Rioli Balta Brown
Short Prestia Ross
Clarke Koschitzke Baker
Bolton Lynch Martin
Nankervis Taranto Hopper
Broad Banks Sonsie Ryan
SUB: Graham

EMG: Dow, Trezise Pickett, Coulthard, McIntosh, Grimes, MRJ, Bauer, Cumberland

I'd like us to end the year looking something like this. A lot rests on the guys who we invested a lot of capital of drafting a few years ago, where I felt we did a good job of bringing in talent while we were in our window. EMG are guys who I can see having an impact throughout the year. Guys like Campbell, Green and Smith are all unknowns at this stage.

Gibcus, Young, Brown, Clarke, Banks, Sonsie, Coulthard, Trezise, Bauer, Dow

Those guys are the key to us having a quick bounce, and they should be ready to start having an impact. If they come on things aren't nearly as doom and gloom as we are largely made out to be in the media. Then you use our 2024 draft hand to either bring in some high end draftees or a Cadman type to grow with them and we are looking alright. Absolutely key development year though.

B: Noah Balta, Dylan Grimes, Josh Gibcus
HB: Jayden Short, Nick Vlastuin, Daniel Rioli
C: Marlion Pickett, Tim Taranto, Jack Ross
HF: Shai Bolton, Liam Baker, Jack Graham
F: Jacob Koschitzke, Tom Lynch, Dustin Martin
Foll: Toby Nankervis, Dion Prestia, Jacob Hopper
I/C: Nathan Broad, Samson Ryan, Kamdyn McIntosh, Thomson Dow
Emerg: Tylar Young, Noah Cumberland, Maurice Rioli jnr, Sam Banks

Best 26 as selected by AFL site

I’d be hoping the changes from that team are:

Out : Grimes, Pickett, Graham and Macca

In: Young, Banks, T Brown and Cumberland

E: Sonsie, Tresize, Graham, Grimes

Make the senior blokes who had poor 2023 seasons leapfrog the youngsters, not the other way around.

If we play the senior bodies and the new gameplan takes a while to gel and we are 3-8, then the first half of the season will be wasted and the future will look dire. If we turn 3-8 but we’ve pumped half a season into a heap of youngsters then the win-loss won’t really matter.

GWS turned 3-8 or thereabouts in 2023 …. but they’d got stacks of games early into Cadman, Bedford, Idun, Callaghan, Briggs, Brown, Buckley, Angwin and Riccardi … all less than 50-game players heading into the season and GWS were a nose away from a flag. They held their nerve with the youngsters and reaped the rewards.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Gibcus Young Vlastuin
Rioli Balta Brown
Short Prestia Ross
Clarke Koschitzke Baker
Bolton Lynch Martin
Nankervis Taranto Hopper
Broad Banks Sonsie Ryan
SUB: Graham

EMG: Dow, Trezise Pickett, Coulthard, McIntosh, Grimes, MRJ, Bauer, Cumberland

I'd like us to end the year looking something like this. A lot rests on the guys who we invested a lot of capital of drafting a few years ago, where I felt we did a good job of bringing in talent while we were in our window. EMG are guys who I can see having an impact throughout the year. Guys like Campbell, Green and Smith are all unknowns at this stage.

Gibcus, Young, Brown, Clarke, Banks, Sonsie, Coulthard, Trezise, Bauer, Dow

Those guys are the key to us having a quick bounce, and they should be ready to start having an impact. If they come on things aren't nearly as doom and gloom as we are largely made out to be in the media. Then you use our 2024 draft hand to either bring in some high end draftees or a Cadman type to grow with them and we are looking alright. Absolutely key development year though.
What no Broad!?

Kmac, Grimes and Graham are 3 senior players who I Personally wouldn’t play in round one.
Ya just canna pick 3 names out pre-season and say you wont play them!
Smart money is on how those three handle the pre-season and training...
And whether they do all the things asked of them by the coaches!
You reward effort!
Otherwise you get the playing group unsettled!

Kmac, Grimes and Graham are 3 senior players who I Personally wouldn’t play in round one.
Makes no sense for just round 1. Kmac & Grimes need to be fazed out full stop. Graham needs to deliver or also go. Grimes should be rested, no reserves. Retired with dignity.

You reward effort!
Don't startle the Horses!
Horses Seo GIF by Kiwosan

It's quite a challenge to pick our starting team. Would be too easy to go with the familiar faces, but we need to try and improve to move forward.

1701229413491.png

• Guys in Yellow are the non-negotiables. Some might say Grimes is done but if that was the case, we would have delisted him and we wouldn't be suggesting Balta to be playing forward. Same with Kozi, we wouldn't be trading him into the team just to play VFL.
  • Balta forward, yes some of you will say he should play back but from what the club is indicating that's not going to happen, so i have put him forward.
  • I've moved Rioli to a wing, Yze wants us to be more attacking, I see this as a perfect opportunity for Dan to move up the ground a bit more and it frees a spot up for one of our half a dozen back flankers we have to slot into the side. High risk, high reward. If it doesn't work, then Dan goes back to the position he has excelled at in recent years.
  • Players in Orange are the guys I'm hoping really have a great preseason solidify or push their way into our side.
Players in green below are guys I'm hoping can push their way into the side during 2024

1701230022058.png

Players in Blue are players who we have known and loved for years but can see them dropping out, I'm probably pretty harsh on Shorty but I thought he was pretty disappointing in 2023.

1701230067149.png

Last edited:
B: Vlastuin Young Banks
HB: Short Gibcus Bauer
C: Rioli Taranto Ross
HF: Balta Kosi Clarke
F: Martin Lynch Cumberland
Foll: Nankervis Bolton Prestia
Int: Broad Hopper Baker Sonsie
Sub: Dow
Emg: Grimes Ryan Graham

Nice blend of youth and experience
Balta 2nd ruck, plays High half forward
I think Yze will love Clarke and Cumberland so they play if fit.

Ressies:
B: Smith Miller Tresize
HB: Brown Grimes Ralphsmith
C: McIntosh Graham Pickett
HF: Green Fawcett Campbell
F: Coulthard Ryan Mansall
Foll: Naismith McAulliffe MRJ
Int: Colina Schofield VFL VFL

Based on everything I have been hearing and seeing coming out of the first couple of weeks of pre-season, this what I think our current best 23 is.

FB: Young - Gibcus - Vlastuin
HB: Rioli - Balta - Short
C: Banks - Sonsie - Brown
HF: Martin - Kosi - Bolton
FF: Baker - Lynch - Cumberland
FOL: Nank* - Taranto - Hopper

INT: Dow - Graham - Broad - Prestia
Sub: Coulthard

EMG: Tresize - Naismith* - Ross - Grimes
* = Interchangeable

Bauer, Clarke, McIntosh, Pickett etc will all need to work their way into the team.
I was a big Graham non-believer but his second place finish in the 2km time trial tells me he is putting in the work (McIntosh has always been a strong runner so it's less impressive for him).

I s
Based on everything I have been hearing and seeing coming out of the first couple of weeks of pre-season, this what I think our current best 23 is.

* = Interchangeable

Bauer, Clarke, McIntosh, Pickett etc will all need to work their way into the team.
I was a big Graham non-believer but his second place finish in the 2km time trial tells me he is putting in the work (McIntosh has always been a strong runner so it's less impressive for him).
Would be a brave move by a new coach to start Grimes in the VFL, I dont reckon he will have the nuts for it.

I s

Would be a brave move by a new coach to start Grimes in the VFL, I dont reckon he will have the nuts for it.
Probably wouldn't start there. Gibcus won't be ready for round 1. This was just how I see our best team overall and also with the most potential for growth.

Our round 1 team will probably look a bit different.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chucked together in about 5 minutes without any research so might be missing someone obvious:

FBVlaustinYoungGrimes
HBShortBaltaBanks
CRioliTarantoBaker
HFBoltonKoschitzkeSonsie
FFCumberlandLynchClarke
FOLNankervisHopperMartin
INTPrestiaRyanBroadGraham
SUBCoulthard

Would probably have Gibcus over Grimes but wouldn't rush him straight back, give him a few weeks in the 2's to get back used to playing footy.
Main focus was getting our best kicks as the players kicking inside 50, and some ground support once it gets in there

Makes no sense for just round 1. Kmac & Grimes need to be fazed out full stop. Graham needs to deliver or also go. Grimes should be rested, no reserves. Retired with dignity.
Sorry that’s what I meant- from round one and beyond.
Grimes is cooked, Graham is not best 22 and Kmac had a shocking 23 so needs to find form.

You reward effort!
No I’m basing it on last years performance and senior players who should not be getting a game. We have youngsters who can step up. This is not the dynasty era anymore. We still have a good core but it’s time the youngsters got a real crack.

I reckon Grimes will bounce back this year. He’s a proud man. He’d know he had a poor season and be keen to bounce back.

I think Young won’t progress as much this year and will spend a lot of time in the VFL especially with Gibcus hopefully returning

* = Interchangeable

sonsie

mcmahon-crying-he-was-special.gif

I reckon Grimes will bounce back this year. He’s a proud man. He’d know he had a poor season and be keen to bounce back.

I think Young won’t progress as much this year and will spend a lot of time in the VFL especially with Gibcus hopefully returning
Love to see it but I think he's cooked. Certainly shouldn't be named captain so we don't have our own Tom Jonas situation.

Barring unforeseeable catastrophes with injuries, what possible reason could you have to expect Young not to progress?

young has shown way more than gibcus

gibcus played half a game in early 22 and thats its

Barring unforeseeable catastrophes with injuries, what possible reason could you have to expect Young not to progress?

Just don’t think he has much of a ceiling compared to Gibcus who has huge potential. Can’t see Young getting much better than what we saw from him in 2023

Reckon they're both better than a kick to the ****. Hopefully they both play a full season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back