Preview Box Hill Vs Coburg

Remove this Banner Ad

Tobin Hallahan Simpkin Spangher Lock Lawlor

Great to see those 3 in the best.

Spanger puts pressure on Lake

Simpkin a mature body that could come in if an injury occurs

Hallahan is the future. Dont have many inside young mids floating around

A six goal/two club gale was howling at City Oval. The breeze stuffed up anyone trying to play a possession game. However, it was a great game to see who has real skill.

Some great work by most of the BHH guys, but I will only critique the HFC blokes.
Wang - best game I have seen from him. Played off a HBF and was very involved. His in-close work was clean and surprisingly strong. I'd love to see him as a full time mid, hopefully that is the long plan.

Ceglar continues to impress as ruck. He seemed to do more work after half time. They had the Big O and even though they seemed to win the clearances, I thought both our rucks at least broke even. That is a big step up from previous attempts against O. We seemed to win enough taps but too often the tap was not to our benefit. Dunno whose fault it is but we need to take advantage of a winning tap.

Spang started down back, then was moved up forward with the wind (causing litherland to cop a mismatch). He competes as hard as I have seen. Litherland got isolated against bigger bodies and came up short. He did his now almost trademark three or four bounce charge up the middle. He has serious jets, would love to see him do it more often per game.

Cheney played on Aaron Edwards. Thought Cheney held sway. Cheney regulalry displays a manic attack on the footy, if he gets a run this year he will go alright.

Grim was permanent forward. He struggled with the wind and his timing for marks was poor. What I like is his work rate. He presents tirelessly and gets to most contests.

Langers played mid/tagger. He got slammed into the turf just before half time. I think he got a knock to the head. Last I saw him he was stepping into an ambulance. What shits me is the tackle was late and just a cheap snipe.

Simpkin gets a heap of the ball in open play. Dunno why he is not playing AFL somewhere. Maybe kicking/decision making is the issue, not that he is bad, more that he is not outstanding.

Boseley was a defender. Hardly seem to touch it.

Hallahan plodded along and has no problem in finding the footy. He needs speed.

No shows were Frank, TOB and Duryea.

Coburg came out absolutely showed us how to play in that first qtr. Pressure on the ball carrier and switching the play to get a player open so that he could deliver to their forwards with some purpose. We were hurried with our disposal and rushed our kicks which were then picked off. They then killed us on the counter. Astbury had quite a few marks playing lose in defence. They were kicking with a decent wind advantage but we were not playing well. Completed dominated by the opposition in the first.

Our tackling pressure across the ground lifted after the 1 qtr bake from the coach. Illes and Simpkin got us back into the game in the second with some great run and spread.
We started lowering our eyes and picking our targets rather than just bombing into the forward line. The 3rd qtr was where we won it kicking against the wind we took a 9pt lead going into the last. Some great play by Tobin, Lock and Lawlor who redeemed himself after missing a sitter in the second qtr. Lock, Wood and Tobin have been in our best players the last few weeks in my book.

The last qtr was eventful as we had a delay because the siren wasn’t working the umpires restarted the game. We just got numbers behind the ball in that last qtr and stifled the game for a solid win under the circumstances. We lost a few soldiers including langford and Andrews in the 2nd and the captain (pratt) also carrying a bad injury. He was off for a long period before coming back on.

HFC Listed
Cheney: had his colours lowered this week had 5 kicked on him was competitive but was beaten on the day.
Simpkin stand out player today along with Illes I thought really is strong around the contest usually gathers effective possessions through congestion. He uses his mature body to great effect brushing aside pressure to get a clearing kick or handball.
Litherland: His week off last week was to his detriment. he didn't show anywhere near the form he has over the last couple of weeks. Needs continuation.
Wanganeen: Was quiet in the 1st like most of his team mates but really changed things around may have been lacking a little touch after coming back from a hammy. He worked his way into the game did some very nice things used his pace.
Grimmers: Took some mark on the lead but really had no influence on the game. Not one of his better games.
Ceglar: Good in the ruck and around the ground competed well. Solid performance.
Lowden: He had a reasonable game got a bit of it around the ground kicked a great goal in the second where he tapped the ball away from a Coburg runner then ran onto the ball and spun around and kicked it. Coming along nicely was also competitive in the ruck and around the ground.
Spangher: started poorly as a defender down back gave away free kicks and his opponent kicked a couple of goals in the first qtr shifted forward and had a good game presented well and used his body well to clear a path for our runners.
Langers: Seems he is box hill nominated tagger in the middle. His tacking has been a feature this year was a rather crude hit that put him out of the game.
Hallahan: got a bit of the ball but like others have mentioned he is slow across the ground. Did get hurt going the other way. He would need to improve his fitness and speed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back