Strategy Best 22 in 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Now that it’s reported that Corr and Tucker will miss the start of the season, and TT most likely, you’d think … but what do we really know?

FB: LMAC . McKay . Dawson
HB: Perez . Logue . Goater
C: Scott . Cunners . Shiel
HF: Curtis . Comben . Simpkin
FF: The bull . Larks . Cheez
R: Goldy. LDU . Will P
Int: Greenwood . Ziebs. Hall . Howe . Taylor

Tough picking that. Went for some old heads as I think Al will want some reliability … or will offer some fellas chance to show reliability. Such a shame about TT!

Expecting boys in the twos to be banging down the door … Powell, Archer etc

Now that it’s reported that Corr and Tucker will miss the start of the season, and TT most likely, you’d think … but what do we really know?

FB: LMAC . McKay . Dawson
HB: Perez . Logue . Goater
C: Scott . Cunners . Shiel
HF: Curtis . Comben . Simpkin
FF: The bull . Larks . Cheez
R: Goldy. LDU . Will P
Int: Greenwood . Ziebs. Hall . Howe . Taylor

Tough picking that. Went for some old heads as I think Al will want some reliability … or will offer some fellas chance to show reliability. Such a shame about TT!

Expecting boys in the twos to be banging down the door … Powell, Archer etc
Powell is a first 18 player ditto Taylor

I reckon CCJ plays also to rotate with Goldy

From what we've witnessed so far:

Def: McKay, McDonald, Ziebell, Logue (assuming his fingers are still intact)

Wings: Scott, Shiels

Middle: Goldstein, Cunnington, Simpkin, LDU, Phillips, Powell.

Forward: Larkey, Zurhaar, Comben, Curtis, Sheezel.

Leaves 6 spots....Goater, Perez, Young, Greenwood, Stephenson, Hall, Taylor ( injury status?) Xerri, CCJ, Drury, Turner, Bonar, Archer.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

From what we've witnessed so far:

Def: McKay, McDonald, Ziebell, Logue (assuming his fingers are still intact)

Wings: Scott, Shiels

Middle: Goldstein, Cunnington, Simpkin, LDU, Phillips, Powell.

Forward: Larkey, Zurhaar, Comben, Curtis, Sheezel.

Leaves 6 spots....Goater, Perez, Young, Greenwood, Stephenson, Hall, Taylor ( injury status?) Xerri, CCJ, Drury, Turner, Bonar, Archer.

It’s hard to fit them all in isn’t it? I hope Powell is in too, but between Al and Rats, two quality coaches in my opinion, they will select the best team from their sharp footy brains 🙂

Now that Thomas will obviously be out, I'll add Taylor. Maybe Shiels. We alway's seem to get kicked in the guts around pre season. Corr is going to be racing against time, as is Logue.

Bailey Scott is about as big a lock to start on a wing as McKay is to start at full back.

"Disagree" all you like Nostra.

Damus:
dumb and dumber to GIF

Interesting that Shiels doesn’t get a gig, tho most around here think he is likely

still trying to process how we can’t find a spot for Goater, seems a far more obvious 23rd player than Powell

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting that Shiels doesn’t get a gig, tho most around here think he is likely

still trying to process how we can’t find a spot for Goater, seems a far more obvious 23rd player than Powell
Well, on that thinking, Goat should be in the 18 - because Powell should be.

If Powell gets a decent run at it - he'll improve panels this year. He can seriously play.

Bailey Scott is about as big a lock to start on a wing as McKay is to start at full back.

"Disagree" all you like Nostra.

Damus:
dumb and dumber to GIF
If one is dealing in reality, then Scott is an absolute lock for Rd 1.

One trip to training or actually paying attention to training reports would confirm that.

Is it fair to say that there are three main unknowns about who will be selected for round 1?

There are:
  • a few medium defender options
  • whether Clarko goes for a 2 ruck set-up
  • whether Sheezel gets swung back to HBF, as suggested in the last match sim.

Assuming TT, Tucker and Corr will all be unavailable for the WC game, are we looking at something like this to begin with?

McDonald - Logue - Ziebell
Hall - McKay - one of Goater/Perez/Young/Archer
Scott - Cunnington - Shiels
Zurhaar - Larkey - Simpkin
Curtis - Comben - Sheezel

FOL: Goldstein - LDU - Phillips

INT: Greenwood - Powell - one of Goater/Perez/Young/Archer - one of CCJ/X/Taylor/Stephenson

SUB: Howe?

(If Sheezel swings back to HBF, I guess that would create an opening for Taylor or Stephenson, presumably at the expense of one of Goater/Perez/Young/Archer.)

Here's my team for RD1 barring any injuries and in consideration of current unavailabilities. I know likely Ziebell plays early on so probably replace him on the bench for Perez or Powell.

B - Dawson - Mckay - Archer
HB - McDonald - Logue - Goater
C - Scott - Cunnington - Shiels
HF - Taylor - Larkey - Zurhaar
F - Curtis - Comben - Sheezel
R - Goldstein - LDU - Simpkin
I - Phillips - Powell - Xerri - Perez
SUB - Greenwood

EMERG - Howe - Ziebell - Young

FB - Ziebell - McKay - McDonald
HB - Hall - Logue - Thomas
C - Shiels - Simpkin - Scott
FOL - Goldstein - Davies-Uniacke - Cunnington
HF - Sheezel - Comben - Stephenson
FF - Zurhaar - Larkey - Curtis

IC - Phillips - Powell - Greenwood - Coleman-Jones
S - Taylor
EM - Goater - Xerri - Perez -

Notes:
  • Injury Omission - Corr, Tucker
  • I personally think Thomas will be back by round 1, however will depend on the work he puts in whilst away from the club, Goater the clear in if he's not ready
  • Taylor & Stephenson toss of a coin, I went Stephenson for no real reason
  • Xerri & CCJ toss of a coin, I went CCJ because I think he's more versatile then X

It's a decent team. A couple of our talented kids are going to miss when we are fully fit, which probably symbolizes improvement. Clarkson & the coaches just need to ensure that every player regardless of age has accountability to their selection.

FB - Ziebell - McKay - McDonald
HB - Hall - Logue - Thomas
C - Shiels - Simpkin - Scott
FOL - Goldstein - Davies-Uniacke - Cunnington
HF - Sheezel - Comben - Stephenson
FF - Zurhaar - Larkey - Curtis

IC - Phillips - Powell - Greenwood - Coleman-Jones
S - Taylor
EM - Goater - Xerri - Perez -

Notes:
  • Injury Omission - Corr, Tucker
  • I personally think Thomas will be back by round 1, however will depend on the work he puts in whilst away from the club, Goater the clear in if he's not ready
  • Taylor & Stephenson toss of a coin, I went Stephenson for no real reason
  • Xerri & CCJ toss of a coin, I went CCJ because I think he's more versatile then X

It's a decent team. A couple of our talented kids are going to miss when we are fully fit, which probably symbolizes improvement. Clarkson & the coaches just need to ensure that every player regardless of age has accountability to their selection.
What makes you think TT will be back for round 1?
His revenge pr0n court date is scheduled between rounds 2 and 3.
At this point, with multiple serious allegations by multiple parties, it'd be quite a "courageous" decision to back him for selection before there's been a judgement and he's either in the clear, or he's been given a slap on the wrist.
By courageous, I mean a bit crazy.

What makes you think TT will be back for round 1?
His revenge pr0n court date is scheduled between rounds 2 and 3.
At this point, with multiple serious allegations by multiple parties, it'd be quite a "courageous" decision to back him for selection before there's been a judgement and he's either in the clear, or he's been given a slap on the wrist.
By courageous, I mean a bit crazy.
Did De Goey play between being charged and his court date?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back