Recommitted Brad Crouch [RFA 2020]

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair enough, I don't think both parties see the deal as priority. I am happy for him to go back to Victoria next year , no point having a player just for money and become another ablett. Adelaide players exudus is slowly catching up to GCS level.

No point in having a player just for money you say.... Hugh Greenwood just did that with you guys. Could have gone to Brisbane or Hawthorn but for some reason picked the bottom of the ladder team. Why do you think that is?

Geez that would be pretty generous. An AA mid and bnf winner, the other will be a bnf winner later this week, plus pick 4 and greenwood

I know people like to devalue Adelaide crows players when there’s talk of them being traded but this is a bit over the top
You have read it wrong I reckon. Pick 4 wasn't involved in the proposal. Crouch x 2, Greenwood (for, 4) Lukoscious, Rankine, 1 and 2. Either way it's Crows nuffy of the highest order. Greenwood is worth a packet of Twisties and the Crouch's may get you pick 2 combined.

You have read it wrong I reckon. Pick 4 wasn't involved in the proposal. Crouch x 2, Greenwood (for, 4) Lukoscious, Rankine, 1 and 2. Either way it's Crows nuffy of the highest order. Greenwood is worth a packet of Twisties and the Crouch's may get you pick 2 combined.

Brad Crouch just as good as Omeara and Matt Crouch better than Worpel. Would you trade omeara and worpel for pick 2? I wouldn’t think so

Will you admit one thing Brad is a contracted RFA, He will get us a band one compo next year, if brad stays on his current contract he earns much less $$$$, If brad goes as a RFA next year GC looks far less attractive for Brad who is Victorian with every club having a free hit.

Where are we predicted to finish next year, if you look at the main board we are predicted to finish 17th in most neutrals minds that is pick 2 for us, I think we will get to 15th giving us pick 4.

Do you honestly believe anyone who values their job at the club would trade him for under this, if you say yes, then you are just taking the piss and aren't being logical

Greenwood, yes worth a third, no question

No point in having a player just for money you say.... Hugh Greenwood just did that with you guys. Could have gone to Brisbane or Hawthorn but for some reason picked the bottom of the ladder team. Why do you think that is?
I believe Suns offered extra year with a trigger?

I missed the part where Neale was injured half his career.
Durability a strong consideration. Crouch played half the number of games.
At their best Neale prior to this year was a tier above, after this year Neale two tiers above crouch.
I think you will find brad crouch was named in the top 5 players in the 2017 finals series. He was also sitting inside the top 20 players in the comp in the coaches awards heading into.round 23 this year. He has just come Off of a full season without injury. The surgery he had in 2018 appears to have corrected the persistent groin issues he had. Assuming this is the case it is no stretch to see him go even better next year. So please lay off the neale is a tier above comments as it is just plain wrong

I think you will find brad crouch was named in the top 5 players in the 2017 finals series. He was also sitting inside the top 20 players in the comp in the coaches awards heading into.round 23 this year. He has just come Off of a full season without injury. The surgery he had in 2018 appears to have corrected the persistent groin issues he had. Assuming this is the case it is no stretch to see him go even better next year. So please lay off the neale is a tier above comments as it is just plain wrong
It’s clear we value crouch quite differently.
That’s fine.
From my side of things

I think danger, bont, Cripps, Martin, Fyfe etc are blue chip top tier
Next tier: Neale, yeo, jelly, macrae
Next tier: Cunnington, telly, cogs, Parker, Zorko, treloar
Next tier: Heppell, Sloane, Taranto, brad crouch.

For one year, no contract considerations I’d take all of those others in higher tiers plus a number that I didn’t name above him.

He’s a good player. No doubt. Close to top 20 midfielders in the Comp.

On the injury front you might be right - I’d like to see him put together more than one consecutive season before I’m convinced. The guys above have (with some exceptions) played 5+ full consecutive seasons. Brad has put max of 1 so far.

Geez that would be pretty generous. An AA mid and bnf winner, the other will be a bnf winner later this week, plus pick 4 and greenwood

I know people like to devalue Adelaide crows players when there’s talk of them being traded but this is a bit over the top

This wasn't meant to be a dig at Adelaide and I originally didn't have pick 4 or the second rounder coming back in the mix. I'm from Adelaide and while I don't support them I do like seeing them succeed for my friend's sake.

I think if Adelaide are willing to trade both Crouch's its a bit of a testament to where they see their quality. If they were truly damagin elite midfielders I can't see them ever wanting to get rid of them but while they rack pill at ease I don't often seem them as overly damaging. Greenwood I actually rate higher than most but Lukosious/Rankine are in the situation where they're still being touted as generational players so you'd likely have to pay overs to get.

This wasn't meant to be a dig at Adelaide and I originally didn't have pick 4 or the second rounder coming back in the mix. I'm from Adelaide and while I don't support them I do like seeing them succeed for my friend's sake.

I think if Adelaide are willing to trade both Crouch's its a bit of a testament to where they see their quality. If they were truly damagin elite midfielders I can't see them ever wanting to get rid of them but while they rack pill at ease I don't often seem them as overly damaging. Greenwood I actually rate higher than most but Lukosious/Rankine are in the situation where they're still being touted as generational players so you'd likely have to pay overs to get.
I think you have only to look back to 2017 where the crows midfield was very dominant throughout the season apart from the bad day at the end of september the crouch boys were terrific. Fast forward this year and the crouch boys were good..brad quite good but the game plan stank and not just them but the entire team suffered. Get a coach with a better game plan and a midfield coach who knows how to set up good running patterns and you watch the crouch boys go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you have only to look back to 2017 where the crows midfield was very dominant throughout the season apart from the bad day at the end of september the crouch boys were terrific. Fast forward this year and the crouch boys were good..brad quite good but the game plan stank and not just them but the entire team suffered. Get a coach with a better game plan and a midfield coach who knows how to set up good running patterns and you watch the crouch boys go.

Forgive me for not knowing this but what changed in the game plan between 2017 and 2018, wasn't the coach the same?

Forgive me for not knowing this but what changed in the game plan between 2017 and 2018, wasn't the coach the same?
Well the off field issues.... injuries crept in 2018 and than ageing players.

It’s clear we value crouch quite differently.
That’s fine.
From my side of things

I think danger, bont, Cripps, Martin, Fyfe etc are blue chip top tier
Next tier: Neale, yeo, jelly, macrae
Next tier: Cunnington, telly, cogs, Parker, Zorko, treloar
Next tier: Heppell, Sloane, Taranto, brad crouch.

For one year, no contract considerations I’d take all of those others in higher tiers plus a number that I didn’t name above him.

He’s a good player. No doubt. Close to top 20 midfielders in the Comp.

On the injury front you might be right - I’d like to see him put together more than one consecutive season before I’m convinced. The guys above have (with some exceptions) played 5+ full consecutive seasons. Brad has put max of 1 so far.
So why is your mob looking at 5 year deals for him then?

no, there was a big change at assistant coach level - we lost Teague and he was the architect of the forward line. Camporeale was midfield coach and Podsiadly was defensive coach. This year we had Hart running the forward line - yuck. Godden running the midfield - now no disrespect, but he coached woodville west torrens but came up short in finals year in year out and listening to him on radio, he sounded clueless - no AFL experience and it has showed badly. Pyke also changed his game plan after 2017 to become more defensive and to hold the ball longer and make it a possession game it has not worked for the players we have - we don't have blinding pace across the park.

We know Pyke is gone and we are expecting the review to recommend significant changes to the football department and assistant / line coaching level

So why is your mob looking at 5 year deals for him then?
Because he's still a good player.
If we could get Cunnington or Luke Parker to come don't you think we'd be doing the same thing.
Wonder our recruiters see him as gettable given the apparent Adelaide exodus - at an injury affected price, put with the potential to get over those injuries and put together a good few seasons - I'm only guessing.

Look, if we end up with him, I'd be happy to get a good player who would be our best midfielder - no doubt. I just think he's not quite at the 'elite' level and so saying he should be valued as Lachie Neale's equal - I disagree with.

Why not declare he is not for sale rather than come out with silly rumours like Rankine is more likely to go home compare to Lukosius and Rozee combo or getting the kings brother or GCS should trade Lukosius and Rankine to get Rowell and Anderson in this year draft. You don't trade something before knowing what going behind close door. People read your opinion but you always get it wrong how to justified.

Same language used by GWS in respect of Tom Boyd (and to a lesser extent Brisbane and Dayne Beams).

The club aren't proactively shopping him around, but aren't categorically ruling out a too good to be true offer/circumstances changing/hand being forced.

I didn’t take it as a dig

but to the point made about them being damaging, and if they were they wouldn’t be up for trade. If you want to trade in a pick 2 or luckosious or rankine you have to trade out quality. You can’t really say they’re on the trade table cause Adelaide don’t think they’re damaging. If anything they’re on the trade table to try and get one of those I mentioned above.

for what it’s worth I don’t think they are on the table. Wreckon it’s more media hype

but to the point made about them being damaging, and if they were they wouldn’t be up for trade. If you want to trade in a pick 2 or luckosious or rankine you have to trade out quality. You can’t really say they’re on the trade table cause Adelaide don’t think they’re damaging. If anything they’re on the trade table to try and get one of those I mentioned above.

for what it’s worth I don’t think they are on the table. Wreckon it’s more media hype
I think one of the things that is being missed when talking about one or both of the brothers is leadership. Yes they're not the most talented midfielders going around, but one of the key things I think that GC has been missing is on and off field leadership which the brothers would give you. Matt is ready made team captain that I think would suit perfectly with your young players.

Also they try their guts out every game, and give that engine room which then allows for more explosive/talented players to feed off of. There's no doubt GC has natural talent on their list that would benefit greatly from one or both of the brothers playing in that midfield and taking the pressure off the young players.

I think a deal can be made that both teams win from, such as Crows give up both brothers, pick 4 and Greenwood and GC give up Luko and their 2020 first round pick and maybe another development player or later pick depending on how confident they are one where they'll finish in 2020. Opening the inside mid spots up then allows Gibbs to go back in where he's played his best football, as well as letting the likes of McHenry and Wilson to develop into those roles.

Last edited:

I'm not saying Adelaide think they're not damaging at all, I'm saying that if they're willing to trade then Adelaide don't think they're damaging enough to be indisposable midfielders to their team and if that is their view then I can't, in the same sentence, consider them absolute top tier midfielders in the game despite accomplishments that would suggest this such as AAs/club champs etc.

I think they're both very good players but I feel Adelaide are unfortunately in the position where they're going to have to pay reasonable overs if they want to get someone like Lukosious, Rankine (not happening apparently), pick 1 or 2.

Think you're probably right about media trying to sell papers too, happens every year.

In comparison to the Neale trade how is it "fair"

Neale was a 2 time BnF Winner (and 2 X best player from a WA club both years WCE player Finals, including last year when they won the flag).

Also looking at the Wingard trade as a comparison, put his value at roughly 3 and Crouch isn't in the same league.

Even factoring in the suns desperation for players thats still ridiculous.

What would the compensation pick be if we lose him as a FA next year?
Considering we'll likely be bottom 6 and he will definitely be in the highest % bracket of pay.
We would get an after first pick compensation.

So unless we're getting more than say pick 7 from Gold Coast I doubt we do anything.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back