Bryce Gibbs and his personal issues

Remove this Banner Ad

He could always retire from footy and find a job requiring less commitment which would give him more time at home supporting his wife and child.

Sure his salary may take a hit, but it's no different to the choice many parents make to have more quality time with family.

May take a hit? Where's a guy with no tertiary education and no previous work experience apart from playing football going to find a job that pays anywhere near his current salary at Carlton?

On behalf of the competition, thank you Carlton.
Sick and tired of people bitching out of contracts that they signed, he's realised that the blues won't win a premiership in the next three years, and is having a fit about it. Don't sign, if you're not committed.

I bet the people who are having a go at the bloke for wanting to come back home are some of the softest people IRL. I'd love for you to say that to his face and watch your teeth get knocked out.

Oh well, don't sign a 5 year contract then and start a family months later. Or nominate Port Adelaide as well.

Last edited:
the crows got a fair deal for dangerfield
Not sure how that's relevant but nice attempt at trolling.

Adelaide got the best deal they could under the circumstances, it wasn't 'market value' but he was out of contract and a free agent so our bargaining power was minimal. Gibbs being in contract meant Carlton had the right to ask whatever they liked, that doesn't mean what they were asking was realistic but they held all the cards.

May take a hit? Where's a guy with no tertiary education and no previous work experience apart from playing football going to find a job that pays anywhere near his current salary at Carlton?
I guess you're right. If he's not prepared to make that financial sacrifice to gain more family time and live where he wants, I spose he has no other option but to suck it up and see out his 500k + a year contract for the next 3 years with Carlton.

Not sure how that's relevant but nice attempt at trolling.

Adelaide got the best deal they could under the circumstances, it wasn't 'market value' but he was out of contract and a free agent so our bargaining power was minimal. Gibbs being in contract meant Carlton had the right to ask whatever they liked, that doesn't mean what they were asking was realistic but they held all the cards.
The bottom line, due to circumstance the crows got a fair deal for dangerfeild, the crows didn't offer a fair deal for Gibbs.

I guess you're right. If he's not prepared to make that financial sacrifice to gain more family time and live where he wants, I spose he has no other option but to suck it up and see out his 500k + a year contract for the next 3 years with Carlton.

Carlton did absolutely the right thing in my opinion for what its worth. I'm sure his wife/partner and him discussed their current lifestyle and circumstances before they had a kid and how they might change. If he was playing football in Perth I could kinda see how he would want to be closer to their respective families in Adelaide, they are an hour's flight away so given the wicket he is on, I think most people would find it hard to make that sacrifice.

Reality is that plenty of people with a full tertiary education and a decade of work experience probably have no hope of ever earning anywhere near what even an average AFL player earns annually.

We place so much emphasis on education and qualifications in the job market, yet many of the country's highest domestic-based earners are for all intents and purposes overgrown school children kicking a ball around for our enjoyment.

It's a bizarre world we live in.

Reality is that plenty of people with a full tertiary education and a decade of work experience probably have no hope of ever earning anywhere near what even an average AFL player earns annually.

We place so much emphasis on education and qualifications in the job market, yet many of the country's highest domestic-based earners are for all intents and purposes overgrown school children kicking a ball around for our enjoyment.

It's worse in America as well. There are guys getting signed to the NBA straight out of High School on contracts with more 000s than I'll ever make in my life for the first few years of their career.

I'm guessing you don't have kids? Because if you did, and were actually a decent parent, you would realize how important family support can be.
Don't sign a 5 year front ended contract then. Maybe all contracts should be 2 years max. Don't feel sorry for him, good on the Blues and everyone knows how much I hate them

For Gibbs' situation specifically, did he and his wife take into account that he'd probably be away from home more if he was playing for the Crows? Yeah, they'd be closer to family, but he'd be flying out of Adelaide every second week playing for the Crows rather than 5-6 times a year at most playing for Carlton. Might result in the grandparents seeing the kid more, but I doubt Bryce himself would actually get to spend any more time with his child or his parents living at home.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree, but football players deserve every cent (and probably more) that they earn, no qualms about that. If 40,000 people were willing to pay to watch me type in my cramped cubicle I'd expect big coin too :cool:

It's worse in America as well. There are guys getting signed to the NBA straight out of High School on contracts with more 000s than I'll ever make in my life for the first few years of their career.

And many of them are starting off from far poorer and more difficult circumstances than most AFL footballers as well, and rightly or wrongly have the hopes and dreams of nearly everyone they met in their life before fame hanging on their shoulders or coming out of the woodwork for a handout as well. AFL players live a pretty charmed existence, even by the standards of pro athletes.

Last edited:
Gibbs made his own bed and needs to lie in it.

The balance needed to be righted; someone doing what he wanted to do and leaving with three whole years remaining on a contract opens that can of worms ever wider.

However, I don't think it's really appropriate that anyone pass judgement on whatever his wife's view was either. She has that right.

I agree, but football players deserve every cent (and probably more) that they earn, no qualms about that. If 40,000 people were willing to pay to watch me type in my cramped cubicle I'd expect big coin too :cool:

Maybe what we value as a society is the problem. Obviously there's an industry that surrounds it, but footy doesn't make the day-to-day world function. Depending on what you do, your cubicle job might. Can't really justify the AFL salaries without the idol worship and fan interest. Yeah, it's entertainment and it's entertaining, but the world still turns without it. In reality, the night fill kid at the supermarket or the bloke behind the counter at the servo probably play a more direct role in the day-to-day function and ease of your life than a footy player does.

Last edited:
Was anything else offered?

Surely Lyons, pick 13 and a 3rd rounder been sufficient. Maybe an exchange of later picks.

Or pick 13 and a 2nd rounder this year or next, even with an exchange of later picks again. Could have been a real win/win trade that benefits both teams.

Just a weird one, he's a quality player but Carlton could have also put them selves in a good draft position for there next premiership tip.

Given Carlton front loaded his contract maybe Adelaide could pay Cripps' contract for a couple of years.

I don't think the pull was very strong for Gibbs to go back to SA. Seems more like a convenience thing rather than there being major issues.

Gibbs was in the top 30 players in the league according to champion data, is one of his teams most important players, is contracted for 3 more seasons, was happy enough to stay at Carlton, is in the prime of his career and 100% fit and is only 27 and has done all this carrying a weak side and a tag most weeks. He is an experienced very professional player with leadership experience. All these factors add to Gibbs' value. High quality fit player who is guaranteed to play top level football for a good number of years who has many years of contract ahead of him.

Adelaide put in the work to convince him to being open to going there and from reports gave their word that they would get a deal done. They stupidly thought they could get him for unders. You only get a player for unders if they are around 30, are injured, have been in bad form or have serious off field problems and are out of contract and Gibbs fits none of these categories.

The failed badly to put a value on Gibbs and weren't true to their word at all. Carlton proved they value Gibbs a lot higher than Adelaide.

You do not offer a late first round pick and steak knives as they did for a player with all this going for them. Carlton would have let Gibbs go for pick 13 and next years first. That's two late first round picks which is about right.

IMO the Crows have badly dropped the ball on this one. Failed to keep their word, failed to evaluate the player properly and stuffed a player, club and manager around all trade week.

Blues were fair, did things right by the book and the player in the end. Adelaide had the opportunity with a fair offer and proved just how serious they really were.

Yeh, you've just manufactured paragraph 2 there haven't you. The rest is just pure garbage based on that flawed belief. Gibbs came to us, we couldn't and didn't promise to get the deal done, we did what we'd said we'd do, which was to negotiate in good faith with Carlton. You wanted overs, we were only prepared to pay fair value, both clubs stood firm. There's no reason for you to try and make it sound like you have intricate knowledge of the timing and content of conversations between Adelaide, Gibbs and his agent. Obviously you don't, but if believing the rubbish you posted helps you sleep at night, then good for you. Let's face it, you're a Carlton supporter, so you don't get any real chances to take the high ground. So creating your fantasy isn't really unexpected.

Yeh, you've just manufactured paragraph 2 there haven't you. The rest is just pure garbage based on that flawed belief. Gibbs came to us, we couldn't and didn't promise to get the deal done, we did what we'd said we'd do, which was to negotiate in good faith with Carlton. You wanted overs, we were only prepared to pay fair value, both clubs stood firm. There's no reason for you to try and make it sound like you have intricate knowledge of the timing and content of conversations between Adelaide, Gibbs and his agent. Obviously you don't, but if believing the rubbish you posted helps you sleep at night, then good for you. Let's face it, you're a Carlton supporter, so you don't get any real chances to take the high ground. So creating your fantasy isn't really unexpected.

No, do some research before making statements like that. I did. Crows had their chance and chose not to take it. Again do some research on big name player trades, our demands weren't out of the ordinary in any extent or too far fetched.

We had every right to tell Adelaide to get stuffed and not entertain any trade at all. Did the right thing and offered a good deal for both parties. Your mob tried to undercut us so we did what was within our rights.

Had your chance, ball was put in your court and you failed.

Again do some research, if you took Gibbs it wouldn't be unusual at all in comparison to how other clubs have been trading first round draft picks in recent history.

Complete lack of understanding of the market place and value of the player.

Your argument is factless and hypocritical in regards to making stuff up.

In an ideal world everyone would work where their family is.
It just doesn't happen with life, lots have to go live overseas to earn the big bucks.
efa. seriously so many people have to work intercity, interstate or even international. gibbs can ead. like anyone in society, if he cant do the job he wants in the place he wants he has to quit and get another job, or stfu and deal with it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back