Injury Blue Healers Discussion - 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Latest Injury Update 23rd April …

Four Blues facing tests​

Player

Injury

Update

Dom AkueiConcussionProgressing through concussion protocols.
Availability: test. (Update: 23 April)
Matt CarrollGroinContinuing on his modified program.
Return to play will be further assessed in Round 7. (Update: 26 March)
Adam CerraHamstringAvailability: one week. (Update: 23 April)
David CuninghamCalfAiming to be test to play next week. (Update: 23 April)
Sam DochertyKneeSuffered a ruptured ACL and torn meniscus in his right knee. (Update: 9 March)
Lachie FogartyWristCommenced running program.
Return to play to be assessed in Round 11. (Update: 16 April)
Caleb MarchbankConcussionProgressing through recovery.
Return to play to be assessed in Round 9. (Update: 16 April)
Jack MartinHamstringLow-grade hamstring last week. Will enter a conditioning block.
Availability: 5-6 weeks. (Update: 3 April)
Mitch McGovernHamstringAvailability: 1-2 weeks. (Update: 23 April)
Jesse MotlopHamstringSuffered a further hamstring injury in recent days.
Availability: 4-5 weeks. (Update: 16 April)
Adam SaadHamstringMedium-grade hamstring strain.
Availability: six weeks. (Update: 16 April)
Jack SilvagniKneeHas begun initial stages of rehab following surgery. (Update: 21 February)
Zac WilliamsAchilles sorenessReceived a knock to Achilles on Saturday and was subbed out of the game.
Jacob WeiteringCorkAvailability: test. (Update: 23 April)
Billy WilsonConcussionProgressing through concussion protocols.

Quite the opposite. As a physio just told me. He's actually got relatively low mileage on his body compared to other 30+ players. Get the knee better and he'll be back for sure.
Not sure you can discount the impact of two bouts of cancer and the subsequent chemo... takes its own kind of physical toll.

Doc you are a true champion who has proved your tenacity more times than most players could fathom they could be tested. My heart breaks for you having to go through another big challenge. I know you can conquer it and whether you decide to preserve your body for the long term and pursue a different career path or come back to fight another day next year, you have our total respect and awe for your courage, talent and leadership. 💙

Really sad for him. Even if he comes back he will be a shell of himself with all the injuries and age. I want us to get him into coaching whenever he decides to hang up the boots

I’m going to ask what is probably the most ignorant question in the world. Last year, I discovered my ACL was ruptured, probably in a soccer game in 2005. The knee has never caused me any real trouble and has always been stable. My understanding is that increasingly, the decision taken with amateur sportsmen and lay people is not to operate when the ACL has been ruptured.

Off the top of the bat, I recognise Doc is not an amateur sportsman. I realise he is playing in a highly competitive league. I know he has had ACL operations before. But the knee was stable enough for him to play on after he injured it the other night. He appeared to be walking pretty well at the final siren.

So here is the question: does he really need to operate?

I’m going to ask what is probably the most ignorant question in the world. Last year, I discovered my ACL was ruptured, probably in a soccer game in 2005. The knee has never caused me any real trouble and has always been stable. My understanding is that increasingly, the decision taken with amateur sportsmen and lay people is not to operate when the ACL has been ruptured.

Off the top of the bat, I recognise Doc is not an amateur sportsman. I realise he is playing in a highly competitive league. I know he has had ACL operations before. But the knee was stable enough for him to play on after he injured it the other night. He appeared to be walking pretty well at the final siren.

If nothing is done, the ACL injury can turn into chronic ACL deficiency. The knee may become more and more unstable and may give out more often. The abnormal sliding within the knee also can hurt cartilage. It can trap and damage the menisci in the knee and can also lead to early osteoarthritis.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The club and the footy world will be behind him. The love and support will be there for a classy warrior. I truly hope he plays on it it will be a decision that falls with him as the club will undoubtedly back him. The game is cruel but I truly home he can manage to get himself to 200 games.

Just when we are jamming our Premiership window open........Devastated for Doc.
Nobody deserves finals success more than our humble champ.
Life can be so cruel.

Of course there will be , " lets do it for Doc" but not sure this is what he would want.

GOOD LUCK in your recovery and whatever you and your family decide Doc.

Last edited:

I have ruptured my ACL twice. After the second I did not have it repaired as I could not afford the time off work as I had just started a business that required physicality.

That was 30 years ago. In that time since it has at least four times either dislocated or hyper extended during relatively light use.
This causes considerable pain, much swelling and discomfort for a few weeks. It is otherwise not too bad for day-to-day life, walking ETC. It has developed arthritis also.

NO WAY can I run and twist.

So IMO not possible to play AFL football with a ruptured ACL.

Don’t agree. Williams is way more deadly by foot than Doc with all due respect. Boyd is also lifting his game.

Doc is a loss but he’s a player we can cover
I also don’t get how someone can have that opinion when we played better once Doc went off. Hes a fantastic playe, but luckily, plays a position we have depth and cover in

Don’t agree. Williams is way more deadly by foot than Doc with all due respect. Boyd is also lifting his game.

Doc is a loss but he’s a player we can cover

I also don’t get how someone can have that opinion when we played better once Doc went off. Hes a fantastic playe, but luckily, plays a position we have depth and cover in

You are kidding yourselves.

Can't judge Doc's worth based on half a game of topsy turvy football.

20 things changed from 1st half to 2nd.

Too narrow a view to attribute that to Doc going off.

Can't judge Doc's worth based on half a game of topsy turvy football.

20 things changed from 1st half to 2nd.

Too narrow a view to attribute that to Doc going off.
Not saying it’s because of Doc going off that we played better. I’m saying we’ve shown that he isn’t an irreplaceable piece of the team

We are very fortunate to have alot of depth across half back and midfield now.

We can cover Docs injury alot more than when he went down with his first ACL.

First time he was AA half back and arguably our best player. We didn't have much else across half back.

We now have Saad, Newman, Williams and Boyd looking nice across there.

Plenty of options for Mid and HFF.

We are most certainly a better team with Doc in it, but we do have depth in the positions he can play.

He's one tough SOB. Been through so much and keeps bouncing back.

ACLs. Cancer.

Last year in the finals when he dislocated that shoulder then came back out to be a massive part of that clutch win.

The man has the heart the size of Pharlap.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back