List Mgmt. Brady Rawlings | Head of Football Talent (Recruitment, LM & TPP)

Remove this Banner Ad

The actual trade deals done to bring in Fisher and Stephens are OK, as they gave us a very strong draft hand last year.
But both were the wrong type of player for what we need and the 4 year deals are unnecessary.
The main issue is the identification of the players we chase from other clubs. Been miss after miss

Hopefully working in the background to secure another list manager, so we can move on Brady and Clayton.
Take no pleasure in wanting him gone, because he's a good guy who gave everything for the jumper on field.

Brady isn’t forward thinking enough, look at what you get in the giants recruiting mob, actively identifying talent that fits their game plan and model.

We are sitting here with Larkey as our only key forward, we trade future picks live to get injured potential talent and they can’t even get on the park.

Need to get more creative in the talent id stakes

Brady isn’t forward thinking enough, look at what you get in the giants recruiting mob, actively identifying talent that fits their game plan and model.

We are sitting here with Larkey as our only key forward, we trade future picks live to get injured potential talent and they can’t even get on the park.

Need to get more creative in the talent id stakes
Tbf to Rawlings, difficult to recruit to a game plan when you’ve had multiple coach changes and even more game plan changes.

GWS, McCartney, Kingsley and even their board in Bartel, are super clear with how they want to play. We are so far from that as an organisation it isn’t funny. Whilst I do think it’s time for Brady to move on, I don’t blame him alone for us not being at GWS level.

Too many are taking quick easy potshots at Brady, from the cheap seats. The list appears bad, blame the current list manager, apparently. That's what we're supposed to do.

Here's the last four drafts in which he's been a list manager. Leaving aside the rookies, mid-season drafts and the pre-seasons, only one player is not on still on the list from those four drafts.

All of Goater, Curtis and Bergman can play and will have a future with us. Laz has been serviceable. Will Phillips is only 21. As is Tom Powell and Laz. Eddie Ford looks to be a great pickup.

Brayden George has had zero luck with injury. The only fail has been Spicer, and he was taken at pick #42.

Way too early to be sinking the boots into this guy. At least from a drafts perspective. Trading is another discussion, but in terms of drafts, I reckon, whatever role he's had, it's going pretty well.

* Will Phillips​
2020​
3​
32​
-​
* Tom Powell​
2020​
13​
45​
-​
* Charlie Lazzaro​
2020​
36​
30​
-​
Phoenix Spicer​
2020​
42​
12​
2023​
* Eddie Ford​
2020​
56​
22​
-​
Patrick Walker​
2020​
R2​
-​
2022​
Connor Menadue​
2020​
R18​
7​
2021​
Tom Lynch​
2021​
PSR​
-​
2022​
Jacob Edwards​
2021​
M1​
-​
2023​
Charlie Ham​
2021​
M16​
-​
2021​
Jason Horne-Francis​
2021​
1​
17​
2022​
* Josh Goater​
2021​
22​
11​
-​
* Paul Curtis​
2021​
35​
36​
-​
* Miller Bergman​
2021​
38​
13​
-​
* Jackson Archer​
2021​
59​
8​
-​
* Kallan Dawson​
2022​
M2​
5​
-​
Jared Polec​
2022​
PSR​
-​
2022​
* Harry Sheezel​
2022​
2​
23​
-​
* George Wardlaw​
2022​
3​
8​
-​
* Brayden George​
2022​
26​
-​
-​
* Cooper Harvey​
2022​
56​
3​
-​
* Blake Drury​
2022​
R1​
4​
-​
* Hamish Free​
2022​
R19​
-​
-​
Daniel Howe​
2022​
R33​
11​
2023​
Kayne Turner​
2022​
R39​
130​
2023​
Player
Year
Position
Games
Delist/trade/retire
Liam Shiels​
2023​
SSP​
16​
-​
Robert Hansen Jr​
2023​
M2​
2​
-​
Colby McKercher​
2023​
2​
-​
-​
Zane Duursma​
2023​
4​
-​
-​
Taylor Goad​
2023​
20​
-​
-​
Will Dawson​
2023​
22​
-​
-​
Riley Hardeman​
2023​
23​
-​
-​
Finbar Maley​
2023​
R2​
-​
-​
Tyler Sellers​
2024​
SSP​
-​
-​

Tbf to Rawlings, difficult to recruit to a game plan when you’ve had multiple coach changes and even more game plan changes.

GWS, McCartney, Kingsley and even their board in Bartel, are super clear with how they want to play. We are so far from that as an organisation it isn’t funny. Whilst I do think it’s time for Brady to move on, I don’t blame him alone for us not being at GWS level.

Every game plan in the comp requires 2 KPFs.

Too many are taking quick easy potshots at Brady, from the cheap seats. The list appears bad, blame the current list manager, apparently. That's what we're supposed to do.

Here's the last four drafts in which he's been a list manager. Leaving aside the rookies, mid-season drafts and the pre-seasons, only one player is not on still on the list from those four drafts.

All of Goater, Curtis and Bergman can play and will have a future with us. Laz has been serviceable. Will Phillips is only 21. As is Tom Powell and Laz. Eddie Ford looks to be a great pickup.

Brayden George has had zero luck with injury. The only fail has been Spicer, and he was taken at pick #42.

Way too early to be sinking the boots into this guy. At least from a drafts perspective. Trading is another discussion, but in terms of drafts, I reckon, whatever role he's had, it's going pretty well.

* Will Phillips​
2020​
3​
32​
-​
* Tom Powell​
2020​
13​
45​
-​
* Charlie Lazzaro​
2020​
36​
30​
-​
Phoenix Spicer​
2020​
42​
12​
2023​
* Eddie Ford​
2020​
56​
22​
-​
Patrick Walker​
2020​
R2​
-​
2022​
Connor Menadue​
2020​
R18​
7​
2021​
Tom Lynch​
2021​
PSR​
-​
2022​
Jacob Edwards​
2021​
M1​
-​
2023​
Charlie Ham​
2021​
M16​
-​
2021​
Jason Horne-Francis​
2021​
1​
17​
2022​
* Josh Goater​
2021​
22​
11​
-​
* Paul Curtis​
2021​
35​
36​
-​
* Miller Bergman​
2021​
38​
13​
-​
* Jackson Archer​
2021​
59​
8​
-​
* Kallan Dawson​
2022​
M2​
5​
-​
Jared Polec​
2022​
PSR​
-​
2022​
* Harry Sheezel​
2022​
2​
23​
-​
* George Wardlaw​
2022​
3​
8​
-​
* Brayden George​
2022​
26​
-​
-​
* Cooper Harvey​
2022​
56​
3​
-​
* Blake Drury​
2022​
R1​
4​
-​
* Hamish Free​
2022​
R19​
-​
-​
Daniel Howe​
2022​
R33​
11​
2023​
Kayne Turner​
2022​
R39​
130​
2023​
Player
Year
Position
Games
Delist/trade/retire
Liam Shiels​
2023​
SSP​
16​
-​
Robert Hansen Jr​
2023​
M2​
2​
-​
Colby McKercher​
2023​
2​
-​
-​
Zane Duursma​
2023​
4​
-​
-​
Taylor Goad​
2023​
20​
-​
-​
Will Dawson​
2023​
22​
-​
-​
Riley Hardeman​
2023​
23​
-​
-​
Finbar Maley​
2023​
R2​
-​
-​
Tyler Sellers​
2024​
SSP​
-​
-​

Sorry mate but I think you're grossly overrating the success of these drafts, being 2020 and 2021.

Not to mention that the picks in 2020-21 barely make sense when you consider what would be available for us in 2022-23.

Last edited:
Haha. People in here still defending him?

Time to give Drury a contract until 2030 Brady. I’ve heard Collingwood are coming for him.
i get where your coming from but there are plenty of other players to dump on than drury, fwiw given his lack of talent he is prolly one of the most driven blokes on the list, hard to mock a bloke for trying to make the most of lack of god given talent, a couple of the more senior/talented players could actually learn a thing or 2 from him,

He needs to go. 4 years is long enough to see he can't make correct decisions around recruiting and talent spotting

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes Zondor you have been on him to be removed for a long time .
Surely he goes, I don't think there is any demotions left.

I think we have a shitta cleaner currently and theyre doing an ok job.
Is that the issue?
We’ve got a shite shitta cleaner and they all suffer from dysentery because of poor sanitation.

So last year we had CCJ and Zurhaar running around at CHF for the majority of the year.

And this year we have.. well we have Zurhaar again whose half checked out.

It was blatantly obvious that if we couldn’t identify a genuine supporting act for Larkey and find another focal point for our midfielders to kick to - then we would struggle.

And so draft and trade period came and went and we did nothing about it.
I literally said we’re gonna run with Greenwood as our CHF and look where we are. It’s bullshit

Things were so desperate that we ended up bringing in Sellers half way thru preseason because our match sim showed how ****ed we were structurally. And it’s only because he was right under our noses.

So all those picks and all that cap space and donkey decides to go and get Fishers and Stephen instead of a genuine tall.

Over pay. Do something ffs
Just get Larkey some genuine help.
In the past we found Cam Pedersen who did a job for a year or 2. So you can find the right players.

Anyways. It’s harder than it looks. Wtf do we even know you bunch of critical miserable f***s

Stay in your lane

Sorry mate but I think you're grossly overrating the success of these drafts, being 2020 and 2021.

Not to mention that the picks in 2020-21 barely make sense when you consider what would be available for us in 2022-23.
Was anyone planning in 2020 that we would have top 2 picks in 2022 and 2023? Perhaps we should have but with Shaw barely out the door and Noble barely in, and nobody in charge, it seems we really didn't have the foresight. With the benefit of hindsight and the talent we have accumulated in 2022 and 2023, certainly you would want a do-over for both 2020 and 2021 first round picks. But if we'd gone a different direction in 2021 with JHF and perhaps taken the Adelaide offer, I imagine the narrative would be that if JHF was starring for Adelaide then we must have made a mistake not taking him.

Really, the only questionable choices were to take all mids instead of KP talls when they were available. So in real terms, Phillips instead of McDonald, Sheezel instead of Cadman, and McKercher instead of Curtin. The only one that is demonstrably wrong at this moment is Phillips over McDonald. I doubt that anyone here is ready to hand back Sheezel or McKercher.

So last year we had CCJ and Zurhaar running around at CHF for the majority of the year.

It was blatantly obvious that if we couldn’t identify a genuine supporting act for Larkey and find another focal point for our midfielders to kick to - then we would struggle.

I literally said we’re gonna run with Greenwood as our CHF and look where we are. It’s bullshit

Things were so desperate that we ended up bringing in Sellers half way thru preseason because our match sim showed how ****ed we were structurally. And it’s only because he was right under our noses.

So all those picks and all that cap space and donkey decides to go and get Fishers and Stephen instead of a genuine tall.

In the past we found Cam Pedersen who did a job for a year or 2. So you can find the right players.

Anyways. It’s harder than it looks. Wtf do we even know you bunch of critical miserable f***s

Stay in your lane
Which key forwards were available to overpay for in the last trade period? And who was willing to come to North Melbourne at any price? I wish we had another competitive key forward too, but I also wish for a never-ending packet of Tim Tams.

Was anyone planning in 2020 that we would have top 2 picks in 2022 and 2023? Perhaps we should have but with Shaw barely out the door and Noble barely in, and nobody in charge, it seems we really didn't have the foresight. With the benefit of hindsight and the talent we have accumulated in 2022 and 2023, certainly you would want a do-over for both 2020 and 2021 first round picks. But if we'd gone a different direction in 2021 with JHF and perhaps taken the Adelaide offer, I imagine the narrative would be that if JHF was starring for Adelaide then we must have made a mistake not taking him.

Really, the only questionable choices were to take all mids instead of KP talls when they were available. So in real terms, Phillips instead of McDonald, Sheezel instead of Cadman, and McKercher instead of Curtin. The only one that is demonstrably wrong at this moment is Phillips over McDonald. I doubt that anyone here is ready to hand back Sheezel or McKercher.

Given at the end of 2020 they'd just conducted one of the biggest list culls we've had, if they couldn't predict that we'd be at the draft pointy end for 2021-22 then that's a woeful lack of foresight you'd expect from a team being paid to make exactly those kinds of assessments. That was hot off the back of misreading Melbourne relative to us just one year earlier as well.

Agreed it's the all mids/medium forwards approach that'd you'd reconsider, which was the point I was making. Phillips, Powell, Lazzaro, Spicer, Ford ( plus Stevo) all in one draft didn't make sense in the context of JHF, Sheezel, Wardlaw, etc. being available in the years following. Such a glut of players in one or two positions didn't give them the best chance to flourish, which we're seeing now.

Last edited:

Stay in your lane

It's a hard sell at the moment tazaa. Players don't want to come to us and the market for potential key forwards is very slim.

Sellers was the best performing state league player in that position, so we gave him a shot, and he looks like he isn't quite up to the required level at this early stage.

I think we could've gone harder at Mabior Chol, but after watching Hawthorn, we'd be pretty frustrated with the way he plays. He is a lazy and selfish footballer. He ended up signing a 3 year deal with the Hawks and I reckon he'll end up a list clogger by the end of that contract.

Looking at other clubs lists, it doesn't look as though there are many realistic targets out there, maybe we could've offered up a deal to someone like Levi Casboult?

Ultimately though, the lack of talls in the forward half has been an issue since we traded out Ben Brown. It's laughable that there was no contingencies in place to replace him once it was decided he was out the door.

Nah, can't have that. He was a very effective player in his own way. Gave everything.

Does that mean he's effective in the role/s he's been asked to do since? Clearly not. But it's not fair to question his actual football.
He was what Jack Dyer would call a good ordinary footballer. He gave it his all could not question his commitment, but his foot passing was terrible. I used to call him 'apples" as in apple turnover.

It's a hard sell at the moment tazaa. Players don't want to come to us and the market for potential key forwards is very slim.

Sellers was the best performing state league player in that position, so we gave him a shot, and he looks like he isn't quite up to the required level at this early stage.

I think we could've gone harder at Mabior Chol, but after watching Hawthorn, we'd be pretty frustrated with the way he plays. He is a lazy and selfish footballer. He ended up signing a 3 year deal with the Hawks and I reckon he'll end up a list clogger by the end of that contract.

Looking at other clubs lists, it doesn't look as though there are many realistic targets out there, maybe we could've offered up a deal to someone like Levi Casboult?

Ultimately though, the lack of talls in the forward half has been an issue since we traded out Ben Brown. It's laughable that there was no contingencies in place to replace him once it was decided he was out the door.
If Comben hadn't spent years in injury hell we wouldn't be saying this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back