Bigfooty General Metal Thread Mk.VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh, what a pity. I'm seeing some band on Friday whose singer has released some highly-rated solo material with his brother-in-law's band that even so doesn't compare to said "some band". Unfortunately I'll be missing this celebration of Australian Rules football at its finest.

I'll be at Shoppo watching Rose Tattoo. Can't wait. Haha.

Dunno about them being at their peak late 90s/early 2000s w/Pantera. Yes they were probably at their biggest but Reinventing the Steel suuuuucked, and it seemed fairly obvious (to me anyway) that it was a band that didn't like each other much but was (more importantly) completely out of ideas.

Wish they'd taken the more extreme elements of Trendkill further. A bit like Slayer after Reign in Blood, or even Metallica after Justice; getting close to the abyss and then hastily beating a retreat from it. Boooo!

I'm in the minority that I love Reinventing. I reckon they hit their maturity with that one.

I reckon they hit their peak with Vulgar Display. However, Cowboys is my fave album. At the time it was exactly what mainstream metal needed - a huge middle finger to everyone celebrating metal’s demise. It came along and made it cool to be metal again. Heavy as *. I loved it and I still think it’s cool now. Post-‘Vulgar’ they went downhill very very quickly. The whole OTT ‘stronger than all’ image, the boneheads it attracted....boring riffs...the tidal wave of black, deathy awesomeness steaming across the seas from Europe sweeping all before it.... I reckon they’d served their ‘purpose’ by then. But it was an important purpose that needed to be served. No denying them that.

FWIW, ‘Power Metal’ is a fantastic album.

Last edited:
Far beyond driven is where its at

Im also happy about machine head re doing burn my eyes

I just don’t get why? Was the metal world crying out for a re-recorded Burn My Eyes? I see it as Machine Head’s best album by a mile. Is there any reason why it needs re-recording? Were the band not happy with the original?

I reckon they hit their peak with Vulgar Display. However, Cowboys is my fave album. At the time it was exactly what mainstream metal needed - a huge middle finger to everyone celebrating metal’s demise. It came along and made it cool to be metal again. Heavy as ****. I loved it and I still think it’s cool now. Post-‘Vulgar’ they went downhill very very quickly. The whole OTT ‘stronger than all’ image, the boneheads it attracted....boring riffs...the tidal wave of black, deathy awesomeness steaming across the seas from Europe sweeping all before it.... I reckon they’d served their ‘purpose’ by then. But it was an important purpose that needed to be served. No denying them that.

FWIW, ‘Power Metal’ is a fantastic album.

By the time they were getting popular I was balls deep in death metal. Thank * for that.

Pantera have a bit of a terrible rep but they can't help their fans or for that matter the (almost universally awful) influence .

he was a hell of a clean singer too.

I would 100000% take Pantera over your Anathema, Opeth, Neo Obliviscaris prog """"metal""" bullshit. They're far closer to the real thing than that garbage.

I think they can take a lot of the ‘blame’ for their chosen image that attracted those stereotypical fans and the awful musical influence they had the longer they hung around. But hey, I was a fan for a time, and as I expressed above, their initial influence was both positive and important and it’s only fair they are acknowledged for that.

Phil does have a really good clean voice (Cemetery Gates is amazing).

Anathema were godly for a while. Crestfallen EP through Judgement are amazing melodic death, melancholic, depressive gloomy doomy masterpieces. Each release moved further away from the death-influence and eventually the wheels fell off at the turn of the century unfortunately. God they’re awful nowadays.

Last edited:
Too hard for me. What band?

Emperor. I'm going on both nights 🖒

My phrasing was in response to deathevocation posting a little earlier that Ihsahn's angL was better than anything Emperor ever produced. Needless to say it got dwwaino and I a little riled up (his brother-in-law is in Leprous, who are also his backing band).

Emperor. I'm going on both nights 🖒

My phrasing was in response to deathevocation posting a little earlier that Ihsahn's angL was better than anything Emperor ever produced. Needless to say it got dwwaino and I a little riled up (his brother-in-law is in Leprous, who are also his backing band).

Oh - got it! Far too cryptic for me I’m afraid ha ha.

So about a week ago the old man turns up at my house. It’s a long drive, particularly for an unscheduled visit. He comes inside and says point blank “can I borrow your Scorpions cds”. I said “listen up, you’ve no business exploring the Scorpions catalogue at your age”.

He wouldn’t back down so I slipped him “Return to Forever” and “Sting in the Tail” thinking this lame sleep-inducing dad-rock might be his idea of good. I waited for his response.

Tonight he msgs me. “This is crap. No balls. What else have you got”.

I called him, proud as punch, explaining these two were just a test. He passed. I will lend him the rest. God bless him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So about a week ago the old man turns up at my house. It’s a long drive, particularly for an unscheduled visit. He comes inside and says point blank “can I borrow your Scorpions cds”. I said “listen up, you’ve no business exploring the Scorpions catalogue at your age”.

He wouldn’t back down so I slipped him “Return to Forever” and “Sting in the Tail” thinking this lame sleep-inducing dad-rock might be his idea of good. I waited for his response.

Tonight he msgs me. “This is crap. No balls. What else have you got”.

I called him, proud as punch, explaining these two were just a test. He passed. I will lend him the rest. God bless him.

Surely your old man is a similar age as them though? Haha. Mine won't progress past outlaw country.

Apparently that new Manowar ep is out. Not on Spotify yet. Will continue with Unanimated.
A new EP? I thought they were pretty much done. Hopefully it's better than the shithouse rerecordings they've been doing.

Nothing quite sums up the awful and unescapable process of time more than hearing Eric Adams and co trying to redo Battle Hymns

Apparently that new Manowar ep is out. Not on Spotify yet. Will continue with Unanimated.

A new EP? I thought they were pretty much done. Hopefully it's better than the shithouse rerecordings they've been doing.

Nothing quite sums up the awful and unescapable process of time more than hearing Eric Adams and co trying to redo Battle Hymns

3 songs plus the opening ‘march’. It’s not too bad, Joey provides vocals for the final song and it’s a bit cringeworthy to be honest. The epic ballad (can’t recall the name) is pretty good.

intrigued/horrified about the idea of Joey doing vocals! Will have to check this out.

I love that the first two tracks are "March of the Heroes into Valhalla" and "Blood and Steel". I'm really surprised that they haven't used those names before

Just ordered this.
75c5329208341d28e73fd21a27e9eab8.jpg

63773551c8ed0c2ef37d931a928f7428.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back