Brisbane to ask for priority pick

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, because all their high draft picks leave after a few years, they want to fix the problem by having the AFL give them a high draft pick? What?

In all seriousness though, Brisbane are nowhere near bad enough for a PP. Actually a pretty promising list IMO. The compensation you get for kids wanting to go home is whatever you get in trade for them. Seems like a very strange argument, on the whole.

Well they have been around for much less time to collect data, had an expanded salary cap until this year, but still lost first rounders to their home states. Josh Caddy says hi. Gorringe wanted out. Now that their salary cap is back to parity let's see how they go.

Then you've got the Giants.... Boyd, Adams, Frost, Jaksch, O'Rourke, Tyson...
They also got the cream of Queensland talent for a few years in a row making it impossible for us to draft locals in those years. But yeah...level playing field and all that for sure.

So, because all their high draft picks leave after a few years, they want to fix the problem by having the AFL give them a high draft pick? What?

In all seriousness though, Brisbane are nowhere near bad enough for a PP. Actually a pretty promising list IMO. The compensation you get for kids wanting to go home is whatever you get in trade for them. Seems like a very strange argument, on the whole.
Right, we definitely got fair trades for Docherty, Polec and Longer didn't we. Clubs definitely came to the table when they knew the kids wanted out and to specific clubs...

The irony of some Pies and Hawks fans coming into this thread and saying things like "They don't deserve a priority pick they were already gifted 3 premierships due to handouts" is hilarious. Correct me if I am wrong but didn't both the Hawks and Pies receive priority picks in the 2005 national draft which lead to the acquisitions of future premiership stars Pendlebury/Thomas for the Pies and Buddy/Roughy for the Hawks?
Hawks got Rough (2004) and Ellis (2005), Pies got Thomas (2005).

if they lose aish they probably should get something like that. only the crows could compare to losing so many talented players in recent times. but then again if their new draft pick is gonna pack his backs for victoria the first chance he gets it's not gonna do much good...

11th 13th 10th 10th 6th 13th 15th 13th 12th 15th 18th*
14th 16th 16th 12th 13th 16th 17th 17th 15th*
14th 13th 16th 12th 9th 16th 9th 15th 15th 12th 12th

Recent records of three clubs, with Brisbane at the top. The other two received no draft assistance.

Nothing is calculated to get me angrier. A big fat **** OFF to Brisbane.
Eh? That's just false Ron...

The second line is Melbourne during the period 2007-2015.
Melbourne received a post-1st round priority pick in 2008, a pre-1st round pick in 2009 and then got two first round picks for Scully when he walked to GWS in 2011.

The third line is Richmond during the period 2002-12.
Richmond received a pre-1st round pp in 2004.

Melbourne received a post-1st round priority pick in 2008, a pre-1st round pick in 2009 and then got two first round picks for Scully when he walked to GWS in 2011.

If this is correct...****ing LOL. Ron on fire ITT.

OK so they got exactly what the rules provided for. Finish X, get Y. Kinda evens out when we're getting pick 6 in a watered-down draft for finishing second-last.

What we're talking about here is "special assistance", going cap-in-hand to the AFL and begging for an as-yet unspecified handout.

OK, so Melbourne tried it on last year. It got knocked on the head. Rightly.

Lol...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has someone hijacked this account? RTB is usually calm and insightful.

It's late and this shit keeps sticking its head up. Same responses posted to Melbourne's and Carlton's bleating.

"We're not seeking any special assistance at all. We haven't and won't. If we have a mantra between the senior people here, it is we take responsibility for the situation we are in right now. It's not about looking back, blaming people and making excuses. Once we take full responsibility, then we can take full responsibility for getting ourselves out if it."
- Brendan "worse than Fitzroy" Gale 2010

You've all had a ****in' good laugh at Richmond for 35 years. Well **** you. My club's integrity is intact.

OK so they got exactly what the rules provided for. Finish X, get Y. Kinda evens out when we're getting pick 6 in a watered-down draft for finishing second-last.

What we're talking about here is "special assistance", going cap-in-hand to the AFL and begging for an as-yet unspecified handout.

Lol. So the 'rules' are fine when Richmond did it but not Brisbane? The 'rule' now is that a PP will be awarded at the discretion of the AFL, I take it if the 'rules' determine we are eligible you will be fine with the decision? After all, those are the 'rules', right?

Docherty had a parent whom recently deceased (or was in very ill and has since passed)
Doc's father passed away AFTER the trade when he was in Arizona with Carlton - he was not ill and it was totally unexpected.

The reason why Doc left is actually very telling as to the issues that were happening @ Brisbane at the time. Given a lot of the kids drafted since have re-signed I'd say those issues have been resolved - but the senior players at the time have a lot to answer for.

Aish is a different story - he was a known flight risk before the draft. Yet, despite losing the 'go home 5' only a few weeks earlier, Brisbane still went ahead and drafted him anyway. Should've taken a kid like Cripps who said pre-draft that homesickness would never be an issue before he'd lived at boarding school away from home for years.

Last edited:
Brisbane has done itself no favours. A lot of this is because of whats happened off field. When the club ****ed over a well liked coach in voss there was a direct backlash and the club now struggles to maintain the trust of it's players.

The way the club traded for fev and put established players on the trading block without telling them. Again another reason for the players not to trust the club.

An unstable front of office and management team. Again another reason for the players not to trust the club.

The players being based in queensland not being able to get similar marketting deals to players based in victoria (WA and SA to a lesser extent). A reason for them to leave.

Players having to travel every second week. A reason to leave.

Now those are all issues which are affecting the lions and whilst some of them aren't there fault, a lot of them are and they have to live with the results of their own actions. People and clubs always seem to want priority picks. Well guess what, 99% of draftees aren't going to do one iota to change your clubs fortunes in the next 2-3 years. At all, so draft picks count for very little.

You now have an academy system in place to help develop and give priority access to local talents. Now this isn't some huge deal or amazing thing to make you ten times stronger than the rest of the comp. However it is an advantage you receive and one that over an extended period of time will provide you with benefits and an advantage over the competition. You won't see the direct benefits of it until some of those academy players are hitting the point where they are AFL ready and well developed (normally after 3-5 preseasons depending on physical maturity when drafted, size and position played).

As it stands now most of brisbanes issues are self-inflicted. Oh and if you only want to count things in relation to draft picks then you got fair compensation from the eagles. As a matter of fact clubs always get fair compensation from the eagles because it's how we operate.

There will come a time 10 years down the track when the academies are completely taken away from the NSW and Queensland clubs as they are producing too much talent and everyone else complains about how it's made these dynasties. No more knee jerk reactions and no priority picks due to mismanagement.

We finished 4th last and 3rd last in 2010 and 2011 for pick 10 (which we managed to trade up to 5 after losing two players to GC) and pick 8 in watered down drafts. We then lost both players a few years later. We never had a priority pick to kinda even things out.

Lol. So the 'rules' are fine when Richmond did it but not Brisbane? The 'rule' now is that a PP will be awarded at the discretion of the AFL, I take it if the 'rules' determine we are eligible you will be fine with the decision? After all, those are the 'rules', right?

The AFL meddles with the competition all the time and does what it ****ing well likes. No I will not be fine with any further compromises to the draft. Not I am not fine with "customised" fixtures for the top/middle/bottom six.

But go ahead and degrade yourself by asking publicly. You don't have a case.
We finished 4th last and 3rd last in 2010 and 2011 for pick 10 (which we managed to trade up to 5 after losing two players to GC) and pick 8 in watered down drafts. We then lost both players a few years later. We never had a priority pick to kinda even things out.

Just three lousy flags. Am I right?

...and managed 20 wins in the two years that followed, so your situation was hardly all that dire.

Your club chose to deem Voss' 10-win 2013 season dire enough to sack him.

The AFL meddles with the competition all the time and does what it ******* well likes. No I will not be fine with any further compromises to the draft. Not I am not fine with "customised" fixtures for the top/middle/bottom six.

But go ahead and degrade yourself by asking publicly. You don't have a case.

Just three lousy flags. Am I right?

Yeah, that was wonderful but not sure how that's relative to what's happening now?

I don't laugh at Richmond, never have.

The vast majority do. My club's barely put a foot wrong for five years and can't get a goddamn crumb from the sneering media, but drop a few games and the harbingers of doom are out in force. Cashed up and on the doorstep of the top four and can't attract the players we need because we're not taken seriously. And yes, much of it is self-inflicted by past incompetent administrations.

We've scrabbled for every ****ing foothold. Pardon me if I have zero time for those asking for a leg-up so they can go straight past us again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back