Player Watch Brayden Maynard

Remove this Banner Ad

I hate to remind posters - but I will:D - of earlier this season, when Maynard's continued selection was met by threats to storm the Holden Centre. The kid needed time and more time at AFL level, and the coaches of course knew that. The half man-half bull will be fantastic for us. Is that right spartan-magpie? He's your boy.

I hate to remind posters - but I will:D - of earlier this season, when Maynard's continued selection was met by threats to storm the Holden Centre. The kid needed time and more time at AFL level, and the coaches of course knew that. The half man-half bull will be fantastic for us. Is that right spartan-magpie? He's your boy.

Yep. My boy, our boy.... He's turning into very good player for us...

Love it when he runs forward and back himself to chop of marks, intercept and goal. Is a lovely kick. Can't wait till the maynartoar has tank that compliments his ability. Kid will be an absolute champ!

Couldn't believe the size of him when you see him in the flesh. Imagine what he'll look like in his mid 20's.

spike.jpg

As I said before, the most important thing for Maynard is confidence, earlier this year he made several stupid errors that cost us a couple of goals. I was calling to drop him not to damage his confidence too much to hurt his career. Luckily this guy went through second part of season beautifully. I have not watched footy for a very long time but his left boot reminds me about our great Benny Johnson.

What was his role last night for those who watched him more closely than i did?

I see he only had the 10 touches but he did kick a crucial goal.

Did he shut someone down?
I did notice him on hunter couple times when it was in bullies forward line so he may have been on him when he went forward. Not sure how much time he may have spent on him but didnt think hunter had a huge influence

What was his role last night for those who watched him more closely than i did?

I see he only had the 10 touches but he did kick a crucial goal.

Did he shut someone down?
He was off for a good portion of the second half I'm pretty sure. He copped a knee in the back of the head from Boyd.

Love this kid, those terrible clangers are few and far between. And hasn't been phased by '2nd year blues' ! Really built on from last year.
Has a massive ceiling, can see him turning into a damaging back flanker who can pinch hit in the middle

Surely we should have got him
Agreed. How did this happen. Unless the Pies really don't rate him at all, but given he has been deemed good enough for Melbourne we should have signed him up anyway. Cat B rookie is basically a free hit, and we had his brother as a drawcard - how did we lose out to the bloody dees. Are we seen to be more of a basket case than that club now?

What a season where people are talking up the Demons finals hopes, they beat us twice in a year, and half our team is in Greece already and it's only August.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed. How did this happen. Unless the Pies really don't rate him at all, but given he has been deemed good enough for Melbourne we should have signed him up anyway. Cat B rookie is basically a free hit, and we had his brother as a drawcard - how did we lose out to the bloody dees. Are we seen to be more of a basket case than that club now?

What a season where people are talking up the Demons finals hopes, they beat us twice in a year, and half our team is in Greece already and it's only August.

Maybe his dad working there was a bigger influence than his brother playing with us. Or maybe he thinks our list is better than theirs and believes he's a better chance of elevating himself?

Either way, I'm not fussed as long as Bray doesn't go to the Dees to join him!

Maybe his dad working there was a bigger influence than his brother playing with us. Or maybe he thinks our list is better than theirs and believes he's a better chance of elevating himself?

I'm not fussed either, for the record, about missing out on this particular player. Just would have thought that Collingwood should always be the favourite to win out in cases like this as we can offer money, good facilities and fans to the player, a la Mason Cox.

You're assuming we wanted him? The HS article simply said we had been keeping tabs on him, not that we had actually made an offer, which is what I'm assuming we would have done if we were keen. We could well have another cat B candidate already lined up.

You're assuming we wanted him? The HS article simply said we had been keeping tabs on him, not that we had actually made an offer, which is what I'm assuming we would have done if we were keen. We could well have another cat B candidate already lined up.
A new poster named pie abroad mentioned on the weekend that we have an irish kid by name of rian o'neill doing a 3 week trial so i think your right there.

I'm hoping he does go to the Demons and likely to happen either this year or next as part of a Petracca deal.

somewhere back in this thread i suggested we chase Corey... I have no doubt he's perfectly suited to switching to footy and i have little doubt he will play senior footy... he could prove a steal.. as a basketballer he looked a lot like a football, very physical.
as for why he has headed to Melbourne there are a few factors at play: his dad played a few games for them (and someone suggested he works there?). Also, they are building a formidable list. I believe they just need to unearth another gun forward (maybe Weidemann) and they will have a list capable of winning a flag in the next three years. Great young midfield (Viney, Petracca, Brayshaw, Tyson, etc)... a gun ruckman (Gawn), potential superstar forward (Hogan) and their defence is starting to look really solid and developing.

We can have up to three players on the Cat B rookie list... If he's good enough for a chance at Melbourne, he's good enough for a chance with us, it's basically a free hit. Unless Hine knows something Melbourne doesn't and really thinks he's terrible, which is a possibility I suppose, I just don't see why we wouldn't have tried to get him.

We can have up to three players on the Cat B rookie list... If he's good enough for a chance at Melbourne, he's good enough for a chance with us, it's basically a free hit. Unless Hine knows something Melbourne doesn't and really thinks he's terrible, which is a possibility I suppose, I just don't see why we wouldn't have tried to get him.
I was under the impression there were only two cat b rookie places available. Oh well, it's unlikely to bite us. The success rate of cat B rookies is pretty low.

You're right, however, it's not so much about the player more about the fact that someone would pick Melbourne over us :\
Ah well. He's in his mid 20's already, and will have a hell of a lot of catching up to do to make it at this point. It will be interesting to see whether he makes it or goes the same way as Wyatt and Richmond.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back