Bryce Gibbs and his personal issues

Remove this Banner Ad

If Gibbs and partner don't respect their own 'personal issues' why should Carlton. If it was an issue other than... I'd prefer to be back home...then they would have sought a deal with Port Adelaide.
Simple. No sympathy
Didn't really do your home work before your stupid post did you champ.

I don't think the pull was very strong for Gibbs to go back to SA. Seems more like a convenience thing rather than there being major issues.

Gibbs was in the top 30 players in the league according to champion data, is one of his teams most important players, is contracted for 3 more seasons, was happy enough to stay at Carlton, is in the prime of his career and 100% fit and is only 27 and has done all this carrying a weak side and a tag most weeks. He is an experienced very professional player with leadership experience. All these factors add to Gibbs' value. High quality fit player who is guaranteed to play top level football for a good number of years who has many years of contract ahead of him.

Adelaide put in the work to convince him to being open to going there and from reports gave their word that they would get a deal done. They stupidly thought they could get him for unders. You only get a player for unders if they are around 30, are injured, have been in bad form or have serious off field problems and are out of contract and Gibbs fits none of these categories.

The failed badly to put a value on Gibbs and weren't true to their word at all. Carlton proved they value Gibbs a lot higher than Adelaide.

You do not offer a late first round pick and steak knives as they did for a player with all this going for them. Carlton would have let Gibbs go for pick 13 and next years first. That's two late first round picks which is about right.

IMO the Crows have badly dropped the ball on this one. Failed to keep their word, failed to evaluate the player properly and stuffed a player, club and manager around all trade week.

Blues were fair, did things right by the book and the player in the end. Adelaide had the opportunity with a fair offer and proved just how serious they really were.

I don't think the pull was very strong for Gibbs to go back to SA. Seems more like a convenience thing rather than there being major issues.

Gibbs was in the top 30 players in the league according to champion data, is one of his teams most important players, is contracted for 3 more seasons, was happy enough to stay at Carlton, is in the prime of his career and 100% fit and is only 27 and has done all this carrying a weak side and a tag most weeks. He is an experienced very professional player with leadership experience. All these factors add to Gibbs' value. High quality fit player who is guaranteed to play top level football for a good number of years who has many years of contract ahead of him.

Adelaide put in the work to convince him to being open to going there and from reports gave their word that they would get a deal done. They stupidly thought they could get him for unders. You only get a player for unders if they are around 30, are injured, have been in bad form or have serious off field problems and are out of contract and Gibbs fits none of these categories.

The failed badly to put a value on Gibbs and weren't true to their word at all. Carlton proved they value Gibbs a lot higher than Adelaide.

You do not offer a late first round pick and steak knives as they did for a player with all this going for them. Carlton would have let Gibbs go for pick 13 and next years first. That's two late first round picks which is about right.

IMO the Crows have badly dropped the ball on this one. Failed to keep their word, failed to evaluate the player properly and stuffed a player, club and manager around all trade week.

Blues were fair, did things right by the book and the player in the end. Adelaide had the opportunity with a fair offer and proved just how serious they really were.

Some great points, and its not like Carlton were unreasonable at the trade table we managed to strike fair deals for the GWS players, for Tuohy and even managed to help Hawthorn get O'Meara in another win win trade. The professionals got it done in trade week and Adelaide stuffed it up badly.

This is patently untrue...he approached the Crows. He'll be 28 by round 1 next year, so I'd expect only 3 more years at a top-level. Pick 13 and Lyons (who's going to a damn good player) should've been enough. I guess we'll wait and see. My feeling is that Carlton have recognised their mistakes in offloading the likes of Betts and Jacobs to us, and didn't want to be perceived as poor negotiators - basically saving face.

Given that Gibbs signed his current contract prior to having the kid things change massively once you become parents, especially first time parents.

Carlton are dogs IMO. Pick 13 + Lyons was a decent offer.
Dogs? What the... ?

A "decent" offer was never going to be enough.

I'm just glad we didn't give up two first rounders. The old Crows would of caved in for sure. Remember when we gave up pick 2 and pick 18 for a 31 year old Wayne Carey? I don't wish to go back to those days.

No comparison with McCarthy - Freo was desperate, offered overs (general consensus) and there was no way Cam was going to play for GWS (please this is not a shot at GWS - that was there right to make the call on a contracted player).

Adelaide offered market value and Gibbs will front up and play at Carlton next year.....hardly Carlton's fault for saying overs or GTFO.

This is patently untrue...he approached the Crows. He'll be 28 by round 1 next year, so I'd expect only 3 more years at a top-level. Pick 13 and Lyons (who's going to a damn good player) should've been enough. I guess we'll wait and see. My feeling is that Carlton have recognised their mistakes in offloading the likes of Betts and Jacobs to us, and didn't want to be perceived as poor negotiators - basically saving face.

Mark Bickley tonight said a couple of things:
1) that Adelaide offered him a 5 year contract.
2) That as his former manager, Justin Reid knew full details of his Carlton contract and the fact it was heavily front loaded.

Why would Adelaide have to offer him a long term contract if he approached them for "personal" reasons when he still had 3 years to run on his existing contract and all they needed to do to match it.

Its highly likely that Reid and his former client were looking at making a move and thought they could get one over Carlton.

I'm just glad we didn't give up two first rounders. The old Crows would of caved in for sure. Remember when we gave up pick 2 and pick 18 for a 31 year old Wayne Carey? I don't wish to go back to those days.

13 was never getting it done though, it's not just simply the playing ability of the player - it is also financial consideration that Carlton lose space in their cap due to Bryce enjoying early cash and then re-negotiating with Adelaide a new contract.

Not fair that Carlton don't get to realise that investment in front ending his initial contract.....Adelaide should of put more on the table or just focussed elsewhere as they basically wasted the whole trade period staring SOS down.

13 was never getting it done though, it's not just simply the playing ability of the player - it is also financial consideration that Carlton lose space in their cap due to Bryce enjoying early cash and then re-negotiating with Adelaide a new contract.

Not fair that Carlton don't get to realise that investment in front ending his initial contract.....Adelaide should of put more on the table or just focussed elsewhere as they basically wasted the whole trade period staring SOS down.

Yeah we totally wasted the trade period. Plenty of people heaping s**t on Justin Reid over at the Adelaide board. (me included)

It's not so much angst over Gibbs but the fact we should have walked away and done other deals.

If you're going to sign a long term contract you must understand that you are bound to that contract.

I'd like to know if a bout of severe depression hit him and he suffers for two years, does Carlton have to pay him all that time? Just saying it would be poetic justice......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I laugh at the face of those who think Bryce doesn't want to play for Carlton when he has clearly stated many times that he wished to be a one-club player.

The reason behind the trade request was to help satisfy his partner and move closer to family. Gibbs expresses no ill-will towards the club because a trade hasn't been reached. And I'm sure he knew that it wasn't going to be easy to get what he requested for given the significant contract he is currently under.

Adelaide simply had to be desperate for a midfielder to assist them in taking a step closer to the next flag (whether it was Gibbs or somebody else). But they were too busy thinking about what he was actually worth compared to what the blues were after. Carlton and SOS held all the cards, and had every right to ask for more than the realistic amount.

SOS is the epitome of a smart list manager, who is trying to turn Carlton the other way after being pushovers in the trade period for quite sometime. Did Adelaide honestly think they could give an undesirable deal for a player who is a former number one pick, has 3 years left of his 5-year contract and is at the peak of his game? The crows were trying to turn Carlton's dangerously shallow midfield into something much thinner. There are plenty more deficiencies at the blues to address, so getting a deal without many risks was always the right thing to do.

Crows supporters can get salty all they like, and come up with excuses to put the blues at fault here, but Gibbs was not just going to simply walk to them. And this idea of him not going to be at his best now that he is still at Carlton is RUBBISH. He loves the club and wants them to do well in anyway possible. He is a professional footballer who has had talks with the club and understands where they are coming from. It's not like the club refused to put him on the table altogether.

Face the facts that asking for overs was necessary. Gibbs is WAY Bigger loss to Carlton than anything Adelaide would've given up to get him.

can't see the port salary cap issues being an issue. Carlton is a salary dump yard right now, they'd have sorted that out.

and the family not liking Port cos it's yucky outweighing his personal issues probably speak to how BS the personal issues sounded. If they're not BS though, i'm sure something can be arranged that sees him honouring his contract

Wasn't the noise at the start of this whole thing that he didn't mind staying at Carlton if a deal couldn't be done?

Agree and it was more a " Put the feelers " out type of thing and if an appropriate deal can be done i am happy to go home but if it can't no dramas and i stay and honor my contract. There is never any harm in asking as long as we were going to be fairly compensated considering what we were losing as Bryces so called " market " value according to the Crows was never getting us to trade him out. You need to pay overs to take another clubs 200+ game star while under contract and in the prime of his career who has a fantastic durability record.

The way the Crows broke the news you could of sworn Bryce was already signed sealed and delivered just on the assumption that " If a player wants to leave they get to their destination " ........... Well we know how that worked out now don't we and the way the Crows announced it reaked of arrogance.

This was a win IMO for more than just us and the players have to much power now screwing clubs over and the AFLPA have been given an inch and taken 2 kilometers.

To the posters unhappy with us try to put the shoe on your own foot and imagine one of your own best players and guns doing the exact same thing and i bet you would also be happy that your own club held their ground.

You could have given up 3 first rounders but you still wouldn't have got him the reason 2 words Eddie Betts Carlton aren't gonna be embarrassed by Gibbs like they are with Betts.

You could have given up 3 first rounders but you still wouldn't have got him the reason 2 words Eddie Betts Carlton aren't gonna be embarrassed by Gibbs like they are with Betts.

This point of view has merit but it was not under SOS's watch and more a Malthouse * up.

Had SOS been with us then i doubt Eddie goes anywhere but it it is all history now, Jacobs as well still leaves a sour taste in our mouths and no way were the Crows poaching Gibbs for plain market value and the deal they had to offer would of have to have been massive overs and rightly so.

Getting SOS back to our club to manage and take control of our list is the best thing the club has done for decades, Andy McKay should also not be ignored and i am rapt currently with our club in regards to the behind the scenes antics/ round table / War room!

Carlton have been embarrassed by Gibbs for years.

You may know something I don't then. 3 more years is so valuable to you guys because that's how long your window appears to be open, Sloan and Walker are 26, Betts 29, Thompson 33, Jenkins 27, Jacobs 28, the list goes on. Gibbs fits your age profile really well. Crows are a side who are up there but need to do something special to take that last big leap. I think if you just miss the top 4 or make a prelim and don't win the flag there will be a lot of debate over whether Gibbs would have been the difference. This years pick and the next will have an influence on your club in 3 years time when the mentioned names are running out of gas or retired. Gibbs would have an influence from the word go. Question will remain, are Adelaide going to have a crack at a flag, rebuild or just sit on their hands and hope for a miracle, that some youngsters will step up out of the reserves and take them to a premiership. The Dogs don't win a flag without Boyd which was a massive sacrifice and I struggle to see how Adelaide take the next big step. Coming from a guy who supports a club who once finished 5 and couldn't top off the list to go the next step, I know.

Bryce Gibbs will play at least 100 more games and 3 more years at the top level is plenty of time for Adelaide to achieve what all clubs want, a Premiership because at the end of 3 years a lof of your main players will be 30+.

We didn't rate Lyons, you guys don't get to chose who we take/rate. You don't walk into a restaurant and be told what your eating by the chief. In this situation we were the customer, we chose what we want and you guys didn't seem to get that.

As i said, a late first rounder and a player we don't rate doesn't cut it. We wanted two first round picks which just happened to be late first round picks, the 2017 first rounder probably particularly late once you got Gibbs. Probably picks 13 and 15-17, maybe higher. I reckon most clubs would do that. Hawks don't seem to care much about having first round picks and neither do Geelong. They Just go on winning flags and finishing in the top 4 while Clubs like Adelaide miss out, get pumped in finals and stress about a couple of late first rounders.

If you can get a guy like Gibbs for cheap then you do but when you can't you pay up. You've got 3-4 years to win the flag, we can keeps Gibbs here all of that time, your close but you need to do something special, picks 13 and 2017 1st wont help this era of players get the job done.

There's more to this than Gibbs' age, his value to you, us, what he brings and where he is at raise it significantly.

Adelaide are in no situation to tell Carlton what they are having for lunch, it's our choice, you need to impress us.

Last edited:
Pick 13 and Lyons is the bottom value for Gibbs. We wanted two first rounders which would have been late first rounders. We weren't asking for two picks inside the top 10, both picks were outside.

You get a player for bottom value when

Player has off field problems/issues and needs to go (mental or behavioral)
Player has a serious injury
Player has had a sustained drop in form
Player has personality traits that are concerning
Player is out of contract
Player is not valued at his club

A Players value increases when

Player is 27 years or under
Player demonstrates good form
Player is fit, healthy and passes a medical test and doesn't have a long history of injuries
Value increases for every year under contract
Player has leadership qualities on and off the field
Player is highly valued by his club

Bryce Gibbs Facts

Ranked 24th best player in the AFL by Champion Data
Vice Captain of Carlton
Av 27 Disposals, .8 goals per game, 5.2 tackles in a weak side getting tagged every week and not rotated/managed enough.
Former best and fairest.
Top 3 players at Carlton

Gibbs ticks all the boxes to increase in value and none of the ones to decrease. He was not strong on leaving. Losing Gibbs would have caused significant short term damage that could equal long term damage. He's valuable to our rebuild. Crows can not force us to sell.

As I said, Hawks and Cats happy to travel without round one picks for a while, they operate pretty well from what I have seen, some clubs take the next step, others done. Dogs sure made a few sacrifices to get there with the players they lose and the whole Boyd thing.

Adelaide did not evaluate Gibbs well. Wouldn't want them selling your house, just give it away.

No guarantees pick 13 will get anywhere near the level of Gibbs. Held their ground and rightly so.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back