Strategy Best 22 in 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Disagree.

He was electric for a good portion of 2021 and was a vote off B&F runner up.

I hadn't seen a quality running halfback like that in our colours for years.
his season was massively overrated in 2021. disposal numbers massively inflated by regularly taking kickouts and the fact that we were so bad that the footy was down there a lot.

i think he does provide good run and speed, so we're not completely past our need for him yet, but he makes far too basic mistakes when under no pressure at all, and in an area of the ground where they do the most damage.

If he was displaced from the first 22, who could we rely on to kick regular shanks into the crowd or take flying shots from 50 and miss every single time?
As an old made used to say, he’s got a foot like a Toblerone

The forward line of…

Zurhaar Larkey Sheezel
Curtis Comben Thomas

Adam Sandler GIF

Hall is best 22.

In fact he's in the top half of that 22 considering our talent and qualities.

How is Hall's Hovercraft going The Other Dean?

Beginning to show a few signs of age but still capable of getting the job done.

8a717e2c26c4831cf56e653ad4b4a031.gif

Aaron is a line-breaker in a team of statues that has been asked to carry far too much weight on his shoulders in recent times. I know people get hung up over the shanks but working on percentages (of the stuff that he nails without issue), he's clearly a footballer blessed with plenty of class and talent. I'm confident that a wily operator like Alastair Coyote will be able to reduce our reliance on him, while still putting his considerable strengths to good use.

Either way, IMHO he remains an asset to both the side and the club. Fully expect to see him running out for us come Round 1.

I reckon Wardlaw might be kept in cotton wool through pre-season and play seconds for the first few games.I would have Hall in our best 22

B: Corr McKay Perez
HB: McDonald Logue Sleevo
C: Tucker LDU Powell
HF: Thomas Comben Taylor
F: Curtis Larkey Zurhaar
R: CCJ Jy Phillips
I: Sheezel Goater Cunners Goldy/Xerri
Sub: Wardlaw

Emg: Ford, Bonar, Dawson, Hall, Greenwood, Cooper Harvey, Scott, Ziebell, Archer, young
Wow you’re coming around , Scott is eighth in line for the emergency role.

Good job

I still think we are going to struggle a little next year, especially early, but with the top end talent we have accumulated over the last few seasons the jump is going to quick and may even be a substantial jump, perhaps from 16th to 5th from one season to the next.

I still think we are going to struggle a little next year, especially early, but with the top end talent we have accumulated over the last few seasons the jump is going to quick and may even be a substantial jump, perhaps from 16th to 5th from one season to the next.
After a few quiet ales, I can see how we could finish around 11th in 2023.

After a few quiet ales, I can see how we could finish around 11th in 2023.

I will await the draw and yes, I'm not sure 11th is beyond us tbh.

Yes I missed the Cooper Harvey, I thought Cooper was a Surname and he was some random rookie Cat B selection out of Iowa USA. Thus why I could see Mr Cooper ahead of Scott in your squad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B: Corr McKay Perez
HB: McDonald Logue Sleevo
C: Tucker LDU Powell
HF: Thomas Comben Taylor
F: Curtis Larkey Zurhaar
R: CCJ Jy Phillips
I: Sheezel Goater Cunners Goldy/Xerri
Sub: Wardlaw

Emg: Ford, Bonar, Dawson, Hall, Greenwood, Cooper Harvey, Scott, Ziebell, Archer, young
you've never seen Tucker play but you have him on a wing??

Best 2023 with draft pick next to them
FB - Corr (14), McKay (21), McDonald (8)
CHB - T Thomas (8), G Logue (8), A Hall (Rookie)
C - B Scott (49), B Cunnington (5), D Tucker (27)
CHF - J Stevenson (6), C Comben (30), H Sheezal (3)
FF - C Zurhaar (rookie), N Larkey (73), P Curtis (35)
Ruck - T Goldstein (37), LDU (4), Jy Simpkin (12)
Bench - W Phillips (3), T Powell (13), CCJ (20), G Wardlaw (4), J Goater (22)

That is serious high end talent accross all lines. Last time Clarko had access to talent he created one of the best teams we have seen in the last 30 years.

Never been more excited to see what he can do with this level talent.

Best 22

B: Corr, McKay, McDonald
HB: Goater, Logue, Thomas
C: Tucker, Cunnington, Scott
HF: Stephenson, Comben, Sheezel
F: Zurhaar, Larkey, Curtis
Foll: Goldy, LDU, Simpkin
Int: Phillips, Powell, Taylor, CCJ
Sub: ?

VFL

B: Archer, Dawson, Bonar
HB: Perez, xxxx , Hall
C: Bergman, Greenwood, Young
HF: Mahony, xxxx , Ford
F: Ziebell, Edwards, Spicer
Foll: Xerri, Wardlaw, Shiels
Int: Lazzaro, xxxx, xxxx, xxxx

Best 22

B: Corr, McKay, McDonald
HB: Goater, Logue, Thomas
C: Tucker, Cunnington, Scott
HF: Stephenson, Comben, Sheezel
F: Zurhaar, Larkey, Curtis
Foll: Goldy, LDU, Simpkin
Int: Phillips, Powell, Taylor, CCJ
Sub: ?

VFL

B: Archer, Dawson, Bonar
HB: Perez, xxxx , Hall
C: Bergman, Greenwood, Young
HF: Mahony, xxxx , Ford
F: Ziebell, Edwards, Spicer
Foll: Xerri, Wardlaw, Shiels
Int: Lazzaro, xxxx, xxxx, xxxx
Pretty decent VFL side

I’ve thought we had a pretty decent VFL side every year since we won the flag as Nth Ballarat. Never seems to work out that way. Here’s hoping as it means we finally have depth
Here's hoping this guy can point them in the right direction
images (2) (13).jpeg

Best 2023 with draft pick next to them
FB - Corr (14), McKay (21), McDonald (8)
CHB - T Thomas (8), G Logue (8), A Hall (Rookie)
C - B Scott (49), B Cunnington (5), D Tucker (27)
CHF - J Stevenson (6), C Comben (30), H Sheezal (3)
FF - C Zurhaar (rookie), N Larkey (73), P Curtis (35)
Ruck - T Goldstein (37), LDU (4), Jy Simpkin (12)
Bench - W Phillips (3), T Powell (13), CCJ (20), G Wardlaw (4), J Goater (22)

That is serious high end talent accross all lines. Last time Clarko had access to talent he created one of the best teams we have seen in the last 30 years.

Never been more excited to see what he can do with this level talent.
This is pretty much bang on our best 22.

I'd have a question mark on Sheez for now and I think Goater ahead of Wardlaw balances that bench out a bit better (considering how our options). But big agree on the vast majority of this.

Last edited:
I think if Comben can stay fit, he will end up being full forward with Larkey playing CHF and able to run up the ground. Larkey played on a wing at times in juniors.

I doubt Stephenson plays round 1. Don’t expect Clarko and Viney to put up with his crap.
I look at it a little differently, unlike last year he had no his hap this off-season (appears settled with his new gf) therefor will get a full preseason, hopefully training in a role that Clarko can use his strengths - Wing/HFF.

Hopeful that Clarkson gets the best out of him.

I look at it a little differently, unlike last year he had no his hap this off-season (appears settled with his new gf) therefor will get a full preseason, hopefully training in a role that Clarko can use his strengths - Wing/HFF.

Hopeful that Clarkson gets the best out of him.
Same. He can still be a star if he gets his confidence up. Just need to go back to WCE 2021 to see what he is capable of

Remove this Banner Ad

Back