Bluemour Discussion Thread IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I notice that you ignored St Kilda. No "gun" KPF there unless you count Nick who's stuck in a wing these days.

Pretty laughable to say that Melbourne is in the eight because of Hogan when he's been gone for most of the year.

And if you're going to call a has been like Hawkins a gun then pretty much every team has a top class KPF. I'd take Curnow over Hawkins any day of the week and twice on Tusdays.

Oh and North have Brown and Waite, both quality KPFs. Brisbane has Hipwood whos just a freak. Most teams have a "gun KPF".

I think your argument is very weak.

It's also unsurprising that teams contending have quality KPFs in their prime. They aren't at the rebuilding stage after all. It also unsurprising that they have quality midfielders in their prime, and defenders in their prime, small forwards in their prime... there's a reason they are in the eight and competing.

It really isn't our most pressing need. The midfield is our most pressing need, followed by crummers and goal kicking HFFs. We've recruited 5 potential KPFs in the last two years. People are saying we'll have another next year. If that doesn't fix the issue within the next few years then we might as well give up on 17 because without quality mids it isn't going to happen.
A key forward is a very handy commodity because they keep backlines under pressure and their contests provide smaller goal sneaks with more chances to kick goals..........mids get the ball down to the forward line but as we at Carlton have seen for too long now it can come flying back out of our forward line when we do not have a "target" down there.

Yeah and we're going to kick it to Brander next year aren't we?

We don't need a tall gun kpf.

Charlie is marking everything in sight or at the very least creating contests. Jack has become a very good target as well. With Cas gone, Harry will be given his chance. With the surplus of quality kpd's we have, we can send Weitering forward as well.

We have options and to be honest they're all better than Casboult anyway.
As a kpf that takes pack marks they certainly are not better than Levi, and that is why other teams are looking at him........if SOS can trade in the mids we need then I also say our 1st rounder (if we still have it) should be used on Brander or Sutherland........(if he chooses footy over cricket)

Yeah and we're going to kick it to Brander next year aren't we?

We don't need a tall gun kpf.

Charlie is marking everything in sight or at the very least creating contests. Jack has become a very good target as well. With Cas gone, Harry will be given his chance. With the surplus of quality kpd's we have, we can send Weitering forward as well.

We have options and to be honest they're all better than Casboult anyway.

We have young forward options & hopefully they continue to develop, but I don't understand the negativity towards Casboult.

As a primary target he's serviceable, but as a second string forward I think he will be invaluable in the Earl Spalding mode.

Just need one of the developing forwards to become the primary target in the next couple of years.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

We have young forward options & hopefully they continue to develop, but I don't understand the negativity towards Casboult.

As a primary target he's serviceable, but as a second string forward I think he will be invaluable in the Earl Spalding mode.

Just need one of the developing forwards to become the primary target in the next couple of years.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Think he's been better than serviceable couldnt have asked for much more from Cas this year all things considered . Goals and contested marks aplenty . He has delivered a good season to date hopefully he finishes off well .

Drunk yesterday, sober today!!!

heard the punditry ALL DAY with a few of them raising the SOS connection etc. add some Smurf input this afternoon and voilà a new feeling is born !!!!

It's an educated thought. I'm fearful of the Saints and what they are preparing to offer also.

Wonder if Kelly was watching last nights game???

Saints have $ and picks but surely Kelly will want to go to a club that puts in a better effort than that.

I'm more than happy to hand over pick 3 (and hefty change) for Kelly.

He's a 22 year old proven elite player.

Look at these stats. Look at them.

Inside, outside, runs both ways and tackles, lovely disposal, creative, high possession count. We could only dream to draft a player as good with pick 3.

We then trade Gibbs for an extra (late) 1st coming back in, plus some hefty change (a future second would be nice, to have up our sleeve for points for Ben SOS next year).

Its a no-brainer if he puts his hand up and nominates us.

I don't see Gibbs leaving now. This year was the year .... why leave a ship that is steaming ahead for a ship that is facing GWS in its prime.

he knows we will have the team to seriously challenge in 2-3 years .... I recon he has 5 left ..... simples

I don't see Gibbs leaving now. This year was the year .... why leave a ship that is steaming ahead for a ship that is facing GWS in its prime.

he knows we will have the team to seriously challenge in 2-3 years .... I recon he has 5 left ..... simples

I hearing the opposite yet feel the same as you.
Could easily go down a course of dejavu.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would you play for 300k a year for 2 years or 600k a year for 4?

He may have 5-7 years left, but he is out of contract at the end of 2019 and could/probably leave as a UFA, compensation would not be anywhere near what we he is worth now

Sorry but that's not how that works. No defensive pressure in your forwardline makes it very difficult to win flags.

One of GWS's problems is that it applies little defensive pressure in its forwardline. Ball goes in, ball goes out just as quickly.
GWS have quite a few more "me" ( as opposed to "we") oriented players too though I reckon. Think Toby Greene.

Firstly Fev and Plugger were freaks, but they also played in an era when defenders played one on one, not like the zones, flooding and +1/2 of today's game

It will almost be impossible for any forward to kick a 100 goals a session, for reasons I have mentioned above. Think you need to stop looking at the raw numbers and put things in today's context of how the game is played.

You will have the exception to the rule like Tex Walker, but most of the leading goal kickers from here on end will be 195cm+

Evident by the leading goal kickers this year and over the last 5 years

They'd dominate in this era too. Ablett Sr was 185cm. All three would be the best forwards in the game today no doubt about it.

Betts and Gray are pushing the Coleman leaderboard ffs.

You say 195cm+ Charlie Curnow is 194cm, that extra 1cm of height matters does it? Don't be ridiculous. J.Kennedy would be topping the goal kicking this year had he not got injured and he is also 194cm.

So no mate, I didn't just look at the numbers and actually have looked into how the game is played these days, rather than being brainwashed by the media and these recruiting "experts" who get a hard-on for every player that's 200cm tall.

Charlie has come along in leaps and bounds this season and looks to be another so called freak. Let's build our midfield so we can kick it to him properly.

I can't see us getting Shiel if we get Kelly. Kelly will be on about a $1mil and every single club in Melbourne will be after Shiel knowing GWS can't match a bid. He will be on at least $1mil plus. Also seeing the money getting thrown at Lever when Weitering and Curnow come out of contract that's what we will be up against.

It was more of a shot at people trying to say KPF arn't as important as mids because they didn't star in a big game. That's because they are comparing the games of two KPF's to about 8 midfielders of course 8 players are going to influence a game more then two players.

Let the club handle it. Sometimes, players play for more than money. How many of those Vic clubs will be in our position come 2020?

Regardless, we need to do whatever we can to get Kelly + Shiel or equivalent of those two otherwise we won't be winning any premierships.

Richmond is the obvious club who need a mature, ready to go 2nd forward who can chop out in the ruck.
They would be willing to pay overs as well since they believe they are contending and getting a player for that position is the 'missing piece' - all while giving up nothing in way of trading.

Unfortunately none of the other top teams really need a player like Cas...if Collingwood sack bucks i doubt they'd go for him anymore.
Richmond have been waiting for Griffiths for a few years now. Collingwood hmmm I'm not so sure Cas is their man but there are a few clubs who would slot him in nicely. Hawks and Dogs being two. Hawks rolled the dice with Vickery as they were desperate for a big man in the role Cas could fill. Dogs in recent times with Cloke and Boyd out indefinitely (Crameri struggling too) might benefit also??
At the end of the day Casboult now has some value and the real question is - Is he worth more to us on the trade table than on the field. I like the big fella and feel he has huge value while we have the game plan we have and while we need the back up for Kreuzer. Beyond that ??

They'd dominate in this era too. Ablett Sr was 185cm. All three would be the best forwards in the game today no doubt about it.

Betts and Gray are pushing the Coleman leaderboard ffs.

You say 195cm+ Charlie Curnow is 194cm, that extra 1cm of height matters does it? Don't be ridiculous. J.Kennedy would be topping the goal kicking this year had he not got injured and he is also 194cm.

So no mate, I didn't just look at the numbers and actually have looked into how the game is played these days, rather than being brainwashed by the media and these recruiting "experts" who get a hard-on for every player that's 200cm tall.

Charlie has come along in leaps and bounds this season and looks to be another so called freak. Let's build our midfield so we can kick it to him properly.
Pretty sure Kennedy is 198.

just for the sake of your exercise, lance franklin checks in at 199cm.
most posters would give their left nut for 199cm tom lynch, ditto hipwood 200cm+. charlie dixon is next rung down, but looks like he has overcome his paper ankles - 200cm. ben brown, joe daniher, 200cm. paul salmon was pretty handy.
but i wouldn't say i necessarily disagree, it really depends on agility. you can get 191cm plodders too.

Which pretty much was my point. People obsess over them being at least 200cm tall meaning they'll suddenly be gun forwards but it doesn't work that way.

Charlie is a gun. I'm confident that Ben will be too, I have yet to see a Silvagni turn out to be a shit footballer.

Lynch is 199cm tall and can't do anything because the midfield is not up to it at GC.
Ditto Hipwood. Though they make the most of their opportunities but they're team is still struggling to win games of football.

Lance Franklin is more of a freak than Fevola was. He was in good form from the start this season and the Swans still couldn't win a game to save themselves because the midfield wasn't firing.

Negativity because I think Charlie, Jack and Weitering are better footballers than him?

That last game against GC sealed the deal for me re Casboult. He makes shit decisions and can't kick under pressure. Not the first time and clearly won't be the last. Not something I'd want from a player in a finals team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back