Club Legend
Nov 7, 2002
Parky.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Doggies
My favourite obscure flicks -

Southern Comfort (the old one, not the weird art house one about transvestite hillbillies in the Appalachians). A really cool flick about a bunch of army reservists getting lost and ultimately hunted down in the Louisiana swamplands, feels and plays out like a Vietnam film for about the first twenty minutes, then goes nuts when they pretend to shoot (as it's an in-country training mission they've only got blanks) a Cajun fisherman whose boat they've stolen, a move they realise wasn't particularly bright when the Cajuns start firing back with real ammo.

It's a really disturbing antidote to watch after 'Hamburger Hill', or any of the flicks made around then. It gets more and more like Deliverance as it goes on, only with less squealing.

Taxi Blues, it's a classic, but it's Russian, and hard to find... SBS played it a little while ago.

Anybody?

Originally posted by PeteLX
Mystery Train - Directed by Jim Jarmusch. I love it, but no-one I know has heard of it.

Saw that one in the cinema and actually have a Mystery Train zippo lighter that has served me well over the years. Great movie with a soundtrack to match.

Screamin' Jay & Joe Strummer...how sadly missed they are.

Originally posted by Richoagain
My favourite obscure flicks -

Southern Comfort (the old one, not the weird art house one about transvestite hillbillies in the Appalachians). A really cool flick about a bunch of army reservists getting lost and ultimately hunted down in the Louisiana swamplands, feels and plays out like a Vietnam film for about the first twenty minutes, then goes nuts when they pretend to shoot (as it's an in-country training mission they've only got blanks) a Cajun fisherman whose boat they've stolen, a move they realise wasn't particularly bright when the Cajuns start firing back with real ammo.

It's a really disturbing antidote to watch after 'Hamburger Hill', or any of the flicks made around then. It gets more and more like Deliverance as it goes on, only with less squealing.

That film also has a superb Ry Cooder score. Walter Hill was at a bit of a creative peak around that time, just prior to it the helmed the fine "The Long Riders", carrying the can for the sort of thing Sam Peckinpah was doing. A pity these days he can barely get a project up.

actually have a Mystery Train zippo lighter that has served me well over the years.
Screamin' Jay & Joe Strummer...how sadly missed they are. [/B]

Where'd you get the lighter? Wow! So much for no-one knowing Mystery Train! Took, what, 5 minutes? :D

Originally posted by PeteLX
Where'd you get the lighter? Wow! So much for no-one knowing Mystery Train! Took, what, 5 minutes? :D

heh..I was passing through here at the right time.

I'm a bit of a nut for Jim Jarmursch films and when this was released I saw it opening weekend at the Brighton Bay cinema. At the counter they were selling Mystery Train lighters and T-Shirts. So I picked up one of each and they even chucked in a one sheet poster of the movie too. I still have the T-Shirt and even wear it occasionally. It features the title and artwork on the front (same as the lighter) and on the back the Disc Jockey speil that Tom Waits provides on the radio soundtrack.

By the way, watch out for Jim Jarmursch's "Coffee and Cigarettes" coming soon, featuring everyone from Iggy Pop, Tom Waits and Steve Buscemi to Roberto Benigni, Bill Murray and Cate Blanchett. Good reviews at Venice, I hope it gets out here soon. One of the last of the really idiosyncratic maverick American film makers, is Jarmursch and it is always heartening to find another fan.

A Russian movie that unfortunately I don't think has been translated into English(fortunately for me I speak Russian) called "Brat II"(English Translation = "Brother II"). A brilliant movie.

Mine is a bit low brow (its a Western...)

The Cheyenne Social club with Jimmy Stewart and Henry Fonda
http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0065542/

Bloody funny, especially the opening titles.

Gloomy Sunday, a German/Hungarian film set in WWII. Partly about a restaurateur being taken away by the Nazis, and partly about a song which made people kill themselves in the 30s.

Originally posted by the_big_sav
cannibal the musical is an absolute classic

it was the first movie matt stone and trey parker made it is hilarious

I've seen this many times. I was gonna suggest it before, but it probably just misses out on this certain category.

With repeat viewings, many will like it better than the subsequent flicks by these two. Keep an ear out for the "Fudge, Packer?" reference.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has to be "They Live"..one of John Carpenters movies with Rowdy Roddy Piper as the lead...

I'm so surprised that anyone I talk to about it has never heard of it.

Such a great movie!

'The Duelists'.

Early Ridley Scott film set in the Napoleonic Wars about two soldiers who cross paths over a period of several years about unresolved honour.

Big sweeping movie with a small centralised focus on two charcters.

Colossus, the Forbin Project. Based on a novel about a super computer that takes over (with its Russian counter-part) the Earth. Ive heard about a sequel but never seen it.

Originally posted by Winmar
Gloomy Sunday, a German/Hungarian film set in WWII. Partly about a restaurateur being taken away by the Nazis, and partly about a song which made people kill themselves in the 30s.

I really enjoyed that film when it was shown on SBS last year (I think). Erika was stunning.

The film I love that no one else has heard of is a little French Thriller shown on SBS about 5 years ago called Sweetheart (Toutes Peines Confondues). An French Policemen uses the death of a Gangster's mother as a reason the intrude into the Gangsters private life. Unbeknownst to him, the Gangster's wife is a convicted theif being blackmailed by Interpol into giving information. When the Policemen lets this slip all hell breaks loose. The added bonus with this film is my favourite actress and the most beautiful woman I have ever met stars as the wife, Mathilda May.

Eleven Men Against Eleven - nice little British film about a struggling soccer club starring James Bolam

Maslins Beach - classic South Aussie flick with plenty of nudie bits

Originally posted by Grendel
:eek:

Youv'e MET Mathilda May!!!

:eek:

In the immortal words of the prisoner they finaly hung the right way up in Life of Brian, "you lucky lucky B%#&@!!"

She made a film in Australia called Isabella Eberhardt (1991), and my cousin was one of the Cameramen. When he found out I was a huge Mathilda fan, he introduced me to her and we talked for about an hour and had lunch together. She didn't really know anybody else, so she invited me to dinner a few times as well.

She is so so sooooo stunning, the camera doesn't do her justice. And she is so talented as well. She was a classically trained ballerina, she released a couple of albums, and she is fluent in 4 or 5 languages. My wife hates her because I have been talking about it being the greatest time of my life for almost a decade and a half. I think she's jealous.:D

Originally posted by DEVO
My wife hates her because I have been talking about it being the greatest time of my life for almost a decade and a half. I think she's jealous.:D

You think your wifes jealous, I wanna clock you one just for the frustration Im feeling now!!!

Kidding... I think ;)

Excellent Film, One of my favourites. Looks great, edge of your seat thriller, funny. "Theme from Sourthern Comfort" by Ry Cooder is incredible.
"Amateur" and "Book of Life" by Hal Hartley are also really good films that raent really popular.

Originally posted by robbie67
Sumo Do, Sumo Don't. - Very funny Japanese flick.

we watched that in Japenese in year 8, its awesome!

Another favourite is the Matt Stone, Trey Parker, Cannibal the Musical... :p "The sky is blue, the grass is green and the sun is like a great big potato"

Last year we watched a film on the Spanish Civil War, Land and Freedom, pretty amazing stuff...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back