Votes: 12 26.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Stanley: 100 games
Murdoch: 92 games
Black: 54 games
GHS: 47 games
Ruggles: 22 games

Plus draftees. It's not great but I don't think it's as dire as you suggest. Most of the above can play a role and I'd add Gregson to the mix of okay role players if he can get healthy.
Given you always have atleast 5 injuries those players will all be in the side. Who are the backups during the high injury times?

Given you always have atleast 5 injuries those players will all be in the side. Who are the backups during the high injury times?

Look if you say mackie lonners and stanley out (from PF) and ablett cguthrie and mccarthy for example that leaves:
Depth
Stanley
Murdoch
Thurlow
Parsons
Gregson
GHS
Black
Ruggles
With Zuthrie Simpson and Cunico and Buzza as ok emerging players.

Even Abbott and House are physically mature players.
With 5 injuries there is still enough depth there.

Its only
Narkle
Esava
Gardner
Henry
Jones
Plus the kids we draft this year
That you wouldn't want to expose and most sides would be stuffed if they had that many injuries that they had to use players 35-40.

Look if you say mackie lonners and stanley out (from PF) and ablett cguthrie and mccarthy for example that leaves:
Depth
Stanley
Murdoch
Thurlow
Parsons
Gregson
GHS
Black
Ruggles
With Zuthrie Simpson and Cunico and Buzza as ok emerging players.

Even Abbott and House are physically mature players.
With 5 injuries there is still enough depth there.

Its only
Narkle
Esava
Gardner
Henry
Jones
Plus the kids we draft this year
That you wouldn't want to expose and most sides would be stuffed if they had that many injuries that they had to use players 35-40.
That doesnt like quite as bad as the previous post. Must of missed a couple of players.

When is the last time geelong has only had 1-2 players from their best team not injured? Has to be atleast 6 years ago. I.e. It basically never happens.

It's not the fact we've had 3-4 of our best 22 out injured that's stuffed us the last few years. It's the fact the players who would normally replace them were out injured at the same time as well, resulting in us having to choose our 3rd or 4th option for that position.

Stewart taylor bews
Tuohy hendo cockatoo
Blicavs s.selwood guthrie
McCarthy hawkins parfitt
Menzel danger ablett
Smith duncan j.selwood
Menegola kolo gregson parsons

Depth
Zuthrie thurlow buzza stanley murdoch simpson cunico ghs ruggles? Gardiner house oconnor narkle jones abbott black

Stewart taylor bews
Tuohy hendo cockatoo
Blicavs s.selwood guthrie
McCarthy hawkins parfitt
Menzel danger ablett
Smith duncan j.selwood
Menegola kolo gregson parsons

Depth
Zuthrie thurlow buzza stanley murdoch simpson cunico ghs ruggles? Gardiner house oconnor narkle jones abbott black
IMO Cockatoo way too valuable as a forward or atleast forward of centre. Plus I wouldn't trust his hamstrings lasting a full game if he's running off HB all day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IMO Cockatoo way too valuable as a forward or atleast forward of centre. Plus I wouldn't trust his hamstrings lasting a full game if he's running off HB all day.
Half the problem up forward is little run off half back. Bews stewart and touhy have begun to rectify this. I think cocky would complete it. Ball movement would then allow our forwards leading room and space. Also strong with good marking and spoiling skill.
Backs himself.
The new line breaking wojo

Half the problem up forward is little run off half back. Bews stewart and touhy have begun to rectify this. I think cocky would complete it. Ball movement would then allow our forwards leading room and space. Also strong with good marking and spoiling skill.
Backs himself.
The new line breaking wojo
I see what your saying but it's a bit like robbing Peter to pay Paul because with the lack of durability with our small forwards in particular he is an 'X factor' that we just don't have otherwise.

I would rather play Thurlow off HB because that's where he was drafted to play and IMO would be now if he didn't do his knee.

I see what your saying but it's a bit like robbing Peter to pay Paul because with the lack of durability with our small forwards in particular he is an 'X factor' that we just don't have otherwise.

I would rather play Thurlow off HB because that's where he was drafted to play and IMO would be now if he didn't do his knee.

Thurlow was fit this season. He just wasn’t selected for the finals.

Thurlow was fit this season. He just wasn’t selected for the finals.
He should have been, we needed run and carry.

Maybe if Thurlow was played more then Motlop could have been played forward and our forward structure might not have looked so s**t.

You'd also think that they prefer to play someone else who doesn't require to be player managed excessively every week.

I personally prefer us getting more games into Buzza if he's going to be the next Ben Brown.
The BB similarity I fear relates mainly to HAIR.
Footy skills-wise there is a huge gulf at present.
It may evolve, but I saw BB in his infancy as a player, and he already had a presence and clear skills both in the air and kicking.

Bews Henderson Stewart
Touhy Taylor Z Guthrie
Duncan Menegola Thurlow
Cockatoo Hawkins Parfitt
Ablett Dangerfield Menzel
Smith J Selwood S Selwood
Buzza Ruggles
C Guthrie McCarthy

Back