Opinion Best 22 for 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting seeing injury prone players in our best 22. Some will never get there unfortunately and they will be forgot, myth like, when we actually win a flag without them
The task is to pick your best 22 but it also important to realise teams rarely have their best 22 available in the same week.
My rule of thumb is to expect 3 or 4 of best 22 missing at any point in time so it really important to have a strong 26 at minimum because my 26th best player is going to be playing most weeks.
Newman is a perfect example. If we had no injuries I probably not have him in my 22 but he one of first emergencies I'd want for backline so he ends up playing virtually every week anyway. If only have one or two of best 22 out, it awesome, but of it 5 or more it starts to suck.

Last edited:
After last night’s terrible performance where we were consistently second to the ball and again didn’t handle slippery conditions, constantly fumbling throughout the night, I thought I would put together a 22 (assuming no injuries) that I think would address those weaknesses (speed, clean hands) against a side that doesn’t possess a lot of tall timber.

Williams Weitering Marchbank
Docherty McGovern Saad
Walsh Cripps O’Brien
De Koning Hewett Cerra
Martin Silvagni Fisher
Durdin McKay Curnow
Boyd Cuningham Cottrell Honey
Sub: Stocker

This side would be much better equipped to manage daring transitions from defence to offence, while still being ferocious tacklers.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

After last night’s terrible performance where we were consistently second to the ball and again didn’t handle slippery conditions, constantly fumbling throughout the night, I thought I would put together a 22 (assuming no injuries) that I think would address those weaknesses (speed, clean hands) against a side that doesn’t possess a lot of tall timber.

Williams Weitering Marchbank
Docherty McGovern Saad
Walsh Cripps O’Brien
De Koning Hewett Cerra
Martin Silvagni Fisher
Durdin McKay Curnow
Boyd Cuningham Cottrell Honey
Sub: Stocker

This side would be much better equipped to manage daring transitions from defence to offence, while still being ferocious tacklers.

I just don't know how we'd go playing Gov or Marchy on an opposition's 2nd key forward, it just doesn't sit right with me.

I just don't know how we'd go playing Gov or Marchy on an opposition's 2nd key forward, it just doesn't sit right with me.

I think against most sides who have a quality super tall forward or two it would be a stretch but I think Marchy with his smarts could handle someone like Himmelberg. Young was a liability with his refusal to attempt to mark and a number of other errors last night. I think the days where defenders just spoil everything are behind us so Young has to do something to regain his confidence during the week.

If it costs us a couple of goals where we get outmarked in the D50 but we’re better able to rebound and score more fluently it could be a better outcome.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back