Best players to never win a club Best and Fairest

Remove this Banner Ad

It's cringe when people talk about these like they mean something. Best player out of 5.5% of all players, oooh!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Franklin only has 1 B&F 2008 the year he kicked over a 100, surprising given how dominant he has been..

To put that into perspective Jack Riewoldt has two Jack Dyer's 2010, 2018.

I think some coaches rate key position players a lot more than others.

Dimma definitely seems to rate them a lot more then the other coaches in the league.
because Rance won in 2015, 2nd in 2016, 2017. Grimes 3rd in 2019 even Lynch got 5th in 2019 above Martin & Houli.
Apparently cooney was better🙄

You see this anomaly most often in long term dominant teams, Like Geelong (Taylor/Bartell), Hawthorn (Rough/Cyril), Hawks 70/80's (Tuck) where some HOF legends like Little Gazza, Hodge/Mitchell and Lethal won the lions share.

But the starnge one for me is Richo only winning one, in his last year.. Those Tiger teams were truly crap, and in retrospect he was the best player on them by a comfortable margin.

You see this anomaly most often in long term dominant teams, Like Geelong (Taylor/Bartell), Hawthorn (Rough/Cyril), Hawks 70/80's (Tuck) where some HOF legends like Little Gazza, Hodge/Mitchell and Lethal won the lions share.

But the starnge one for me is Richo only winning one, in his last year.. Those Tiger teams were truly crap, and in retrospect he was the best player on them by a comfortable margin.

Strangely enough it wasn’t the year you’re thinking of when he nearly won the Brownlow. Deledio won the B&F that year. It was the year before in 2007 that Richo won his only B&F

Easily a top 20 player all time...but only ever the best on his team once
Er, no.
Top 3 player of all time, if not the best. Laughable how he has only saluted once.

Its s**t like this that makes a mockery of these "awards".. Just like the Coach of the year award that Clarkson has never won... lmao....

Doesnt matter, dont need "awards" hanging off people to know they are great.
LOL!!!!!! Very funny.

Similar to Franklin - a B&F is about doing the best for the TEAM - so rather than just count up the most possessions and give that bloke the award, it's who contributes more to the team winning. Therefore, mistakes do matter - and Richo tried to do it all himself far too much (understandable, but not always the best option).
In 2007 - the year he won the B&F - he had 333 possessions playing up forward. In 2008 - his near-Brownlow year, he had 364 possessions - but far, far more uncontested possessions. I mean, what is the point of giving Richo an uncontested possession on the half-back flank? He's an iffy kick, a terrible handpasser and worse decision maker, you definitely don't want him to try and 'run and break lines', and who is he going to kick to anyway? I'd rather have a speedy, neat kicking mid get the ball and kick it to a big forward - like Richo.
I hate to use an american term, but a club B&F is more of an MVP - emphasis on 'valuable' - rather than the most noticeable. For example, a key defender who runs with his opponent all day, and positions himself so that the ball is hardly ever kicked to the key forward in an advantageous position is jusr as valuable as the KPD who does all the valiant spoils, smothers etc.

Help the team win.

Ablett Jr's hardly had a charmed run in the B&F at Geelong with two, one of which was shared. Both premiership years though, so they have maximum value.

As others have mentioned, the amazing thing to me is probably the superstars who still didn't get much love, even in average-to-crap sides. Guys like Richo, Barker, Quinlan and Flower, you'd think they'd be racking them up, Scott West/Bob Skilton/Kevin Murray style. Surprising that Diesel won at Geelong and Carlton but not Sydney. Others in a similar vein are probably Goddard and Salmon.

Similar to Franklin - a B&F is about doing the best for the TEAM - so rather than just count up the most possessions and give that bloke the award, it's who contributes more to the team winning. Therefore, mistakes do matter - and Richo tried to do it all himself far too much (understandable, but not always the best option).
In 2007 - the year he won the B&F - he had 333 possessions playing up forward. In 2008 - his near-Brownlow year, he had 364 possessions - but far, far more uncontested possessions. I mean, what is the point of giving Richo an uncontested possession on the half-back flank? He's an iffy kick, a terrible handpasser and worse decision maker, you definitely don't want him to try and 'run and break lines', and who is he going to kick to anyway? I'd rather have a speedy, neat kicking mid get the ball and kick it to a big forward - like Richo.
I hate to use an american term, but a club B&F is more of an MVP - emphasis on 'valuable' - rather than the most noticeable. For example, a key defender who runs with his opponent all day, and positions himself so that the ball is hardly ever kicked to the key forward in an advantageous position is jusr as valuable as the KPD who does all the valiant spoils, smothers etc.

Help the team win.

Unpopular opinion: some club B&Fs are just as problematic as the Brownlow.

I view any system where the players are given a rating out of 10 with skepticism. It's too easy to unfairly penalise the champion players and too easy to give defenders inflated totals for just playing a solid game.

I'm sure every club has the 'random' winner
Adelaide's 95 Matt Connell definitely a wtf winner when players like Modra, Tyson Edwards and Nigel Smart never got one

To be fair to Connell, he probably deserved that one in context. He was the Crows' leading disposal getter that year (back when 20 disposals was like 30 disposals is today), with a kick-to-handball ratio of greater than 2:1, when simply "getting a kick" still meant something, before efficiency and deeper analysis and defensive play came in. He was a consistent shining light in a s**t side, which had a lot of injuries (eg. 1994 B&F and AA ruck Shaun Rehn playing 3 games, Modra kicking just 42 goals in 16 games), as was Matthew Liptak the following year when he won. They probably could have given 1995 to Andrew Jarman, but Connell was a worthy winner in the context of possibly the Crows' worst ever year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back