Opinion Best player in the game going into 2022?

Who is the best player in the competition going into 2022

• Bontempelli

Votes: 72 26.7%
  • Oliver

Votes: 52 19.3%
  • Petracca

Votes: 59 21.9%
  • Martin

Votes: 34 12.6%
  • Greene

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Other

Votes: 44 16.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Sour grapes? Why don't you just concentrate on how the dogs are going to have to change their whole game style now that ducking and drawing free kicks isn't going to be rewarded like it was in 2021.
Will limit the amount of possessions flop-Oliver gets too ;)

Rubbish, it's all talk about some guy who hasn't done sh*t for 12 months.

That said, you can't have a thread about the best players in the AFL and not have a whole lot of really nice conversation about Melbourne Demons. We have three players who have a fair claim on that title.

Which is pretty bloody amazing tbh.
Here we go, I literally have one of the first posts stating Petracca. Obviously you have 3 of the best players all very worthy of the title. The issue is a certain one of your posters regularly highjacks numerous threads and turns them into primarily Melbourne discussions that would be much better served on the Melbourne board.

Will limit the amount of possessions flop-Oliver gets too ;)
Coming from a dogs supporter. How rich. How bad is your culture going when you have a 2nd year player in Weightman flopping in about 4 contests on grand finals day. Can't blame the kid when he has Macrae (in my display pic) and Hunter as mentors :)

Some interesting debate going on here (and some less than interesting). A few comments:

- Love to see Sean Darcy getting some mentions in Top 10 players, could go down as one of the best pieces of drafting across the league in the last 5-10 years - none of the phantoms had him in the Top 50 and many didn't feature him at all. The prospect of a combination of Darcy, Brayshaw and Serong is the reason most Freo fans are sad but not devastated that Cerra wanted to go back to Victoria.

- Fyfe is one of the best players to have run out in the AFL in the last 15 years, possibly at his best (first half of 2015) only GAJ has played better, but not even the most purple glasses wearing Docker fan would have him in the conversation for best player in the game right now. To be honest, most of us are holding our breath that he can even get on the ground in the next six months. If we get another 50 games out of playing to 50/60% of his ceiling when he was a bit younger and less bashed up then he's still going to feature very high in B&F counts.

- Who do I think is the best player in the game, can't really decide between Bontempelli and Oliver.

Has there ever been a weaker list of top players in the game?
I can’t see any Judd, Ablett or Franklin types who were at times talked about possibly being some of the best players ever. It’s funny though because going off the Brownlow certain individuals have never been so dominant; having no taggers is probably behind that though

I can’t see any Judd, Ablett or Franklin types who were at times talked about possibly being some of the best players ever. It’s funny though because going off the Brownlow certain individuals have never been so dominant; having no taggers is probably behind that though
Its far from judd, ablett, n.riewoldt, franklin level.

its not even dangerfield, martin, fyfe, franklin level from 2015-19.

i dont think its evef been this weak. the game lacks stars.

petracca is the only one with genuine potential to be at the level of the greats of the past.

Its far from judd, ablett, n.riewoldt, franklin level.

its not even dangerfield, martin, fyfe, franklin level from 2015-19.

i dont think its evef been this weak. the game lacks stars.

petracca is the only one with genuine potential to be at the level of the greats of the past.
Bont at 26 has

4 x B&F
ALFCA player of the year
Leigh Matthews trophy
Premiership
4 x AA

He absolutely could end up at the same level as some of those other greats

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bont at 26 has

4 x B&F
ALFCA player of the year
Leigh Matthews trophy
Premiership
4 x AA

He absolutely could end up at the same level as some of those other greats
So what? Im not arguing he aint one of the best of the current batch. Im arguing the current batch isnt all that good compared to previous. If he doesnt have the competition for those awards then he can clean up in them. Regardless of how good the elite talent is they give out the same amount of awards each year.

if they said one year they aint giving out as many AA cos the talent wasnt good enough you might have a point.

So what? Im not arguing he aint one of the best of the current batch. Im arguing the current batch isnt all that good compared to previous. If he doesnt have the competition for those awards then he can clean up in them. Regardless of how good the elite talent is they give out the same amount of awards each year.

if they said one year they aint giving out as many AA cos the talent wasnt good enough you might have a point.
And i was using his accolades as a measure of how well he is tracking, he absolutely could end up in that same bracket of player as Fyfe, Danger, Dusty if he keeps his level over the next 5 or so years.

You are a Geelong supporter, so I know you watched the prelim. You don't think big Maxy stands up as a great ruckman in any generation of footy for instance? Or that Bont who is being called potentially the greatest ever Bulldog player would be a star in any generation?

The game isn't as good as it used to be, the players aren't as good as they used to be blah blah blah

This s**t happens every 5-6 years when the old crop of guns get old. Who will replace the Buckley's, Harvey's ext? Then Judd & Ablett come along. Then as they get old, who will replace them? Then Martin, Fyfe ext come along

It's the same boring theory........

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

There is a large imposing No.23 at Bloodsland running around like a 22 year old at training. He is still the most dynamic forward in the Comp.

May not be the best (whatever that means) but will remain the most fun to watch as he has been since his debut with the Hawks all those years ago.

You are a Geelong supporter, so I know you watched the prelim. You don't think big Maxy stands up as a great ruckman in any generation of footy for instance? Or that Bont who is being called potentially the greatest ever Bulldog player would be a star in any generation?

The game isn't as good as it used to be, the players aren't as good as they used to be blah blah blah

This sh*t happens every 5-6 years when the old crop of guns get old. Who will replace the Buckley's, Harvey's ext? Then Judd & Ablett come along. Then as they get old, who will replace them? Then Martin, Fyfe ext come along

It's the same boring theory........

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
I rate max gawn the best ruckman in 30 years.

but the superstar of the game aint a ruckman.

people arent putting gawn in their lists of top handful of players in the game. They should be.

Oliver won’t be knocked off his mantle. Probably for a long time yet either. Best in the league last year by a country mile. Will gap the opposition further in 2022.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

And yet has no x factor.
Most contested beasts have no speed, but Oliver is explosive.

Most players decelerate at the contest. His former coach Brendan McCartney has stated he's never seen another player accelerate to the contest like Oliver.

He's tough, creative and for an inside mid he has plenty of X-factor. As this short clip of his 2021 shows.

So when comparing apples with apples, i.e. inside mids to other inside mids, he has plenty of ''X-factor''. But if you're comparing him to a crafty forward flanker then it will be different.

Last edited:
Most players decelerate at the contest. His former coach Brendan McCartney has stated he's never seen another player accelerate to the contest like Oliver.

He's tough, creative and for an inside mid he has plenty of X-factor. As this short clip of his 2021 shows.

So when comparing apples with apples, i.e. inside mids to other inside mids, he has plenty of ''X-factor''. But if you're comparing him to a crafty forward flanker then it will be different.

Clearly Brendan McCartney was on one almighty bender during the 2015-2018 Dusty and Danger years. They are both far more explosive and have far more xfactor than Clarry ever has

Is the lack of reigning Brownlow medalist Ollie Wines from this poll affirmation that the umpires couldn’t tell sh*t from clay?
The problem with awards like the brownlow is that you can have a player have 35 and kick 3 and they still get the same amount of votes as a guy who can just get 30 but no one else stands out. Wines is a good player but the games he was getting 3 votes in he was exactly dominating

Back