Club Mgmt. Board of Directors as led by President Dave Barham

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
I remember people scoffing at the time but imagine we had swallowed our pride and taken the Cronulla Sharks path and the players admitted guilt despite not knowing that they had been injected with CJC-1295 and GHRP-6 and taken a back-dated ban instead of the prolonged fight? The coach was back within a year and they had gone from a spoon to flag within two years under Flanagan.

Anyway, probably not much point reopening old wounds I guess.
I still think what Hird did was the right thing in principle.

Sad thing is the people he was dealing with (AFL, Government, ASADA) were not interested in the truth, mostly corrupt and held the power.

Correct me if i'm wrong but didn't they have positive tests?

With the benefit of hindsight we may as well have admitted guilt for all the good fighting did us in the end but dat hindsight, she's always 20/20

From memory the players did not know what they had been injected with but I can't remember whether they gave positive samples or not to be honest but you are spot on that it is much easier to say in hindsight. I think it is interesting given the penalties and longterm impact of fighting.

But you expect our players to stick around and drive culture change when they see things they don’t like?

I would stick around and persist if I was on the board. If I felt like I was being listened to (even if not all the time) and that I could chip away at the issues to provide a positive influence. It doesn’t mean it’ll always work out but anyone can sit a board when things are easy.

If it’s consistently never being listened to when you’ve been providing guidance then after awhile you’d need to question the point of staying around. But that is only after a significant period of time of attempting to enact positive change.
I would leave a board that would sign off on Bomba as caretaker coach in 2014 immediately. That's exactly the kind of decision you don't associate with. You are responsible for governance. You don't knowingly put people who may have 'problems' in positions where they can further damage others or the organisation. They could have gone with several other options and they all would have been far better ones. That appointment decision was worse work than the saga by the board IMO.

The other problem that can come with long tenure is the skeletons in the closet. Roco mentioned Dodoro having dirt on people at the club (not sure if over certain deals or behaviour) - and the club needing to be better than that. There's been talk of less than professional behaviour at Essendon and it's not referring to low level positions.

If people are compromised by knowledge of past misdeeds it directly effects their ability to make changes and run the place. If that is the case then that is another reason to chose changes at the most senior levels. New people don't carry that baggage and can make decisions and call people to account and make changes freely.

Viewed through this lense a fresh start with leadership isn't so stupid. Brashers vid was a effectively a pitch/justification for him as president to the members. It was a good pitch but there's plenty of other baggage that he potentially brings that isn't necessarily obvious.

This is why I'm looking closely for him to look under the rug and examine all processes with an independent review - not just say he's pulling the same old people into line. Professionally he would have recommended reviews like this to other organisations for his whole career. One is an indication of unfettered, fearless leadership and the other is just a power transfer by the same mob that have delivered us the rubbish we are today.

Last edited:
From memory the players did not know what they had been injected with but I can't remember whether they gave positive samples or not to be honest but you are spot on that it is much easier to say in hindsight. I think it is interesting given the penalties and longterm impact of fighting.
Random samples were sent to an independent lab in Cologne, Germany. All came back negative. We were thoroughly stitched up by ASADA and the AFL because the horse had bolted, something wasn't quite right and they felt we had tarnished their competition. All that was really found were inconsistencies. ASADA even changed their own rules retrospectively so they could pin the club.

Random samples were sent to an independent lab in Cologne, Germany. All came back negative. We were thoroughly stitched up by ASADA and the AFL because the horse had bolted, something wasn't quite right and they felt we had tarnished their competition. All that was really found were inconsistencies. ASADA even changed their own rules retrospectively so they could pin the club.
I was referring to the rugby club and not us fwiw but I think we are better off letting it go!

I would leave a board that would sign off on Bomba as caretaker coach in 2014 immediately. That's exactly the kind of decision you don't associate with. You are responsible for governance. You don't knowingly put people who may have 'problems' in positions where they can further damage others or the organisation.
Was it actually a known thing that he may have had problems at that time? I was under the impression that all came to light later on. :think:

Was it actually a known thing that he may have had problems at that time? I was under the impression that all came to light later on. :think:

It's been a open secret since his playing days.

Its only based on what I've read around the traps. The impression has been that certain habits have been well known for many years.

Either way, given the board is charged with the senior coaching appointments and they would have to be 100% sure he was the right person (and not Harvey or another combo). This obviously means due diligence, interviews and asking plenty of questions. Day in day out at work colleagues would know what was going on.

If Bomba had cracked or anything else 'bad' had happened (doesn't take much imagination) the fallout would have been catastrophic for the club and the players - again. If that decision went as badly at it could have we may have actually lost the club for good. We certainly wouldn't talking about Brasher as the 2021 president.

So what due diligence was done then? Was it the same as with Worsfolds extension and Rutten's appointment? This stuff is boring as hell but if we want to be the best club then these processes need to be the best. And If these decisions don't reflect on senior people who were there making them at the time (and who are still there running the club now) then nothing is ever anyone's fault ever full stop.

I actually just read this morning on Blitz that 1400 people have signed a petition demanding Brasher do a review similar to what I have suggested on here which is good to see IMO. So there are a few others that agree. Knowing that I'll park the point here.

Last edited:
I actually just read this morning on Blitz that 1400 people have signed a petition demanding Brasher do a review similar to what I have suggested on here which is good to see IMO. So there are a few others that agree. Knowing that I'll park the point here.
This one?

As the AFL's equal most successful club (16 premierships) and a club over 120 years old, it is a extremely concerning to see the current lack of fight, passion and resolve at all levels at our once great club. The time has come to acknowledge 15 years of mediocrity, identify the clubs failings and subsequently make necessary changes. The review needs to start at the top with our Board, CEO, recruiting staff, coaches, players and all at EFC. The club has been far more concerned with trying to appease the AFL and making money than it has been trying to win premierships.

It is also time to bring in people (notably coaches) who will bleed for the club, will NOT accept defeat and will accept nothing less than a premiership. In 1981 Kevin Sheedy came to Essendon and changed the culture for 30 years. That culture is all but gone and it will take the likes of Tim Watson, Dean Solomon, James Hird, Matthew Lloyd, Dean Wallis, Damien Hardwick (if necessary) and others who have bled for this club to bring back the on-field and off-field respect of the competition. To see the shameful display in the second half of the season was the final straw.

We demand a full external review that will identify what (if any) changes need to be made, with those changes implemented as soon as possible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think so yes (i didn't read the details on Blitz).

Having read that now I'm not sure what they are on about in terms of the past players named - straight nuffy there IMO - but definitely agree with the top down review.
I was wondering whether you'd read it. Don't think I'll be signing that one.

I was wondering whether you'd read it. Don't think I'll be signing that one.
It's actually a really strange blend between a delusional pearler, a botched history post and a reasonable request. If 1400 people signed that we live in scary times. Be interesting if the club responds or if they are just happy to cut ties with anyone who would sign it.

Still, we could end up with "Damien Hardwick (if necessary)"...*en classic.

It's actually a really strange blend between a delusional pearler, a botched history post and a reasonable request. If 1400 people signed that we live in scary times. Be interesting if the club responds or if they are just happy to cut ties with anyone who would sign it.

Still, we could end up with "Damien Hardwick (if necessary)"...fu**en classic.
That petition is three weeks old, so I wouldn't be surprised if Brasher's speech thing has already addressed their main concerns in a broad sort of way.

That culture is all but gone and it will take the likes of Tim Watson, Dean Solomon, James Hird, Matthew Lloyd, Dean Wallis, Damien Hardwick (if necessary) and others who have bled for this club to bring back the on-field and off-field respect of the competition.
It's funny because I'd say 2 or 3 of those blokes listed are in some way responsible for the culture we have at the club today. The current players and coaching staff at the club need to make the changes themselves; you can't transfer a culture from another club or another era, it just doesn't work like that.

That petition is three weeks old, so I wouldn't be surprised if Brasher's speech thing has already addressed their main concerns in a broad sort of way.
Here is an update from yesterday that goes into more detail. Slightly less disturbing than the abstract - only slightly though - #8 is outstanding

PETITION UPDATE
18 points of letter and petition to Mr. Paul Brasher
XGWKVYAUBrJvrSL-128x128-noPad.jpg

Brett Crabtree
Australia
SEP 27, 2020 —

For the information of all who have signed the petition, below are the 18 main points from our letter issued to Mr. Brasher and the EFC Board.
1. The club constitution does not state that an objective is to win premierships and be the number one professional sporting organisation in Australia. This fact is not in the member’s best interests and should be amended to include this objective.
2. Membership decline of over 20% in 2020, the 2nd largest decline in the AFL this season.
3. The desire to continue to appease the AFL for our past wrongs (supplements saga).
4. Lack of on-field success.
5. Lack of a finals victory for over 15 years.
6. Player unrest.
7. The lack of public support for Conor McKenna during his COVID-19 public execution by the AFL and media.
8. Not allowing Adrian Dodoro to be part of the Player Hub. Adrian is likely family to many players, having known most since they were 17 years of age. To not include him in the hub was an error and we assume one of the reasons Conor McKenna has chosen to leave the club.
9. Players not committing to the club or making it public of their intention to consider greener pastures elsewhere.
10. Lack of acceptance of responsibility of under performance by officials, coaches, and players. To see our captain and other players laughing when losing by 10 goals is unacceptable.
11. Ongoing EFC acceptance of a concerted campaign by the AFL umpires/AFL to disadvantage our team via a lopsided free kick count.
12. Seemingly blasé attitude to losses of the club captain, Dyson Heppell.
13. Revolving door of the player leadership group.
14. The disengagement of members and supporters over the last decade.
15. Declining crowd numbers (excluding 2020) to EFC home games.
16. The club CEO Xavier Campbell appearing to be the face of the club. Why isn’t our President’s voice being heard? Jeff Kennett, David Koch, Peggy O’Neal, David Smorgan and Eddie McGuire among others are ever-present and standing up for their club and/or engaging with supporters.
17. Disengagement of supporter groups, essentially being ignored or dismissed by EFC.
18. Xavier Campbell “appearing” to place the AFL’s interests ahead of Essendon Football Club.

Last edited:
It's funny because I'd say 2 or 3 of those blokes listed are in some way responsible for the culture we have at the club today. The current players and coaching staff at the club need to make the changes themselves; you can't transfer a culture from another club or another era, it just doesn't work like that.

One thing and one thing only brings respect in sport - winning. It doesn’t matter who does it.

Here is an update from yesterday that goes into more detail. Slightly less disturbing than the abstract - only slightly though - #8 is outstanding

PETITION UPDATE
18 points of letter and petition to Mr. Paul Brasher
XGWKVYAUBrJvrSL-128x128-noPad.jpg

Brett Crabtree
Australia
SEP 27, 2020 —

For the information of all who have signed the petition, below are the 18 main points from our letter issued to Mr. Brasher and the EFC Board.
1. The club constitution does not state that an objective is to win premierships and be the number one professional sporting organisation in Australia. This fact is not in the member’s best interests and should be amended to include this objective.
2. Membership decline of over 20% in 2020, the 2nd largest decline in the AFL this season.
3. The desire to continue to appease the AFL for our past wrongs (supplements saga).
4. Lack of on-field success.
5. Lack of a finals victory for over 15 years.
6. Player unrest.
7. The lack of public support for Conor McKenna during his COVID-19 public execution by the AFL and media.
8. Not allowing Adrian Dodoro to be part of the Player Hub. Adrian is likely family to many players, having known most since they were 17 years of age. To not include him in the hub was an error and we assume one of the reasons Conor McKenna has chosen to leave the club.
9. Players not committing to the club or making it public of their intention to consider greener pastures elsewhere.
10. Lack of acceptance of responsibility of under performance by officials, coaches, and players. To see our captain and other players laughing when losing by 10 goals is unacceptable.
11. Ongoing EFC acceptance of a concerted campaign by the AFL umpires/AFL to disadvantage our team via a lopsided free kick count.
12. Seemingly blasé attitude to losses of the club captain, Dyson Heppell.
13. Revolving door of the player leadership group.
14. The disengagement of members and supporters over the last decade.
15. Declining crowd numbers (excluding 2020) to EFC home games.
16. The club CEO Xavier Campbell appearing to be the face of the club. Why isn’t our President’s voice being heard? Jeff Kennett, David Koch, Peggy O’Neal, David Smorgan and Eddie McGuire among others are ever-present and standing up for their club and/or engaging with supporters.
17. Disengagement of supporter groups, essentially being ignored or dismissed by EFC.
18. Xavier Campbell “appearing” to place the AFL’s interests ahead of Essendon Football Club.

I see your #8 and raise you #11.

I knew something was going on!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back