Bigfooty General Metal Thread Mk.VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone undecided on Corrosion of Conformity should definitely go. Set list was majority Deliverance/Wiseblood stuff and they were really heavy. Pepper hung around at the merch stand after and chatted with people. Wish I bit the bullet and bought a ticket for the Melbourne show.

Reckon JB in Bourke has really pulled back on the new releases the past few months. You'd think if Utopia can operate in Sydney there is room for a metal store in Melbourne too - just need someone to punt a fair bit of cash I guess. I wouldn't do it but it'll be nice to be able to pick up new releases in a timely manner in an actual store.

Never a big fan of NPFTD either but has a couple good little songs like Tailgunner & Bring your Daughter..

Fear of the Dark is solid album for me, a few s**t tracks on there like The Apparition, Wasted Love & Weekend Warrior, the rest is solid IMO.

The two after with Blaze I never even properly listened to. Brave New World was great then I could never get my head around the newer stuff..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon JB in Bourke has really pulled back on the new releases the past few months. You'd think if Utopia can operate in Sydney there is room for a metal store in Melbourne too - just need someone to punt a fair bit of cash I guess. I wouldn't do it but it'll be nice to be able to pick up new releases in a timely manner in an actual store.

It looks like JB are slowly phasing out music altogether. Pretty sure they don't make enough money on it for it to be worth their while.

Physical media of both music and film I reckon is on the way out with streaming. Why spend $15-$30 for a single item when you can pay that a month and get whatever you want. Only physical albums I've bought in a while now have just been from my favourite bands or really underground stuff.

Agree. The business model is smart - streaming secures ongoing revenue. Month after month after month. Stop your subscription and what do you have? Virtually nothing. Whole collection gone.

Agree. The business model is smart - streaming secures ongoing revenue. Month after month after month. Stop your subscription and what do you have? Virtually nothing. Whole collection gone.

It's in video gaming too now. I've gone from buying heaps of games to now having subscriptions and I'm kind of stuck with them for that reason, if I stop the sub then I lose access to those games.

Subscription model is awesome though. I'm hoping to finally get my web design business off the ground this year so have been working things out, and so much of the profits come from ongoing payments for very little work.

Its a shame as im still old school and want the cd in my hand or the book on my shelf to be able to pick up.

So a few of u listen to some really heavy s**t and i havent listened to death metal for a good number of years and always check out band names that are dropped in here...
Usually its the vocals or ten million blast beats that put me off the death stuff
Im metal, but not full on death

So saw something pop up on the utube list that it obviously selects from your searches...Mgla.
Now that was someone i hadnt really checked out or couldn't remember checking out but im hooked on Darksides drum cam

Still dont really do the vocals or the mask stuff tbh but i could watch this bloke all day
Love the cymbal work and the change of hand snare stuff

Along with the Lokust instrumental vid this would have to be my most played

I gave up being sentimental about owning the discs when I had enough of buying shelves to put them on and collecting dust. Especially for stuff I'd buy and only listen to a few times. Luckily I haven't filled up my vinyl box yet. Since streaming is my first stop now I don't mind firing up the turn table if I want to go physical.

I’ve got a Cocktail Audio X45 CD ripper/music server & network streamer, so don’t need to grab physical cds to listen to them. Burn LPs in hi-res digital too, so don’t have to pull them out also. 5TB of storage.

Still, there’s something irreplaceable with hard copy - about opening the booklet, reading the liner notes, looking at the band pics etc. old habits die hard.

Last edited:
I think there's still a market for physical music, it's just much more niche than it used to be. Vinyl has seen a resurgence and doesn't look like going away anytime soon.
CDs will probably keep being produced, just on a much smaller scale. They're already becoming quite collectable in some instances.
I'll still buy a CD from a band i really like, especially if the packaging is cool and theres bonus stuff like a live show or DVD. Streaming definitely helps though in that I'm not unnecessarily buying stuff that'll just collect dust on the shelf after a couple of listens.

Just seen that a fav project of mine from GRE, Human Serpent, released an Aus bushfire relief EP on their bandcamp last month.

It’s a name your price, download with one new track and a piano version of an old release if you want to get around it. I suggest if you’re not familiar with them, check out their catalogue. Inhumane Minimalism and For I, The Misanthropist are both great raw bm records.

https://humanserpent.bandcamp.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back