Prediction Blokes in the gun in 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

This is absolute rubbish. I like Hayden and his commitment to the contest, I love his willingness to take the game on and defend doggedly, his attitude to come back from a serious Achilles injury speaks volumes to his character as a young man and a footballer, and he has terrific potential, but the above statement is just ... patently wrong

Ats has played 214 games for the club and barring injuries preventing him from doing so will probably approach near 300. Hayden is as yet an unproven, potential-filled unknown quantity who may not get half that

The truth is that he was lucky to stay on the list..........and now he's better than a 200 game player?

He must have had one amazing off season.

Last edited:
If Atley is still best 22 we aren't winning a Premiership.

So sure, his fan club might be right he is best 22, it just means we have remained a s**t team.

So sure, his fan club might be right he is best 22, it just means we have remained a sh*t team.

We just delisted a dozen blokes and have half a forward line. I'm pretty sure it's safe to say we aren't quite premiership material at the minute.

We just delisted a dozen blokes and have half a forward line. I'm pretty sure it's safe to say we aren't quite premiership material at the minute.

Atley would have been near first delisted iin that group if not for his contract.

Is Tyson (and Campbell) a better player than Macmillan and Pittard?

Wouldn't have thought so but we kept contracted players not to waste (more) money.

Atley would have been near first delisted iin that group if not for his contract.

Is Tyson a better player than Macmillan and Pittard?

Wouldn't have thought so but we kept contracted players not to waste (more) money.
Would Atley have gone before Daw, Jmac, Pittard, Ahern, Wood, Hosie, Williams, Durdin, or Murphy? All of whom were actually dropped during the year, unlike Atley.

Tyson might well be a better player than the both of them if fit and in his proffered position actually. Fingers crossed for him that his body and form gives us a chance of finding that out this year.

Is Tyson (and Campbell) a better player than Macmillan and Pittard?

Plz mate atleys way better than any we delisted. No way he would have been delisted

Plz mate atleys way better than any we delisted. No way he would have been delisted

Bullshit.

I was never a JMac fan but I've have him over Atley easily. Pittard in form also much better than Atley.

Would Atley have gone before Daw, Jmac, Pittard, Ahern, Wood, Hosie, Williams, Durdin, or Murphy? All of whom were actually dropped during the year, unlike Atley.

Tyson might well be a better player than the both of them if fit and in his proffered position actually. Fingers crossed for him that his body and form gives us a chance of finding that out this year.

JMac, Williams, Pittard, Wood, Daw (prior injury) all better players than Atley.

Durdin a complete dud, Ahern a joke, the rest irrelevant.

JMac, Williams, Pittard, Wood all better players than Atley.

Durdin a complete dud, Ahern lazy, the rest irrelevant.

And yet all of Jmac, Williams, Pittard and Wood were dropped (and obviously delisted), and Atley wasn't. I don't see how the others are irrelevant given you stated "Atley would have been near first delisted " and these are the other delisted blokes we're talking about.

Bullshit.

I was never a JMac fan but I've have him over Atley easily. Pittard in form also much better than Atley.
It's a shame Pittard couldn't stay in form more often then. And I mean that seriously, because when he was firing on all cylinders he was brutally good at going third man up and taking high-risk high-reward kicks out of defence. Consistency meanwhile is one of Atley's better attributes.

Top 10 finish in the Syd Barker in 3 of the last 4 seasons, doesn’t say bottom of the best 22 there.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

10th twice in 4 years in a side that hasn't performed with a lot of injuries says average player to me.
is he best 22. Yes he is. Is he in the 22 if they want to try the younger players. Well that's the debate

(Log in to remove this ad.)

10th twice in 4 years in a side that hasn't performed with a lot of injuries says average player to me.
is he best 22. Yes he is. Is he in the 22 if they want to try the younger players. Well that's the debate

The point was is he at the bottom of best 22, which isn't the case. No-one here is saying that he is the 2nd coming of Wayne Carey.

Footy is simple, new players need to earn their spot in the best 22 and when they do they take a spot of an incumbent. I have zero issues with Atley losing his spot in the best 22 when a new player has proven he is the better option in the 22.

What we have though, is many posters making an early call because they are biased against Atley (aka their whipping boy). Fine to have an opinion but it's just plain wrong. The article posted on AFL.com.au pretty much states exactly that also (someone has already posted in the Commentary and Media thread).

Recall Dodoro likened the young Atley to a Chris Judd type.......maybe we as supporters set our expectations too high and continue to want something we cant have.....the club obviously values his approach and contribution.......whether he continues or not IMO comes down to opportunity cost which applies to every player. Looking forward to seeing how this will all play out.

The point was is he at the bottom of best 22, which isn't the case. No-one here is saying that he is the 2nd coming of Wayne Carey.

Footy is simple, new players need to earn their spot in the best 22 and when they do they take a spot of an incumbent. I have zero issues with Atley losing his spot in the best 22 when a new player has proven he is the better option in the 22.

What we have though, is many posters making an early call because they are biased against Atley (aka their whipping boy). Fine to have an opinion but it's just plain wrong. The article posted on AFL.com.au pretty much states exactly that also (someone has already posted in the Commentary and Media thread).

Yeah I don't think many people don't currently have him best 22.and I agree with the approach of the incumbent staying until dethroned too.
But from the aggressive approach of the club regarding the de-listings, new coach and talk of a rebuild etc I think the club will play (not based on merit )some of the younger players ahead of some of the senior players and you'd think that Atley, if he doesn't produce more, may be one of those in line

just a fact of life in a football club who has had some lean years

So sure, his fan club might be right he is best 22, it just means we have remained a sh*t team.
iam not sure of that, i have seen plenty of players worse than atley in premiership sides however his playing total is a double edged sword, as the people genuinely competing for positions increases atley isnt getting any younger. every team has a couple of middle men like atley , our problem recently is we nearly had a team full of them. having said that i would imagine his output will decline going forward, i think we have seen the best of his career. Mullet was a similar player but was a bees dick behind in talent which cost him longivity.

Jesus.

Ats ain't no star but he is that far ahead of Hayden as an AFL level footballer right now it ain't funny.

Ronnie has the talent and physicality to be a good AFL player but isn't AFL level yet. For small/medium defenders he is probably behind all of LMac, Young, Atley and Perez, with Perez's talent level quite a bit higher than Ronnie's. I'd have Ronnie on par with Bonar at this stage.

On the OP, Hall, Campbell, Josh Walker and Tyson are clearly in need of a good season given their individual relative factors of being out of contract, underutilised and late career. I can see Hall and Walker getting more opportunity to play in 2021, and thus more likely to get another year if things go well for them. Tyson and Campbell to be off the list come the end of the season.

Of the mid career guys its really only Garner who I see not getting another contract, and only if his body doesn't hold up. There may be a plethora of marking and tackling half forwards at the club now, but Garns is unique in his physicality and is only matched by Taylor in his ability to mark the pill.

Menadue as a rookie would want a good run at it.

Of the young guys I see Bonar, Hayden, McGuinness and Will Walker as being the ones at risk of getting the flick. They all need a good run at it, with Bonar and McGuinness already behind the 8-ball due to injury.

Hoping Mahoney makes the most of his opportunities because he has that look about him, like a 200 game + player- He looks a footballer, a smart one at that. With Pheonix Spicer, Lazzarro and Kane Turner up there he will need to play out of his skin to match their speed and pressure inside forward 50. Herd he came back in good nick ( not 'Golden Rig' levels) so fingers crossed for the lad.

Yeah I don't think many people don't currently have him best 22.and I agree with the approach of the incumbent staying until dethroned too.
But from the aggressive approach of the club regarding the de-listings, new coach and talk of a rebuild etc I think the club will play (not based on merit )some of the younger players ahead of some of the senior players and you'd think that Atley, if he doesn't produce more, may be one of those in line

Don’t think we’ve ever heard the club mention rebuild, more things like rebalancing the list going from one of the oldest to one of the youngest.

In essence, this “rebuild” is the balance of the team being built around youth which has been largely done sans a few contracted types who survived due to their contracts.

That youth needs to step up and earn their spot now but they all don’t need to be in the best 22 from round 1.

Plenty of under 22s will be in the team
Round 1, would be surprised if that includes any of this year’s picks or last year’s sans Mahony.

Turner's another one IMO

Noble talking about the flexibility of key players....Kyron very much in the mix....the ignorance of our own supporters on BF is laughable at times....

"With 75 rotations where do your midfielders go? Do they go forward, do they go half-back? Luke McDonald has played some inside midfield tagging roles, so what does that look like?" Noble said.

"Kyron Hayden came as a midfielder who has been playing back so does he now go back into a midfield rotation? What do we do with Ben Cunnington? Probably more forward. Jaidyn Stephenson has got great flexibility. Cam Zurhaar I'd like to get into the midfield a couple of times a quarter.

Noble talking about the flexibility of key players....Kyron very much in the mix....the ignorance of our own supporters on BF is laughable at times....

"With 75 rotations where do your midfielders go? Do they go forward, do they go half-back? Luke McDonald has played some inside midfield tagging roles, so what does that look like?" Noble said.

"Kyron Hayden came as a midfielder who has been playing back so does he now go back into a midfield rotation? What do we do with Ben Cunnington? Probably more forward. Jaidyn Stephenson has got great flexibility. Cam Zurhaar I'd like to get into the midfield a couple of times a quarter.

Confirmation bias 101.

Should readers also deduce that Jy Simpkin won't play in the midfield?

Don’t think we’ve ever heard the club mention rebuild, more things like rebalancing the list going from one of the oldest to one of the youngest.

In essence, this “rebuild” is the balance of the team being built around youth which has been largely done sans a few contracted types who survived due to their contracts.

That youth needs to step up and earn their spot now but they all don’t need to be in the best 22 from round 1.

Plenty of under 22s will be in the team
Round 1, would be surprised if that includes any of this year’s picks or last year’s sans Mahony.

yep agree with all that especially at the start of the season. But if we're bottom 4 at the half way mark then things may be very different for the rest of the year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back