Injury Blue Healers Discussion - 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Latest Injury Update 23rd April …

Four Blues facing tests​

Player

Injury

Update

Dom AkueiConcussionProgressing through concussion protocols.
Availability: test. (Update: 23 April)
Matt CarrollGroinContinuing on his modified program.
Return to play will be further assessed in Round 7. (Update: 26 March)
Adam CerraHamstringAvailability: one week. (Update: 23 April)
David CuninghamCalfAiming to be test to play next week. (Update: 23 April)
Sam DochertyKneeSuffered a ruptured ACL and torn meniscus in his right knee. (Update: 9 March)
Lachie FogartyWristCommenced running program.
Return to play to be assessed in Round 11. (Update: 16 April)
Caleb MarchbankConcussionProgressing through recovery.
Return to play to be assessed in Round 9. (Update: 16 April)
Jack MartinHamstringLow-grade hamstring last week. Will enter a conditioning block.
Availability: 5-6 weeks. (Update: 3 April)
Mitch McGovernHamstringAvailability: 1-2 weeks. (Update: 23 April)
Jesse MotlopHamstringSuffered a further hamstring injury in recent days.
Availability: 4-5 weeks. (Update: 16 April)
Adam SaadHamstringMedium-grade hamstring strain.
Availability: six weeks. (Update: 16 April)
Jack SilvagniKneeHas begun initial stages of rehab following surgery. (Update: 21 February)
Zac WilliamsAchilles sorenessReceived a knock to Achilles on Saturday and was subbed out of the game.
Jacob WeiteringCorkAvailability: test. (Update: 23 April)
Billy WilsonConcussionProgressing through concussion protocols.

Read between the lines. Was it, “No. He doesn’t need surgery” or “No! He doesn’t need surgery.”
It was in a press conference, I don't have the timestamp and am not particularly interested to sit through it again, but suffice to say it filled me with the confidence that he didn't need surgery, to the point where I don't think they ever actually considered surgery beyond perhaps seeking consultation from a Neurosurgeon - which doesn't actually mean surgery. Neurosurgery isn't solely surgery, despite what the name might suggest.

It was in a press conference, I don't have the timestamp and am not particularly interested to sit through it again, but suffice to say it filled me with the confidence that he didn't need surgery, to the point where I don't think they ever actually considered surgery beyond perhaps seeking consultation from a Neurosurgeon - which doesn't actually mean surgery. Neurosurgery isn't solely surgery, despite what the name might suggest.

Thanks mate. :)

Early prognosis​

The Blues expect Marchbank to return after their round two bye, while Weitering is also a chance to feature. Martin and Motlop will likely undergo fitness tests to play at some level, but a timeline for Walsh remains up in the air. - Riley Beveridge

Last edited by a moderator:
Walsh’s people sought outside club opinion on his injury. The second opinion did not suggest surgery as the clubs opinion was suggesting. Another external doc getting involved like Martin last year does not look good for our clubs people. Walsh’s back is now heaps better lucky they didn’t listen.
Yeah I've been angling at the performance of our docs for a while, so happy to see some change on that front.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All 3 of Cripps, Hewett and Kennedy in the midfield is unbalanced.
I think Kennedy could be sub, as the impact centre square player, with some versatility. He's not a proper forward though.
I remember him as sub last year where he came on and had an immediate impact. I like it. Not sure he would.

Sent from my SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Walsh’s people sought outside club opinion on his injury. The second opinion did not suggest surgery as the clubs opinion was suggesting. Another external doc getting involved like Martin last year does not look good for our clubs people. Walsh’s back is now heaps better lucky they didn’t listen.

Sounds like your informant is clutching at straws with this scenario.
Walsh’s people are no doubt one and the same as the clubs people.

Not 1 doctor would be encouraging secondary follow up surgery, especially being so close to the flare up which happened within the last 2 months.

People seem to forget that the club has had to deal with both Hewett and Fogarty also having surgery on their backs.

Both these players had slow recovery and some flare ups during their slow progress, in fact with Fogarty, he himself said it has taken over 18 months to finally feel fully recovered and free from any residual effects.

There is no way the club is rushing down the additional surgery option. Not without exhausting all the alternatives and given time for it to settle.

Voss could not have been more dismissive and emphatic in replying with a firm no in the presser when asked if surgery was ever on the agenda for Walsh’s recovery.

Check the presser out if you are in any doubt.

The club has been very clear and consistent on the messaging with regards to Walsh’s condition and his long term health being of paramount focus.

I think they should be congratulated on speaking honestly without having to back track if his progress slows down.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah I'm a bit similar to others with my lack of concern. End of the day there's only so much money and resources AFL clubs have access to and that doesn't allow them to have the global leaders in every field on standby. Plenty of other clubs have players head overseas or ask for expert opinions from those more qualified and knowledgeable than the staff we have on hand in Melbourne.

Remember Darcy Moore heading off to Germany a few times to try and fix his Hammies in 2018, Harley Bennell was involved with some world leading Ballet coach for his calfs, Gibcus this off season went somewhere overseas that I forget too. Boak takes a group of Port players over to America each year to work with some high performance staff there.

I can't remember if its Russell or Burgess but I remember in interviews them mentioning that they have NBA players and Soccer players from Europe that call them for help and training programs etc, it's common practice.

That being said I'm always going to worry about Walshy as we know back injuries can be long lasting and debilitating, so realistically it's just something we'll always have in the back of our minds as fans.

Is Sam Walsh dealing with a prolapsed disc? I hope he gets back soon, but it’s concerning that it’s flared up again at such a young age.

All of a sudden our injury list is not looking so bad. Matt Carroll, Silvagni and Docherty could be the only ones on that list in a couple of weeks. Hollands (susp), Martin, Weitering, Walsh, Marchbank and Motlop all sound very close to returning to playing. It's also a lot of talent to inject into a team that is already winning. Some players with decent form will have to come out of that side which is tough but this is what premiership lists look like. Something we haven't seen since 1995.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back