Review Box Hill v Frankston Sunday 1 May @Box Hill 2pm

Remove this Banner Ad

WLtpF7C.png

Rm1arum.png

Thanks Griimlock. Fantastic debut from Lachie. Hopefully he stays in the main team for the rest of the year. I have high hopes for Lachie.

Interesting breakdown of Willsmore's stats. Surprising number of handballs. In that team Dallas should never handball. It seems that he got more of his own footy, that must shatter some here.

Thanks Griimlock. Fantastic debut from Lachie. Hopefully he stays in the main team for the rest of the year. I have high hopes for Lachie.

Interesting breakdown of Willsmore's stats. Surprising number of handballs. In that team Dallas should never handball. It seems that he got more of his own footy, that must shatter some here.

Lachie- there is a lot to like.

Think about his development for sec to gain the scope and range for improvement- this kid spent most of 2014 playing seconds for Melbourne Grammar.

Haven't seen the stats, but here are my views:

Nice to see Peter Schwabb around and chatting to the assistant coaches and Mark Evans. Mixed effort as a coach, but always a Hawthorn great.

Willsmore - BOG for mine. Has had a ripping year and should come into contention for a senior debut soon. Has played as a quarter back, setting up play, sort of a mix of a suckling and Mitchell role. Yesterday was more midfield and equally as damaging. Can't play as an inside mid as someone asked, has more outside nous to his game. Not quick but fast enough. Would be a more damaging player if he drifted forward and used his size to out mark smaller players. Kicked a couple yesty, but could of had 4. Has come on really well.

Miles - was clean yesterday in a scrappy game. Seems comfortable at the level and not rushed. Creative and a good use of the ball. I've been critical of him in the past and said i haven't seen development in his game, but he is starting to prove me wrong.

Spangher - very happy to see him play. Don't think he had more than 15 touches, but got to a million contests and was a brick wall down back. Seemed to have built his fitness and managed most of the game. Should come into senior contention in 2 weeks.

Billy - had it quite a bit and tried to be creative. Wasn't dominant, and had quite a few errors. Wasn't the type of game for Billy to excel at, very sloppy and in tight which doesnt suit. I'm not sure what the point of dropping Billy was. If the Club wants more inside players, then thats just not Billys game. He won't be that player. His prowess is outside running which he's been ok at. Similar type game yesterday that he's been providing at senior level. Gets a fair bit of it, makes some errors. Didn't stamp himself on the game. Was a tad more physical than normal. Appears to work really hard and want to succeed.

Whitecross - solid game. Is the onfield leader. A couple of clangers as normal. Has been quite good for BHH all season and on the periphery for senior selection. Probably needs to up his disposals, reduce errors, improve kicking by foot.

Litherland - Thought he was quiet to be honest. Saw somewhere that he was amongst the best, but I barely noticed him in the first half, except when he got the ball in back 50, ran 15 then bombed it 60m down the line to the oppo.

Fitzpatrick - competed well in the ruck and was solid enough around the ground. Is a very good mark, a bit sloppy at ground level. Provides a solid contest, but is at least building fitness and stringing solid games together at BHH so he can come in and do a job at senior level if injuries come.

Heatherley - very quiet game. Not much influence. Not much to note. Got into a bit of biff late on, standard for Kiwi.

Hardwick - snagged a couple of goals, got involved. Provides really good movement and seems really comfortable at the level already. Would love to see him spend more time on ball.

Surman - quiet game, probably played 60% of it. Competed ok in the ruck, but nothing super special. Just learning the craft. Is quite slow off the mark but good hands. Has plenty there to work with, but a long way off. Good rookie selection.

Stewart - great speccy and typical maniacal pressure and tackling. Tackles and hurts players, which is amazing as he weighs as much as a wet rag. Turned the ball over a bit but was involved all day. Huge raps for the kid. Should be elevated at end of year. Playing a half forward role and a few minutes in the middle.

Lachie Langford - came more into the game late, great kick for goal. Played predominately as a deep forward and struggled at times with the poor delivery. Would be happy with his debut and will stay in the seniors. Good hands and repeat efforts. Still seems to lack a bit of fitness or has no engine. Spends a lot of time on the bench.

Chips and coffee were good. Hotdogs need improvement.

Bye next week and the boys are 4-0 after a pretty tough first month.

Good to get a win, but scrappy game against a terrible team to be honest. 1 win in nearly 2 years.
Cheers -sorry if people bag your opinions. These giant BH posts are gold. Much appreciated

Guys, What are your thoughts on what position Miles might eventually break into the Hawks line up?
I always read from the great reports here each week, he's in the backline, but also kicks goals each game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Guys, What are your thoughts on what position Miles might eventually break into the Hawks line up?
I always read from the great reports here each week, he's in the backline, but also kicks goals each game.
When i've seen him he tends to be the rebounding defender for large parts of the game, kind of Heath Shaw like.

However, he always finds a way to sneak forward/press up really high and snag an occasional goal.

I recall last season he was trialled for extended patches in games as a small forward to reasonable effect.

I think he is probably more comfortable behind the ball though, and use his skills, vision and run to set up attacking play

He plays a little like Harbrow, terrific evasive skills. Can't recall him playing on ball too often which seems strange as he seems to have all the attributes. I suppose he lacks the body to break a tackle, but the boy knows how to milk a free kick.

None of the BHH boys will get a run for Hawthorn next week owing to the 5 day break.

Brand and Pittonet were rested so thats perhaps a sign that Frawley won't come up from his concussion and Brand could debut against Richmond.
Pitt out might be to give Cegs a rest as Cegs hasn't been amazing this year or perhaps a lingering niggle.

Willsmore was probably BOG today. 27 disposals and kicked a couple, could have had 4 but sprayed a few. Has been very good all year.

more detailed obersevations to come. sometimes can't be bothered because people just shoot down your opinions on this board, but will see what i can do

Always read and appreciate your opinions MrP.

He is sort of a bit like a steele sidebottom in terms of creativity but not as prolific nor the ability to play mid from what we have seen to date. He sort of flashes in and out really smoothly both up back and when he pushes fwd. Just real quality from him. I could see him as a fwd but dont know he has the speed to chase defensively. Would love him to learn to win more ball.

He plays a little like Harbrow, terrific evasive skills. Can't recall him playing on ball too often which seems strange as he seems to have all the attributes. I suppose he lacks the body to break a tackle, but the boy knows how to milk a free kick.
Harbrow is a good comparison. Better than my sidebottom even if you can crack an egg on it.

Lovell has shown great hands and good speed but has not caught my eye with his disposal or general smarts. Miles hits targets. He started the year slowly but has been building. I thought Miles deserved selection over Lovell.

Last year a lot of people thought Miles was too small, i.e. needed a bit of bulk. What do people think this year, is he any bigger? (Unless they have gone from stick insect to incredible hulk I can never see things like this o_O ).

Lovell has shown great hands and good speed but has not caught my eye with his disposal or general smarts. Miles hits targets. He started the year slowly but has been building. I thought Miles deserved selection over Lovell.
I think your boy Willsmore might be in sooner rather than later given the media articles recently

Last year a lot of people thought Miles was too small, i.e. needed a bit of bulk. What do people think this year, is he any bigger? (Unless they have gone from stick insect to incredible hulk I can never see things like this o_O ).
Not noticeably bigger. I don't think size is holding him back from getting games at the minute though,

Remove this Banner Ad

Back