Brisbane needs help

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a risk, same as Fremantle with Jeff White, s**t happens, Brisbane needs to stop being martyrs, all teams go through rough patches.
It is jolly easy to say that when half Freo's list are locals. The location allowance that Brisbane (and Sydney) used to receive before Eddie kicked up a stink was available to any club with less than 40% local players on their list. Why didn't clubs then rush out to recruit interstate players if they felt it was such an advantage?

Brisbane are suffering the same as other clubs that were in a rebuild phase during the expansion teams so they lost out on some good talent. However Brisbane suffered worse as the expansion team was set up down the road from them luring fans away as well as players. No doubt if they had better admin they would've mitigated that somewhat like Sydney did but plenty of clubs have suffered through bad management and needed afl support just like Brisbane will (rightfully) receive. The afl model of having 2 teams in each major state I reckon is the right way to go, they just need to wait 20 odd years of the kids to grow up and support afl which is why 85% of afl spend goes to school and kids program's.

It is jolly easy to say that when half Freo's list are locals. The location allowance that Brisbane (and Sydney) used to receive before Eddie kicked up a stink was available to any club with less than 40% local players on their list. Why didn't clubs then rush out to recruit interstate players if they felt it was such an advantage?

Easy to say when you haven't won a premiership? How has having half a list of locals helped us?

21 of our 40 senior players are interstate recruits.

He used Des Headland as an example of a player who left even when Brisbane had a good culture, it was a bad example. Headland didn't hide the fact that he didn't want to be drafted out of WA, he was always going to go back home. He even wore a Fremantle polo on draft day.

Funny though, Freo currently has a Qld player on our list, Lee Spurr. Playing his 50th game this weekend. Drafted as a 24 year old, had to move to SA to get his chance.

Simon Black didn't want to leave Perth maybe we shouldn't have drafted him.

One player, one player who was always a risk of going. It was a bad example.

What? Are you saying that there is only one player that has cleared off due to "homesickness"? What part did you not notice that out of the 5 boys who cleared out last that "homesickness" was the majority reason. * me one of the poor petals had his mum sending moussaka up on a weekly basis because, you know, Brisbane is in the middle of Siberia and the telephone?!!! well the party line are hard to handle and god forbid a 2 hour flight to Melbourne:rolleyes:. Even now the rumours are that one of our players has his Mummy gobbing off to all and sundry that the poor little cherub will be home after another year of the gulag that is Brisbane.

FWIW I think we are a very lucky code of football with its astonishingly insular outlook. As I have said to many on the Lions board the boys who claim homesick are lucky they can not be transferred to a club of not their choice because to be brutal they deserve a transfer to Scampaignerhorpe United. Soft utensils the lot of them.

What? Are you saying that there is only one player that has cleared off due to "homesickness"?

Nope, I was replying to a post that used Des Headland as a player who wanted to leave during the height of Brisbane's success. I was just saying he was a bad example.

Simon Black didn't want to leave Perth maybe we shouldn't have drafted him.

:rolleyes: See my point above.

What? Are you saying that there is only one player that has cleared off due to "homesickness"? What part did you not notice that out of the 5 boys who cleared out last that "homesickness" was the majority reason. **** me one of the poor petals had his mum sending moussaka up on a weekly basis because, you know, Brisbane is in the middle of Siberia and the telephone?!!! well the party line are hard to handle and god forbid a 2 hour flight to Melbourne:rolleyes:. Even now the rumours are that one of our players has his Mummy gobbing off to all and sundry that the poor little cherub will be home after another year of the gulag that is Brisbane.

FWIW I think we are a very lucky code of football with its astonishingly insular outlook. As I have said to many on the Lions board the boys who claim homesick are lucky they can not be transferred to a club of not their choice because to be brutal they deserve a transfer to Scampaignerhorpe United. Soft utensils the lot of them.
I think the club did a good job of justifying such a mass exodus of young players as homesickness pretty well and the media ran with it. My understanding is that a lot of players ( playing in the 2's) had had enough of not getting communication on what they specifically needed to do to get a game and when it came to a head during a meeting with the player managers it was revealed that voss rathered a rebuild through recruiting experienced players. And that, not his win/loss record was the reason they got rid of him in favour of a total build from the ground up, like hawthorn did and st kilda are doing. Unfortunately the players had already made their minds up to leave.

Sorry for the delayed reply.

Understand why you are angry about it, but if you read through what else I've posted I'm not actually against the academy idea. What I am against is things which systematically favour some clubs over other clubs. And the problem that you (as Sydney) have, is that people down here are so sick of the rorting and favouritism that has gone on up north, that legitimate things are being targeted. People have suggested a retention allowance and other money in the cap which will disadvantage every other club, so I'm trying to tinker around the edges with suggestions that don't ruin what has been in place, but makes it more palatable for other clubs.

I actually agree, that these academies are a good thing to develop the kids in the northern states (as I've stated elsewhere). But in the olden days, the Victorian clubs had access to zones and these were removed, giving all clubs access to these kids. Now what the other clubs see are certain clubs with zone access, extra money in the cap, priority access to certain players, the first 200 picks in the draft and so on and so on. There are artificial constraints in the system you have used to stay at or towards the top for far longer than the system is designed to allow. And these artificial constraints are coming under scrutiny.

Given that some clubs are putting cash into an equalisation fund, these clubs are now looking around and saying - if we are doing this, we want ALL things to be equal (well the things that suit them) - and they are not. They are looking at a club (Swans) getting access to a player (Heeney ?) that some experts state could be the most complete player, let alone midfielder in the draft this year. And they are saying, if he lived anywhere else, it would be a random selection, not just a gimme for Sydney. And that's not fair.

The academy systems have been set up largely with AFL money, as all the activities into NSW and QLD have been. And the clubs are stating - we own an 18th of that development, not nothing - which is what most of them get.

From my perspective, I don't see the value in having two separate academy systems in each state. One system, in multiple locations and a pooling of the resources. Because sharing the resources between yourselves and GWS will be infinitely better than what WILL happen to the system, if you continue to resist. People like Eddie get what they want, eventually. So over to you, do you want to lose 100% of the benefit you have tried to create, or just some of it...

I actually DON'T CARE if the academies go, i just don't want my club putting in around one million dollars a year along our coaches and players focusing on developing them, if we get no benefit for it.

I'm more then happy to have the AFL step back in and make a complete cluster * of the NSW zone like they did for the 8 years before we stepped in and setup and started running the academies, Equality in the AFL means one thing and one thing only fat eddie and co.

Take for example this "Rorting" myth that is now a staple, Simple fact is the cola is distributed by the AFL it is 9.8% of the salary cap not individual contracts and is divided evenly among the playing group........ this has been a consistent answer from the swans for years, even most recently when ireland explained that this Franklin and Tippett's combined cut of the cola 40K. now when you do the math it lines up within i think its 2K of the exact figure that it should be.

But instead of people taking this as confirmation that we aren't rorting anything, that in fact the club has been consistent time and time again on this issue, as always it falls on deaf ears. This is because of mouthpieces like eddie constantly spouting lies which people cling to because it's footy and things are tribal. I don't blame people i'm just as tribal I believe Essendon are drug cheats, that fat ed uses his influence to * every other club, etc, etc.

So yes i'm angry about the attacks on the academy because i know the lies being told will catch on. This is also why i don't except the compromise, as long as my club is funding it, Not just with our money but with our people you can all get in line. I'd sooner see the academies fold then have the likes of collingwood prey on our hard work. $1 million dollars may be easy money for clubs such as west coast and collingwood, but for a club who's last profit was $646,745 that's a ton of money. Now you can debate wether we would have raised that million if we didn't have the academy all you want. Fact remains it's our money and people we are pouring into developing the area for EVERY CLUB. One pick a year is not too much to ask in return.

I am just happy that the AFL supports Hawthorn's cosy deal with Tasmania, I am glad that the AFL utilised 3.045 million from the future fund to assist North Melbourne in 2013, I am also over the moon that they got an additional 2.9 million in 2012 and 1.4 million in 2011.

I am really looking forward to some of Carlton's "profits" being redistributed towards North Melbourne. What makes me extremely happy is seeing Brisbane also getting AFL (and hopefully Carlton can assist here too via "equalisation" measures) more funding.

As long as Carlton can assist Port Adelaide as well (even though they got an extra 7 million from the AFL than what Carlton got), I will be happy. There is a lot to be happy about right now. Hopefully Collingwood and Hawthorn don't have to contribute much as they are "power clubs"...in fact, Carlton and the AFL should contribute more to not only Port, North Melbourne and Brisbane, but also Melbourne. I hope some of Carlton's "profits" are redistrubted towards Melbourne too. That would give me even more happiness.

In fact, Carlton should be doing more to ensure Brisbane & Port supporters don't know what it is like to be down the bottom of the ladder year after year. That is a priority right now for Carlton.

Take for example this "Rorting" myth that is now a staple, Simple fact is the cola is distributed by the AFL it is 9.8% of the salary cap not individual contracts and is divided evenly among the playing group........ this has been a consistent answer from the swans for years, even most recently when ireland explained that this Franklin and Tippett's combined cut of the cola 40K. now when you do the math it lines up within i think its 2K of the exact figure that it should be.

COLA is an additional AFL based payment of 9.8%, paid by the AFL on top of the salaries of the players. It's not administered by Sydney. If Tippett and Buddys COLA is only 40K this year, it will be significantly higher in years to come. Tippett is on 800K, Buddy over 1M over the course of his contract at the Swans. So 9.8% of 2M is well over 40K, it's closer to 200K per year. Just because Ireland has used a nice, low convenient figure for this year, doesn't justify the allowance.

I'd actually have no problem with COLA on lower paid players salaries, but that's not what it's used for. It's a surplus payment, used by Sydney to prevent players being poached and artificially inflating their period at the top of the AFL ladder. If the Dogs wanted Tippett, we'd not only have to pay 800K, plus an additional 9.8%, plus an additional payment (to get a player to move you typically have to pay a little more than they were getting). So all of a sudden, we're paying an extra 200K above what you are, to get access to the same player.

And why the * should players that have been in the competition for 5 - 8 years, get a retention allowance to stay in Sydney ??? They have chosen to move there, they shouldn't get paid extra for choosing to live in Sydney..

It's a ******* rort. Simple. But please, continue to bury your head in the sand over this issue.

Last edited:
I never understand threads like these. There's always going to be 1 or 2 s**t teams, and it's usually a different group every year. Lions had the greatest success of all, why panic when they are at the bottom for a while?

Why is homesickness such a part of our game / culture?? I cannot remember the last time an nba/nfl/ mlb player left a club because he misses his mum.

Dante exum got drafted to utah last night, I guarantee he won't leave the nba for the nbl in 2 years coz he missus his mums cooking.

Maybe if it wasn't so easy for young players to move to a club of their choice, they wouldn't miss mum so much. The problem is they love getting drafted and then when they start playing semi regular football, they don't want to play for a lowly team and jump ship as soon as their contract is up.

How can young players be allowed to name the club of their choice at the end of
Their first contract as a professional knowing that they will get to them in the psd because they've already shown that they will run out on clubs so it scares other teams from taking them.

IMO the way to go is disallow clubs being able to make any contact with young players / their management.

If a player wants to leave before he has spent a minimum of 5 years at his drafted club, he must enter the draft without talking to any club other than his own.

Of coarse if they are delisted then they can talk to whoever they want

Easy to say when you haven't won a premiership? How has having half a list of locals helped us?

21 of our 40 senior players are interstate recruits.

34 of our senior players are interstate recruits.

5 of the 6 Queenslanders on the Brisbane list are originally from the city of Gold Coast with Freeman the only one from Brisbane...those 5 would now be coming through the Suns Academy.

Merrett and Freeman are the only current Brisbane senior list players that arrived through the National Draft with Freeman the first and only,so far,to be drafted via the Lions Academy.

Beams is an upgraded Rookie.

Raines,Zorko and McGuane were recruited by trading.

The difference....19 locals from a Secondary School and a State wide district environment dominated by Australian Football (WA) or 6 locals from schools and State dominated by Rugby League in particular and many of the private schools steeped in Rugby Union (QLD)?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I never understand threads like these. There's always going to be 1 or 2 s**t teams, and it's usually a different group every year. Lions had the greatest success of all, why panic when they are at the bottom for a while?

It is a cyclical thing, but what we don't want is the situation that happened last year, with a raft of players (all predominantly young players) packing up and leaving - that creates a cycle which you cannot escape. I'm all for off-field support, like additional welfare staff etc, even if it has to be funded by the AFL, but not for concessions and salary cap rorts...

I think the reasonable Brisbane supporters are only calling for off field help, something they tried to do themselves but the AFL didn't help them last year and now the AFL pretty much have to.

Some are calling for slightly more than the academy system in terms of potential on field help but most are just stating their displeasure with inequities not really wanting much for it.

The panic is the 10mil or so they might be in debt. Combine that with poor and overpriced facilities and other issues and the club won't be able to turn around on field.

It's what happened in Melb. So badly in debt in the mid to late 2000's we had poor coaching, fitness and recruiting that even when we tried new hires they didn't work. Leppa is a decent coach. Brisbane's recruiting has been fine. But eventually a club devoid off field will struggle in some aspects of development and will see it falter on field. At Melbourne the players weren't fit and had no leadership. In Brisbane last year a group of young players saw the writing on the wall and bolted.

The help should come in the form of a competent AFL approved board. A competent CEO with the power to make the right calls. And possibly some funds like the 1.4 mil to Melbourne last year to stop the bleeding of debt and to get Brisbane back in a place they can compete.

COLA is an additional AFL based payment of 9.8%, paid by the AFL on top of the salaries of the players. It's not administered by Sydney. If Tippett and Buddys COLA is only 40K this year, it will be significantly higher in years to come. Tippett is on 800K, Buddy over 1M over the course of his contract at the Swans. So 9.8% of 2M is well over 40K, it's closer to 200K per year. Just because Ireland has used a nice, low convenient figure for this year, doesn't justify the allowance.

I'd actually have no problem with COLA on lower paid players salaries, but that's not what it's used for. It's a surplus payment, used by Sydney to prevent players being poached and artificially inflating their period at the top of the AFL ladder. If the Dogs wanted Tippett, we'd not only have to pay 800K, plus an additional 9.8%, plus an additional payment (to get a player to move you typically have to pay a little more than they were getting). So all of a sudden, we're paying an extra 200K above what you are, to get access to the same player.

And why the **** should players that have been in the competition for 5 - 8 years, get a retention allowance to stay in Sydney ??? They have chosen to move there, they shouldn't get paid extra for choosing to live in Sydney..

It's a ******* rort. Simple. But please, continue to bury your head in the sand over this issue.

As I said the lies have been repeated that often, people doggedly defend them. Reality is the big players don't come for cola and the 6k cola reduction down to 15K for those being paid up to 300K will still be enough to subsidise rents for rookies and depth players.

A few fringe players might go, because it makes a 50k boost to go to vic actually becomes 50k not 29k once you factor in cola as currently happens.

Club will still land the big names so long as we can maintain the level of professionalism we have. So I don't actually care about the changes that have occurred, I was merely pointing out that no matter how many times the club clarifies how it works... It falls on deaf ears.

As you have once again confirmed if we are paying around $400k each for tippett and Franklin this year I'd be absolutely wrapped, because it would indicate we signed them for an absolute *ton less was then what was reported.

I am just happy that the AFL supports Hawthorn's cosy deal with Tasmania, I am glad that the AFL utilised 3.045 million from the future fund to assist North Melbourne in 2013, I am also over the moon that they got an additional 2.9 million in 2012 and 1.4 million in 2011.

I am really looking forward to some of Carlton's "profits" being redistributed towards North Melbourne. What makes me extremely happy is seeing Brisbane also getting AFL (and hopefully Carlton can assist here too via "equalisation" measures) more funding.

As long as Carlton can assist Port Adelaide as well (even though they got an extra 7 million from the AFL than what Carlton got), I will be happy. There is a lot to be happy about right now. Hopefully Collingwood and Hawthorn don't have to contribute much as they are "power clubs"...in fact, Carlton and the AFL should contribute more to not only Port, North Melbourne and Brisbane, but also Melbourne. I hope some of Carlton's "profits" are redistrubted towards Melbourne too. That would give me even more happiness.

In fact, Carlton should be doing more to ensure Brisbane & Port supporters don't know what it is like to be down the bottom of the ladder year after year. That is a priority right now for Carlton.
as if carlton can talk.

So apart from Headland, who did Brisbane lose to homesickness when they were a 'successful' club?

Didn't Collingwood lose Nick Davis to homesickness at the same time?

Unsure why Sheedy is comparing trading Todd Ridley & Tony Delaney with trading Dale Thomas.

I'm unsure why one week Ed says there are too many spuds in the game.... then the next wants to close the Northern academies that will foster talent...This is a person who is fundamentally out of touch with how the football frontier works...Melbourne centric... He uses his radio talk and media to influence the millions of daily listeners/readers with his cons ....if you look further at his crap..one of the Northern teams has a father/son selection and an academy selection...and Ed cant get his hands on either..thus the call to change.

Last edited:
So apart from Headland, who did Brisbane lose to homesickness when they were a 'successful' club?

Great point. Homesickness is a convenient excuse rolled out when a player wants to leave a club that's not doing well. In Headland's case he was going to be fifth wheel in close to the best midfield the game has seen. Fremantle offered him more security as a top line player. Once he got the premiership medal, it was a no-brainer to head to another club. We've benefited from it (Gunston) as well as being on the losing end (Jarman, Allan, McPharlin).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back