Bigfooty General Metal Thread Mk.VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Was listening to Torn Arteries and not minding it but then I had a hankering for Heartwork. Some of the best riffs ever assembled.

Cue deathevocation explosion..... 3.....2.....1...

Seriously though, a true modern metal masterpiece, crushing all before it. Desert island album.

Ranted about the Heartwork tour (again) on another board this past week.

Just hilarious the disdain you have for this album. I mean, to this very day I still hate Pacey Witter for stealing Joey Potter from Dawson in Dawsons' Creek but this Heartwork-hatred is a whole new level.

Just hilarious the disdain you have for this album. I mean, to this very day I still hate Pacey Witter for stealing Joey Potter from Dawson in Dawsons' Creek but this Heartwork-hatred is a whole new level.

It’s time to revisit the context which is very important for new readers. Back in 1993 I was a high school student scraping for a dollar. Used to get a handful of new vinyls a year, but most buying was limited to second hand purchases (remember that store in the mall opposite Greensborough central? - used to score well there plus of course the usual suspects in town). Carcass were one of my favourite bands (huge fan of N and SOS). Actually my favourite five at the time was probably Carcass, Pungent Stench, Dismember, Slayer and King Diamond. The album was released in October and in November the band was in Australia to tour for it (work that out). Anyhow I went to the show and heard some of the new songs for the first time - weren’t familiar with them so it was hard to judge. What I did pass judgement on was the band’s refusal to play any material off the first two albums on the basis the new guitarist didn‘t know any tracks (yeah bet Hickey really would have struggled to have learnt three or four songs from SOS).

Anyhow, get to January 94 and I have $30 set aside to buy the cd from Au Go Go. Spent my time on the train home exploring the art and lyrics (wasn’t impressed - didn’t look like the death metal that I knew and definitely wasn’t like the train trip two years earlier with my N lp). Got home and put it in the cd player and bang - Carcass had sold out. Buried Dreams indeed (should have seen my face when No Love Lost came on). Legit could not stand it. You have to remember I was a kid who didn’t trust any bands with short haired members save for Judas Priest and Carcass (from a distance even Udo looked weird). That said I have broken bread with the album this century and thought I put it to bed when I told you all I bought the fdr vinyl. A lot of nice solos (title track opening solo is a favourite) and a decent heavy metal album. Most of this is tongue in cheek but it is a legit sell out album and marked the end of my interest in new material by Carcass (didn’t hear Swansong or Blackstar until years after respective albums were released - still think Swansong > Heartwork).

Pungent Stench were the next band to do this to me with CMB in 94 (worse than Heartwork) and Slayer with DIM in 98 (terrible album). I’d cover the Black album for you all next but I actually refused to buy it. Haha.

It’s time to revisit the context which is very important for new readers. Back in 1993 I was a high school student scraping for a dollar. Used to get a handful of new vinyls a year, but most buying was limited to second hand purchases (remember that store in the mall opposite Greensborough central? - used to score well there plus of course the usual suspects in town). Carcass were one of my favourite bands (huge fan of N and SOS). Actually my favourite five at the time was probably Carcass, Pungent Stench, Dismember, Slayer and King Diamond. The album was released in October and in November the band was in Australia to tour for it (work that out). Anyhow I went to the show and heard some of the new songs for the first time - weren’t familiar with them so it was hard to judge. What I did pass judgement on was the band’s refusal to play any material off the first two albums on the basis the new guitarist didn‘t know any tracks (yeah bet Hickey really would have struggled to have learnt three or four songs from SOS).

Anyhow, get to January 94 and I have $30 set aside to buy the cd from Au Go Go. Spent my time on the train home exploring the art and lyrics (wasn’t impressed - didn’t look like the death metal that I knew and definitely wasn’t like the train trip two years earlier with my N lp). Got home and put it in the cd player and bang - Carcass had sold out. Buried Dreams indeed (should have seen my face when No Love Lost came on). Legit could not stand it. You have to remember I was a kid who didn’t trust any bands with short haired members save for Judas Priest and Carcass (from a distance even Udo looked weird). That said I have broken bread with the album this century and thought I put it to bed when I told you all I bought the fdr vinyl. A lot of nice solos (title track opening solo is a favourite) and a decent heavy metal album. Most of this is tongue in cheek but it is a legit sell out album and marked the end of my interest in new material by Carcass (didn’t hear Swansong or Blackstar until years after respective albums were released - still think Swansong > Heartwork).

Pungent Stench were the next band to do this to me with CMB in 94 (worse than Heartwork) and Slayer with DIM in 98 (terrible album). I’d cover the Black album for you all next but I actually refused to buy it. Haha.

You lose me at the Swansong being better bit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love it. Dust this off in another 2 years when you need to contextualize it again.

******* Mike Hickey. Totally forgot this guy, didn't he play on Venom's Calm Before the Storm?

I can actually relate to this quite strongly...
I was a huge Necro.. fan and liked (not loved, SOS) back then, and remember excitedly buying Heartwork before hearing it and being mildly disappointed with the opener ("why is it so ******* slow?!").

Then I heard 'carnal forge'... all was forgiven, it it remains (after all of these years) my favourite carcass song ever. To be honest I've always leaned more towards their faster stuff (arbeit mach frei a close second), and it took me quite awhile (years) to warm to some of the slower stuff on heartwork.

I actually liked the toned down aspect of artwork/lyrics on heartwork from the get-go, never being a fan of the 'gore' stuff per se. I hated pungent stench, cannibal and all of that back then, and still not a big fan of 'shock for the sake of it stuff' - it always seemed as silly as the demons/wizards s**t they carry on with in power metal which I also hate haha. I got into metal more from the hardcore/punk side (and rock of course), so that make-believe type stuff never really appealed to me.

Funnily enough, I love SOS a lot more now, and even some of the mid/later cannibal stuff.

Didn't realise there was only a month between the heartwork release and the gig, but can definitely remember thinking that mike hickey was carrying on like a utensil at the show (phoenician club in sydney, long gone now and infamously known as the 'anna wood club' after a teenager took E there and died one night), and a few mates who went to the carcass instore signing (utopia records of course!) mentioned that hickey pulled the full rockstar treatment there too.

Loved the show otherwise (sound was a bit ropey, but was a great show, and got to see bill steer do his thing on guitar AND vox!), and could not quite believe I was getting to see carcass live in the flesh.

Anway, swansong was a massive disappointment after that, blackstar rising made me gag it was so terrible/disappointing which is why I was so pleasantly surprised with surgical steel. Will give torn arteries another go, but underwhelmed was my first impression - too much slow stuff....

Guess I'll just have to rely on archspire and anaal nathrakh to get my speed fix ha!

I can actually relate to this quite strongly...
I was a huge Necro.. fan and liked (not loved, SOS) back then, and remember excitedly buying Heartwork before hearing it and being mildly disappointed with the opener ("why is it so ******* slow?!").

Then I heard 'carnal forge'... all was forgiven, it it remains (after all of these years) my favourite carcass song ever. To be honest I've always leaned more towards their faster stuff (arbeit mach frei a close second), and it took me quite awhile (years) to warm to some of the slower stuff on heartwork.

I actually liked the toned down aspect of artwork/lyrics on heartwork from the get-go, never being a fan of the 'gore' stuff per se. I hated pungent stench, cannibal and all of that back then, and still not a big fan of 'shock for the sake of it stuff' - it always seemed as silly as the demons/wizards sh*t they carry on with in power metal which I also hate haha. I got into metal more from the hardcore/punk side (and rock of course), so that make-believe type stuff never really appealed to me.

Funnily enough, I love SOS a lot more now, and even some of the mid/later cannibal stuff.

Didn't realise there was only a month between the heartwork release and the gig, but can definitely remember thinking that mike hickey was carrying on like a utensil at the show (phoenician club in sydney, long gone now and infamously known as the 'anna wood club' after a teenager took E there and died one night), and a few mates who went to the carcass instore signing (utopia records of course!) mentioned that hickey pulled the full rockstar treatment there too.

Loved the show otherwise (sound was a bit ropey, but was a great show, and got to see bill steer do his thing on guitar AND vox!), and could not quite believe I was getting to see carcass live in the flesh.

Anway, swansong was a massive disappointment after that, blackstar rising made me gag it was so terrible/disappointing which is why I was so pleasantly surprised with surgical steel. Will give torn arteries another go, but underwhelmed was my first impression - too much slow stuff....

Guess I'll just have to rely on archspire and anaal nathrakh to get my speed fix ha!

They opened with CJQ here. Was awesome. Might play said album next.

Changing pace a little, I am super impressed with the new RAGE album. Outside of Secrets in a Weird World I cant say I have really enjoyed much of their 23 album catalogue (outside of the occasional song here and there) but this is actually really good. Definitely their best in 20 years. Worth checking out.

Changing pace a little, I am super impressed with the new RAGE album. Outside of Secrets in a Weird World I cant say I have really enjoyed much of their 23 album catalogue (outside of the occasional song here and there) but this is actually really good. Definitely their best in 20 years. Worth checking out.

Will check it out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back