Injury Blue Healers Discussion - 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Latest Injury Update 14th May …

😡

Player

Injury

Update

Matt CarrollGroinRemains on a modified program for at least another month due to groin soreness.(Update: 30 April)
Adam CerraHamstringExperienced a hamstring strain in win over Melbourne.
Availability: to be reassessed in Round 13. (Update: 14 May)
Matthew CottrellFootUnderwent scans which revealed navicular stress reaction. Club will work through rehabilitation plan in coming weeks.
Availability: to be reassessed following the Club's Round 14 bye. (Update: 14 May)
David CuninghamWristExperienced a calf strain during VFL on Friday.
Availability: to be assessed in Round 13. (Update: 14 May)
Sam DochertyKneeSuffered a ruptured ACL and torn meniscus in his right knee. (Update: 9 March)
Sam DurdinConcussionHas entered concussion protocols after VFL game on Friday.
Unavailable for selection this week. (Update: 14 May)
Lachie FogartyWristAvailability: 1-2 weeks. (Update: 14 May)
Jesse MotlopHamstringAvailability: one week. (Update: 14 May)
Hudson O'KeeffeHamstringExperienced a high-grade hamstring strain at training on Sunday.
Availability: 8-12 weeks. (Update: 14 May)
Marc PittonetFingerUnderwent a minor procedure on a finger injury sustained during win over Melbourne.
Availability: test. (Update: 14 May)
Adam SaadHamstringAvailability: one week. (Update: 14 May)
Jack SilvagniKneeHas begun initial stages of rehab following surgery. (Update: 21 February)
Zac WilliamsGluteAvailability: test. (Update: 14 May)

No worries, club has just released confirmation sam is all good

IMG-5266.jpg

POTY

Won’t be beat

Is season over for Walsh, if he does require surgery ?

It depends on the surgery but most likely. He could probably make a run for the last month or so of the season if we are in contention but you'd think we'd be even more cautious of pushing him after a 2nd surgery.

Such bad luck. Completely ridiculous that a 22 year old professional athlete has such back issues. I can't even remember the last afl player his age that has had such significant back problems.

Give him all the time he needs to get on top of this now. Anyone who has done a back injury would know flare ups and pain can come and go with little warning. I think this is something Sam will need to manage from here on in. Very tough to heal completely.

Yes it would be nice for him to return vs Norf at Etihad. It would also be nice for him to play great football for the next 10-12 years.

Was thinking the other day that if Walsh needs another surgery I would just about write him off. Not in terms of getting back playing but in terms of expecting him to become the player we thought he could be.

Then I remembered Charlie. You would never have imagined he could come back like he has.

All speculation now anyway. Will see what the club says in a few weeks.

Was thinking the other day that if Walsh needs another surgery I would just about write him off. Not in terms of getting back playing but in terms of expecting him to become the player we thought he could be.

Then I remembered Charlie. You would never have imagined he could come back like he has.

Yeah I remember the doom and gloom around Charlie. When you are dealing with young players you should always have a long term view. If surgery and a year off is Walsh’s best chance at having a long career then so be it.

If he were towards the end perhaps you’d jab him up and tell him to take it week by week.

Club really is in a no win situation. It's not a linear injury.

They said they'd reassess at the bye, reporters still ask anyone we put in front of a camera.

No wonder we rely on the media to call bullshit on a football club…or anything in life.

Necessary evil that people from all walks of life in privileged positions wish wasn’t there.

It’s the only constant in a successful democratic society, they really are the only ones that come close to keeping people honest.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Put him on ice. Only worry is we’d have 3 picks in mid season draft and no standout candidates.
No one has really had a chance to stand out at this point either. I think the issue is potentially already carrying 3 potential mid season picks for senior names this early as chances are that could end up being 4 or more with our luck.

It depends on the surgery but most likely. He could probably make a run for the last month or so of the season if we are in contention but you'd think we'd be even more cautious of pushing him after a 2nd surgery.

Such bad luck. Completely ridiculous that a 22 year old professional athlete has such back issues. I can't even remember the last afl player his age that has had such significant back problems.
Could be the way he trains and plays? Hes such a competitor, and has an incredible engine, maybe he just pushes himself too far sometimes. Hewett and Fog have both had back issues that have required surgery around the same time as Walsh, and they are now as fit as they’ve ever been. Whereas Walsh keeps having issues

Unfortunately the difference is that spinal issues are a lot more serious, with more complications and need to be managed much more carefully.

Well if the back injury is causing him issues now, might as well wrap him up. I doubt it will get better if its a week by week basis.

Like what type of back injury is? For the first few years he was so durable, like how did it even happen. I don't recall any games that would of cause that? Unless I missed something obvious.

That disappointing for Sammy if its looking like no improvement, Remember back in the day back injuries to Ang Christou & Garry Lyon severely hampered there careers . I really hope gets back & if its the long-term approach he's so young still with potential to be best player in the comp & Captain of the club. He only knows one way to play & that's gut running all day ala Robert Harvey with afew more attributes so play the long game & fingers crossed. If he misses so football there a great opportunity for guys like Ollie & Elijah Hollands , Carroll & Cunners to play more of the active running midfielder to complement our blues. Go baggers

Would be terrible for Sam if he needed another back surgery while so young - I can see why the club are taking as much time as possible to see if we can avoid surgery.

As much as losing SOS, Doc and now possibly Walsh for the season severely hurts our chances, the long term view is most important.

Would be terrible for Sam if he needed another back surgery while so young - I can see why the club are taking as much time as possible to see if we can avoid surgery.

As much as losing SOS, Doc and now possibly Walsh for the season severely hurts our chances, the long term view is most important.

I think for us to be a top 4 chance without Sam and Doc, one of E.Hollands and Carroll are going to have to step up massively in that 4th midfield spot. Suddenly they become very important players.

I think for us to be a top 4 chance without Sam and Doc, one of E.Hollands and Carroll are going to have to step up massively in that 4th midfield spot. Suddenly they become very important players.
And we may have to get more creative with Williams, Saad, Boyd and Cinc perhaps as well. All have pace, good skills and could rotate potentially midfield here and there if required.

Sadly with Walsh, the current silence and mystery around it all is not promising for the coming season which is a darn shame. The team has taken a lot of blows in the last couple of seasons and although yes it builds character and strength, there can also be an eventual tipping point where it drains. Coaching team has a lot of work on their shoulders to keep their heads up and focused, will also help if some of our kids or fringe players can really take that next level and help fill the void.

If what I am told is true we are just being incredibly cautious. Hasn't had an issue all pre season but pulled up sore after some tough practice matches.

It's not debilitating, just sore and has taken longer to improve than hoped. It is improving

He is running, doing exercises etc but just NO contact.I am told he simply won't play until 100%. That may be next round or a month but he won't play until they are sure he is fully recovered. We are also looking to other experts like we did with Doc's knee. Working on core strength and different muscles to strengthen area

As much as I want him to see back I am happy to wait a few more weeks so he is fine for rest of the year. It's a long year and we should beat North, Freo etc without him

Remove this Banner Ad

Back