player in Jordan Lewis. I honestly believe they will play finals this year and IMO they are only going to get better..........their time is coming sooner than later.

Even when history shows it was the wrong decision people defend it with the old "But Bernie couldnt do that for us", forgetting he was a B&F.
In 2009, Scott Thompson was club champion in 2011 and 2012 so any criticism of him now or over the last few years in invalid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back