Brisbane Car Fire Deaths

Remove this Banner Ad

Anja_Nees

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 14, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Absolutely horrific and unforgivable act.
It sounds like he had some deeper issues that were never (or unsuccessfully) treated.

We can’t bring the family back but what lessons can be learnt from this atrocity?
Spoke to my wife (a shrink who deals with some of these types) about it. Obviously not a huge amount is known about this guy but made a pretty interesting point - don’t ignore the way it was done. The way they kill themselves/others is usually telling.

The rage and contempt he was feeling was probably at a level that is almost unimaginable to your average Joe so he was probably a raging narcissist, a term that gets bandied about a lot these days but isn’t always that well understood.

If that’s the case, he’s one of a class of people which is the least likely to seek help and the least likely to benefit from it anyway. Admitting any failing is impossible, and his deep seated problems would have started when he was young.

It’s not a matter of other men ‘calling out’ his behaviour. Best you can do is get the wife away and lock him up if he tries anything.

Kurve

Dec 27, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I think she might lose her Order of Australia.

Mr Smith
(Liberal MP) claimed Ms Arndt's comments had "brought disrepute on the Order" and as a result, the award should be cancelled.

He said her views "seek to make excuses for extreme violence".

"I deeply regret involving the Order of Australia in controversy [as] our honour system has been designed over the decades to be above rancour, but in this instance, I do believe a line has been crossed."

Johnny Bananas

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 10, 2010
A sugar refinery
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

This same story nearly happened in 2017 to a different woman, and Queensland Police simply didn't give a sh*t back then. This force is riddled with troglodytes from top to bottom, and they can't be trusted to prevent crimes like the guy setting his wife and kids on fire, because clearly they think it's just a bit of a giggle, nothing to see here.

Power Raid

TheBrownDog
Oct 15, 2004
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

This same story nearly happened in 2017 to a different woman, and Queensland Police simply didn't give a sh*t back then. This force is riddled with troglodytes from top to bottom, and they can't be trusted to prevent crimes like the guy setting his wife and kids on fire, because clearly they think it's just a bit of a giggle, nothing to see here.
It is a no win situation.

1) government agencies like the cops are embarrassingly hopeless
2) even if they weren't hopeless, they don't have the power to act in most cases
3) family issues are complex and both parties have their own version of the truth. Meaning family courts and supporting agencies take a softly softly approach unless their is extreme circumstances ad evidence

I take the view in the case there is a break up of the family (for any reason), the kids go with the mum 100% of the time for 100% of the time. None of this tumultuous joint custody, living under two roofs and two rules..........unless the mother offers it to the husband.

Stability for kids is more important than the needs of a parent to see their kids.

In the case of neglect of children, then the father has the right to prosecute his case to the courts to overall the mother's custody and gain 100% custody himself.

This policy might also assist DV situations, create the clean break required.

Present Not Past

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Cubs
Pauline Hanson trying to normalise this dreadful attack by saying "Men do this".
Utter sh*te - Pauline, not her comments.
Her comments are what I expect from a moron like Pauline.
Can you imagine her outry if the man was Middle Eastern?
Deport, deport, deport - we're under attack from terrorists.

sprockets

Premiership Player
Oct 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond

Stability for kids is more important than the needs of a parent to see their kids.

100% correct, the kids are all that matter. Unfortunately many parents in these situations don't see it that way. 'Kid sharing' can be used to placate someone who might do something bad if he/she is denied access.

Kurve

Dec 27, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
A good show in the Senate. The only to oppose were Pauline Hanson and Malcolm Roberts.

Bipartisan support for Bettina Arndt to be stripped of OAM after Hannah Clarke comments

ABSOLUTE MADMAN

Club Legend
Nov 8, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I think men already have enough worries coming forward when they think they have mental health issues.
Linking behaviour like this with men's mental health doesn't help.
Men with mental health problems do not behave like this.
On the flip side men without mental health problems do not light their biological kids on fire then stab themselves to death.

Captain Morgan

Club Legend
Feb 3, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
It is a no win situation.

1) government agencies like the cops are embarrassingly hopeless
2) even if they weren't hopeless, they don't have the power to act in most cases
3) family issues are complex and both parties have their own version of the truth. Meaning family courts and supporting agencies take a softly softly approach unless their is extreme circumstances ad evidence

I take the view in the case there is a break up of the family (for any reason), the kids go with the mum 100% of the time for 100% of the time. None of this tumultuous joint custody, living under two roofs and two rules..........unless the mother offers it to the husband.

In the case of neglect of children, then the father has the right to prosecute his case to the courts to overall the mother's custody and gain 100% custody himself.

This policy might also assist DV situations, create the clean break required.
Family matters are too complex to adopt a simple universal rule for 100% access to him/her 100% of the time. Stability is indeed important for kids but not seeing the other parent unless one of them says so places far too much power in the hands of one parent in the middle of a separation.

I lived through this a few years ago and it sucks. Whenever the topic of kids come up in a separation it’s highly emotional and it doesn’t take much to get extremely angry as a result of the fear and anxiety both parties are going through. I would do anything for the kids, and so would she. The hard part is letting go of what you want to try and find a compromise.

What helps kids more than anything else is seeing both parents talk to each other, not scream and argue in front of the kids and both be ‘parents’ despite living under two different roofs.

That said, in my own experience I would have no hesitation spending all my savings and then some, to secure fair access to the kids. As for hurting them to spite the ex ? No way. Not ever. That sh*t is mental.

Remove this Banner Ad