Strategy Best 22 in 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

But now I'm thinking you're right, it'll go a step further and they'll play. It will be up to the young ones to take the spot off them.

Which means there's going to be a lot of unhappy and shocked ppl when the round 1 team is announced :sweatsmile:

Yep. And nothing wrong with that and setting some expectations under a new regime - particularly if performance is rewarded strongly at VFL & AFL level.

We have a lot of talent now so we finally have some players having to fight for their spots. Imo with this group and a coach who knows what to do , it will click in a match against a good opponent, players will start getting belief and we will once again be a consistent team. No guarantees how far we will go, hopefully Premierships, but this club will at some stage in the not too distant future be a good competitive team again.

How many games can we expect Shiels and Howe to play this year? Just out of curiosity.

My guess is less than 5 games for Shiels in the seniors given the real focus for him will be providing leadership in training and vfl for the younger players coming through.

Howe I can see playing anyway from 5-15 depending on injuries/form/competition for spots

Wouldn’t be surprised if we go something like the below for round 1

Lmac Bmac corr
Hall logue Thomas
Howe Cunnington shiels
Zurhaar Comben sleevo
Curtis Larkey sheezel
Goldie Jy LDU

WAP, Powell, Scott, goater, young.

I think Howe and shield will definitely play. Can also see JZ, greenwood and CCJ in the mix. Would think we would start with our more experienced line ups

Wouldn’t be surprised if we go something like the below for round 1

Lmac Bmac corr
Hall logue Thomas
Howe Cunnington shiels
Zurhaar Comben sleevo
Curtis Larkey sheezel
Goldie Jy LDU

WAP, Powell, Scott, goater, young.

I think Howe and shield will definitely play. Can also see JZ, greenwood and CCJ in the mix. Would think we would start with our more experienced line ups
Hmm I wrote almost exactly the same lineup down earlier today.
Only differences were:
  • Howe as sub
  • Scott onfield as winger
  • one of CCJ/X on the bench instead of young or Goater

Hmm I wrote almost exactly the same lineup down earlier today.
Only differences were:
  • Howe as sub
  • Scott onfield as winger
  • one of CCJ/X on the bench instead of young or Goater
Underrate Curtis Taylor at your own peril

first choice winger as he was most of last year

Underrate Curtis Taylor at your own peril

first choice winger as he was most of last year
I enjoy watching the kid, but I find it hard to believe that Shiels and Howe have been brought in to lift standards and that at least one won't play round 1 on the wing. I could see Taylor coming back in later.
Surely your best mate Scott won't be dropped for round 1.

I enjoy watching the kid, but I find it hard to believe that Shiels and Howe have been brought in to lift standards and that at least one won't play round 1 on the wing. I could see Taylor coming back in later.
Surely your best mate Scott won't be dropped for round 1.
They are there to lift training standards and help develop our kids faster in the vfl imo

No club wanted either hawk on their list. Think of them as playing assistant coaches aka what Tom lynch was going to be for us

They are there to lift training standards and help develop our kids faster in the vfl imo

No club wanted either hawk on their list. Think of them as playing assistant coaches aka what Tom lynch was going to be for us
I’ll still be genuinely surprised if neither Shiels nor Howe play round one mate

Reckon you are about to be surprised then

Were you surprised when Tom lynch didn’t play round 1 for us last year?
Not particularly. Howe doesn’t strike me as someone who’s gonna become an assistant coach at the age of 28.
And Shiels seems to want to be involved in drafting, which is a bit different again to what Lynch was setting out to do.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but after last years track reports came in, I don’t remember too many accounts of best 22s featuring Lynch?

Not particularly. Howe doesn’t strike me as someone who’s gonna become an assistant coach at the age of 28.
And Shiels seems to want to be involved in drafting, which is a bit different again to what Lynch was setting out to do.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but after last years track reports came in, I don’t remember too many accounts of best 22s featuring Lynch?
I’d have to go back but I do recall seeing the odd team thinking he could feature early on in the year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lynch was brought in as a coach who could play as a break glass option. He never trained with the senior team.

Howe and Shiels haven't missed a session. They've been recruited as players, not coaches. Completely different scenarios.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

B McDonald Mckay Corr
HB Goater Logue Perez
C Thomas LDU Taylor
HF Stephenson Larkey Sheezel
F Curtis Comben Zuurhuar
FOLL- Goldstein Phillips Simpkin
I/C- Cunnington, CCJ, Powell, Zieball
TT is training at halfback, Scott will have a wing.
Suspect Tucker will be in the mix too, possibly at the expense of Ziebell, eventually.

I have made a couple of changes due to injuries and balance after reading a few pre-season reports:

FB - A Corr - B McKay - L McDonald
CHB - A Hall - G Logue - T Thomas
C - T Powell - B Cunnington - B Scott
CHF - J Stevenson - C Comben - H Sheezal
FF - C Zurhaar - N Larkey - P Curtis
Ruck - T Goldstein - J Simpkin - LDU
Bench - CCJ - W Phillips - D Howe - J Goater

Next up I would have
Defenders - J Archer / K Dawson / F Perez
Mids - We are skinny for back up mids, probably Shiels from Greenwood
Forwards - We are also skinny here, probably Ford followed by Mahoney

If/when Tucker is fit he would come straight into the team at the expense of Howe or Powell.

I like this backline;

FB: Corr - McKay - McDonald
HB: Goater - Logue - Thomas

Tons of size and athleticism. My only worry would be McDonald matching up against small forwards. I would maybe move McDonald up the wing and bring in a smaller back pocket.

In the middle I would go;

C: Scott - LDU - Taylor
Foll: Goldy - Simpkin - Cunnington

Shiels or Howe or Powell might end up taking a wing spot, but I like Taylor there. I think that the rest is pretty set.

My forward line would be;

HF: Stevo - Comben - Sheezel
FF: Zurhaar - Larkey - Curtis

Stevo is the borderline case here. If we need more tackling pressure up forward then maybe we move him out.

The interchange is tough to cut down. I would probably go;

Powell, Phillips, Hall, Howe, Greenwood

I might swap out one of them for CCJ to get a backup ruck.

I like this backline;

FB: Corr - McKay - McDonald
HB: Goater - Logue - Thomas

Tons of size and athleticism. My only worry would be McDonald matching up against small forwards. I would maybe move McDonald up the wing and bring in a smaller back pocket.

In the middle I would go;

C: Scott - LDU - Taylor
Foll: Goldy - Simpkin - Cunnington

Shiels or Howe or Powell might end up taking a wing spot, but I like Taylor there. I think that the rest is pretty set.

My forward line would be;

HF: Stevo - Comben - Sheezel
FF: Zurhaar - Larkey - Curtis

Stevo is the borderline case here. If we need more tackling pressure up forward then maybe we move him out.

The interchange is tough to cut down. I would probably go;

Powell, Phillips, Hall, Howe, Greenwood

I might swap out one of them for CCJ to get a backup ruck.
No JZ?

Funnily enough, the gaping, effing black hole at CHF was almost precisely Lynch shaped.

We were desperate for anyone with a bit of strength of mobility to repeat lead and mark across HF to provide an option for the mids and backs to kick to.

Instead, we chose to play no one there really until halfway through the season and Larkey’s and Zurhaar’s years suffered because of it.

The only thing stopping this from occurring once again is the form and fitness of a great white hope, 2 game player (who I have all fingers and toes crossed with continue his good preseason and flourish).

Ok, I’ve said my piece.

FB: Corr McKay McDonald
HB: Thomas Logue Perez
CL: Scott Cunnington Tucker
HF: Curtis Comben Stepho
FF: Sheezel Larkey Zurhaar
RR: Goldstein, LDU, Simpkin
IB: Phillips, Young, Taylor, Shiel

Real dogfight for half back between Thomas, Perez, Young, Goater, Drury and Archer - probably 3 spots up for grab but hard to split them.

B McDonald Mckay Corr
HB Goater Logue Perez
C Thomas LDU Taylor
HF Stephenson Larkey Sheezel
F Curtis Comben Zuurhuar
FOLL- Goldstein Phillips Simpkin
I/C- Cunnington, CCJ, Powell, Zieball

Scott will take one wing.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

This is where I'm at currently as my potential round one lineup.

FB: McDonald, McKay, Dawson
HB: Perez, Logue, Goater
C: Scott, Cunnington, Shiels
HF: Simpkin, Larkey, Curtis
FF: Zurhaar, Comben, Sheezel
R: Goldstein, LDU, Phillips
INT: Greenwood, Powell, Stephenson, Ziebell
SUB: Turner

Some notes:
- Corr and Hall are in a battle to get fit enough and find form in time to reclaim their spot from younger players who have had full preseasons. Both are worthy of a spot if 100% fit.
- Stephenson is hanging onto his spot by a thread, but is saved by our poor forward depth.
- I've gone heavy on midfielders, but it sounds like Clarko wants those guys aggressively rotating forward.
- Ziebell gets the round one start as the seventh defender, but Archer and Drury will be hot on his heels and looking to take his spot.
- I previously had Tucker, Howe, and Taylor in my side, but we're close enough to the practice games now where their absence is too concerning.
- The above point is how I've ended up with Turner as my sub.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back