The Law Boy off to court for recieving a stolen 70 cent Freddo frog.

Remove this Banner Ad

The piece of white filth who stole my car when I lived in WA & wrapped it around a light pole only got probation, even though he had a lot of previous charges, seems if you are a white junkie, it's not your fault & you shouldn't be jailed. :rolleyes:

I hope you never cry racism again, unless you're ready to admit you're a hypocrite. *

*No need to admit it, I already know.

You'd have to be pretty stubborn to argue otherwise.

So the massively disproportionate rate is simply due to racism?

You simply can not make a case for that.

Also, it's interesting to note that the hardest atitude in this thread seem to come from states where aborigional incraceration are among the highest.

Do you really find it odd that people with first hand experience of similar situations have a different perspective than those a vast distance away?

I dont know people are even arguing about the justic system.

Surely this is a parenting issue. Also not hard to argue that is simply shows up the stupidity of religious and racial vilification laws.

So the massively disproportionate rate is simply due to racism?

You simply can not make a case for that.

Yes you can, at least in part. A Royal Commission pretty much came to that conclusion nearly twenty years ago, and s**t still hasn't changed.

Yes you can, at least in part. A Royal Commission pretty much came to that conclusion nearly twenty years ago, and s**t still hasn't changed.

Fairfaxesque nonsense, trying to convince the gullible that in a perfect world equality of outcomes would occur.

IIRC your article (and who knows how biased it is) said 50% and twice as likely to be charged.

What does that leave? 25%? Compared to what % of the population?

Do the maths.

I am sure if you looked you could find plenty more examples like this.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/12/11/2114977.htm

Queensland Aboriginal leaders have called for a District Court judge to be stood down after she allowed nine Indigenous males who raped a 10-year-old girl at Aurukun on Cape York to walk free

^^ More Bolt-esque bigotry

Stop being stupid.

They are your stats

If equally rather than twice as likely to be nicked they would still be massively disproportionately represented.

Is the statement of (your) fact bigotry now?

Hoist on your own petard.

different topic, poor deflection

Nonetheless the report says (9.2.1 )

in August 1988 Aboriginal people were apprehended and placed in police cells at a rate over twenty times that of non-Aboriginal people

So let us say for the sake of extreme generosity that racism accounts for 50% then does that not leave the stat at 10 times that of the rest of the population?

Now are you going to continue on with your silly little bigotry line?

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/other/IndigLRes/rciadic/national/vol1/145.html

btw no bias in the link either

This disproportion in incarceration levels is a national disgrace, one which shames Australia in the eyes of the international community.

No its not. Go and read the sections on why blacks are more likely to be charged, refused bail, and incarcerated at higher rates than non-blacks for the same offences.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No its not. Go and read the sections on why blacks are more likely to be charged, refused bail, and incarcerated at higher rates than non-blacks for the same offences.

Give it up. You said twice as likely and now you realise you have dug yourself in to a big hole you are deflecting all over the place.

I did read the relevant parts, hence the link and the section I referred to.

No I didn't, you did. I just quoted an article a week or two ago, I don't know where the author got his figures from. Considering that Royal Comission wound up nearly twenty years ago one would assume he was citing more recent data. I don't know either way, but it's better than any data you have cited, ie. none, you're just going of your bigoted preconceptions.

Anyway, this issue gets under my skin way too much, I don't want to argue about it with anyone i have a semblance of respect for because I don't want to end up saying the things I will end up saying. So on that note, I'll leave this thread to you now.

Right. Then how does that explain the fact that Aborigional's are more likely to be charged, refused bail and subsquently jailed than non-Aborigional's for exactly the same offences?

I can't argue with this level of stupid, this time i really AM going to try to stay out of this thread.

Right. Then how does that explain the fact that Aborigional's are more likely to be charged, refused bail and subsquently jailed than non-Aborigional's for exactly the same offences?

I can't argue with this level of stupid, this time i really AM going to try to stay out of this thread.

You are right, I am sure there is an element of underlying racism in the police/justice system, and this leads to disproportionate sentences and unnecessary incarceration.

However, it is a fact that Aboriginal people commit a disproportionate amount of offenses. There are obviously a myriad of social, cultural and economic reasons for this, but if someone has committed a serious crime, they should be imprisoned regardless of race.

If it's with the same prior record, then I guess that's underlying racism.

But people with a record are more likely to get jail time than people on their first offence. i.e. if 2 people go up on burglary - 1 has 10 priors and the other doesn't, then the person with priors is a lot more likely to go to jail. And I would imagine aboriginal people that go up in front of court are a lot more likely to have a record, so consequently are more likely to be charged, refused bail and jailed. Which, if that is the case, is no evidence of racism at all.

Do your stats take prior record into account, or do they just include race and offence?

If it's with the same prior record, then I guess that's underlying racism.

But people with a record are more likely to get jail time than people on their first offence. i.e. if 2 people go up on burglary - 1 has 10 priors and the other doesn't, then the person with priors is a lot more likely to go to jail. And I would imagine aboriginal people that go up in front of court are a lot more likely to have a record, so consequently are more likely to be charged, refused bail and jailed. Which, if that is the case, is no evidence of racism at all.

Do your stats take prior record into account, or do they just include race and offence?

IMO it is underlying racism..
last week I was in a work car, with 2 indigenous worksers and myself. We were pulled up by the police doing checks.I was in the back seat. It wasnt until I spoke and the policemn looked into the back seat and saw a white lady, that things changed in an instant. it was shocking, and I was embarrassed as heck.

IMO it is underlying racism..
last week I was in a work car, with 2 indigenous worksers and myself. We were pulled up by the police doing checks.I was in the back seat. It wasnt until I spoke and the policemn looked into the back seat and saw a white lady, that things changed in an instant. it was shocking, and I was embarrassed as heck.

I can understand why...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back