Player Watch Brayden Maynard

Remove this Banner Ad

So theres always calls to play him in the middle.

Has he ever even played centre in his career?
He played midfield in the last couple of games of 2017 and did pretty well. The following preseason he trained with the midfield group and appeared set to become a midfielder with a few references from the club about it, but for some reason it didn't eventuate. I personally think he's ideally suited to half back. Would be a good wingman, but we've got a pretty long queue for the wings. But his decision making in traffic isn't good enough for the midfield and he also takes too long to wind up that left boot of his.

3rdMan

Club Legend
Sep 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Pretty sure I remember him playing a good midfield game against the Dees in 2017. And Brayden himself said he wanted more midfield time in 2018.

Agree that his best spot is defence, especially with our current mix. As one of our quickest, gruntiest and longest kicks back there, he's very important.

3rdMan

Club Legend
Sep 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yep, at the end of a poor year in 2017 we pushed him into the midfield and we had a good win over Melbourne with Maynard:

23 disposals, 5 clearances, 5 tackles, 6 inside 50s (also 90% game time).

He was asked that question at a function I was at a couple of weeks ago and he said he’s trying hard to get his tank up so he can try break his way into the middle. He’s quite happy playing down back though.
Unless we have injuries, I reckon he's no chance of cracking into our midfield.

Sleuth1

Team Captain
Jul 4, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
One of my favorite players. Loves the contest and the challenge, Gives away few free kicks these days. I reckon he gets a lot of attention from opposition players these days. He has been bruised and battered in some games. He'll be glad of the break.

cracks under pressure and constantly fumbles.
I agree he used to be like that, has improved his game IMO.
Might be worth watching a few replays of his games this season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aishole

Premiership Player
Oct 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Probably the one player I dislike, cracks under pressure and constantly fumbles.

If he is trying to develop his tank after 5 years in the system, then FMD!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
When are you gonna give up this Anti-Maynard campaign and accept that he is an integral part of our team, and has many efficiencies in his game.

You focus on 2-4 mistakes a game and claim he is ‘horribly out of form’ (previous post iirc). How about his other 10-15 good things he does?

He has made substantial improvement over the last 1-2 years. He is still 22. He WILL continue to make mistakes as he matures.

HELL he will even make mistakes when he is 28 and is his prime. Thats footy.

He is not out of form. You are the only person that thinks he is, and that should be a wake up call for you.

Aishole

Premiership Player
Oct 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Probably the one player I dislike, cracks under pressure and constantly fumbles.

If he is trying to develop his tank after 5 years in the system, then FMD!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Also, just to add to what i’ve previously said. Are there any players you actually LIKE?

If there is, you sure as hell don’t spend anywhere near as much time on here praising them as you do bagging Maynard, Phillips and co.

Are you even a collingwood fan?

Aishole

Premiership Player
Oct 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
He is the kind of player that when he plays ‘poorly’ for a few weeks, he’ll have a lot of posters coming and bumping this thread.

So, i feel like its important to mention Bruzzy has been immense the last few weeks. Such confidence out there, big body, deadly left boot, ruthless in 1on1’s.

Seemed to be a go-to option for us out of defence on the weekend. More so in the first half.

Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Remember a game against the bulldogs in 2017 (possibly round 1) when this pies fan kept bagging the crap out of him, was looking around to see if others were laughing with him etc... you know like it was a cool thing to do to say what a hack Maynard was. Anyways, never understood the dislike a lot of fans had for him, very good player.

Aishole

Premiership Player
Oct 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Remember a game against the bulldogs in 2017 (possibly round 1) when this pies fan kept bagging the crap out of him, was looking around to see if others were laughing with him etc... you know like it was a cool thing to do to say what a hack Maynard was. Anyways, never understood the dislike a lot of fans had for him, very good player.
I don’t understand it either. He has to be one of my favorites. Build like a brick s**t house, hard nut, but also has some toe and has an elite left peg when he is on. I feel like we are only scratching the surface, has the attributes and potential to be AA back pocket easily.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back