Bluemour Discussion Thread IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really couldn't give a stuff about 1 cm. Was refuting your claims that 192 cm forwards are having more impact, than 195+ KPF. Of course they can be, but they are now the exception. This is not an opinion, it is fact. Just look are all the better than average KPF in the competition, they are all taller than 192 cm (Walker the only exception (Fact).

The population as a whole would be taller since Fevola was drafted 19 years ago.

That said, not too many players selected in the draft after Tim Membrey have made the grade. It's worth keeping an eye out on players later in the draft who don't tick all the boxes.

So now you bring up Ablett, arguable the greatest player to ever play the game to justify your opinion? Of course he would still be a force in the today's game, but as I said earlier, there will always be exceptions to the rule.

As for Betts & Gray, I am sure that they are small forwards, that again are vital for a forward line structure, that has never been disputed by me

So you are going to split hairs over a 1 CM, in regards to Charlie? And by the way, Kennedy is 196cm, http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/player-profile/josh-kennedy , coming from the club.

Let me make it very clear, I never get caught up what so called recruiting experts or what the media have to say. If that was the case, I would have simply agreed, with them and most of you here, on a guy like Brodie last year, despite all and sundry rating him as a number 1 pick or at the very least top 3.

Surely you realise that the evolution of player's heights are increasing in every position (Again, yes there will be exceptions to that rule). That WILL not change.

I really enjoy reading your posts, your knowledge of the game is strong, but in regards to this, my opinions differs.

Sure that SOS & Co will do the right thing for list :thumbsu:

Hi guys, I think one important aspect when looking at a player as to whether they are a true KPF or a medium/third tall is length (wingspan) Charlie is listed as 194 cm but players taller as he has a long reach. I'd say it gives him an extra inch minimum, plus he has sticky hands and once he fills out to add another 6-8 kg he will have a hulking frame and a huge tank to boot.. I think he can be our version of a young Nick Riewoldt and really start hitting the scoreboard from 2018 onwards.

Okay was happy to leave it at the last post, but if you want to keep going, I will entertain the debate.

I really couldn't give a stuff about 1 cm. Was refuting your claims that 192 cm forwards are having more impact, than 195+ KPF. Of course they can be, but they are now the exception. This is not an opinion, it is fact. Just look are all the better than average KPF in the competition, they are all taller than 192 cm (Walker the only exception (Fact).

Where did I specifically say 192cm forwards are having more impact? How about you go and read what was said first, then put your 2 cents in.

He asked if I'd prefer a 192cm forward or a 198-200cm gorilla. He didn't mention anything about the calibre of the player. That's why I listed 2 of the great forwards who were roughly 192cm to show that height isn't the be all end all. Talent is.

Only people brainwashed by the media and recruitment officers think that you need to have a 200cm forward. You don't.

Your argument was also flawed, by suggesting Kennedy was 194, then back tracking to say "When he was drafted". What happens to your argument if Charlie grows to 196 cm?

I already said Charlie will probably grow. Doesn't mean much, again 1-2cm means nothing. You're clutching at straws.

Again you state "200cm"(Let's just call it as taller than 192) guys are having less impact than the KPF's of 10 years ago. This still tells me you are living in the past. Base it on today, in today's game, 195+ KPF are having more impact that the KPF at 190-194. This is not an opinion, it is fact, as listed below from a previous post

Why are you doing that? Do you even get the whole point of this discussion right now? Where is this 192cm baseline coming from?

The guy I responded to specifically mentioned 198 - 200cm. You've got no idea what we're even talking about lol.

Why does it tell you I'm looking into the past? Clearly if key forwards aren't kicking as many goals as they used to then the game has evolved to the point where they aren't as crucial as they used to be. You need to get with the times. The premiership sides from the last decade do not have two 200cm gorillas in the forward line. You can't name one, that's a fact.

Top 15 goal kickers from this year. Only one in the top 15 is around 192, Walker. Versus 10 genuine KPF, the rest are small forwards. The trend of all players increasing in height will continue, with a small percentage of exceptions

Before last night's game

Lance Franklin Sydney 43
Joe Daniher Essendon 41
Jeremy Cameron GWS 41
Eddie Betts Adelaide 39
Ben Brown North Melbourne 38
Robbie Gray Port Adelaide 38
Taylor Walker Adelaide 37
Tom Hawkins Geelong 36
Jack Riewoldt Richmond 36
Tom Lynch Gold Coast 35
Joshua Kennedy West Coast 34
Orazio Fantasia Essendon 32
Jeff Garlett Melbourne 32
Charlie Dixon Port Adelaide 32
Jonathon Patton GWS 31

Hopefully these FACTS and not my opinion nor yours, are clear and we can both move on.

Now, if you want to go back to our original debate, what type of player the club needs more, midfielder or KPF, happy to do so.

You've wasted your time because you don't understand what we're talking about.

Era doesn't matter. Fev and Plugger would still be the best forwards in the game today if they were playing in their prime.
My point is retrospective comparisons are always subjective. I believe even they would not kick a 10 bagger every month in todays game. To kick one bag of 6 each month in todays game would be a huge effort.

Just a thought on the argument that Gibbs out and Kelly in means we get a player who will last much much longer. Unfortunately it doesn't always work that way.

If you look at the careers of their fathers you'll see that Ross Gibbs played footy for Glenelg (after almost 100 games for West Perth, man he was good for us) until he was 38, and most of that was high quality footy.

Phil Kelly was shelved and dusted by 28 after staring in the WAFL early (two Sandovers) he went to Norf and had a middling career of 62 games.

I cant understand the enthusiasm to trade gibbs either. Even if kelly comes to us , its hard to imagine us improving if we lose gibbs at the same time. I want to experience the improvement associated with kellys arrival. Thanks to sos we are only a few players away from a best 22 that is potentially top 4, and a player like kelly would ensure our surge up the ladder. I dont want to wait another 3-4 years if gibbs leaves. In 3-4 years murph, and kreuzer may be gone and we go backwards again.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My point is retrospective comparisons are always subjective. I believe even they would not kick a 10 bagger every month in todays game. To kick one bag of 6 each month in todays game would be a huge effort.

I agree, they wouldn't. But they'd still be just as good as or better than any forward going around today despite their height not being 198-200cm.

You've got no idea what we're even talking about.

No, it's just you're cherry picking facts to make your argument. You say Fev would be a dominant forward if playing today when there's every chance that Fev might not get recruited and, if presenting the same levels of discipline he did back then, he'd be cut inside two years if he was.

No, it's just you're cherry picking facts to make your argument. You say Fev would be a dominant forward if playing today when there's every chance that Fev might not get recruited and, if presenting the same levels of discipline he did back then, he'd be cut inside two years if he was.

It's got nothing to do with him being recruited or not. You've gone off on a tangent and put forward an argument that is totally irrelevant to the discussion at hand. For what it's worth, I agree, dick head personalities don't get very far these days but again it's got nothing to do with what we're talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back