Can St Kilda take out Geelong/Hawthorn in the second round?

Remove this Banner Ad

Mosca

Senior List
Aug 24, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
No disrespect to Sydney fans, i think you've had a good season and are a worthy Finals team. I just can't see you getting past the Saints next week, especially playing in Melbourne.

Anyway, lets say Saints win round one, where to from there? Can they beat Geelong or Hawthorn and who do they match up better with? Boring style or not, St KIlda are still a well oiled machine with plenty of finals experience. Definitely a team capable of making noise in the finals.

Saints will have to work pretty hard to beat Sydney. Sydney are an odd team, one week they'll get smashed by Richmond, then they'll beat Geelong at Skilled. When Sydney get on a roll they are very hard to stop, would be better for the finals though if the Saints won and played Hawthorn in Week 2. That's a 50-50 game. If they are going to beat the top four teams they need Riewoldt at his best. Would be a great story if they won the flag thats for sure.

Why is there no "They'll get thumped by both" option?

Saints form has been massively overrated. Performing not that well but well enough to win against poor sides, and getting beaten by good sides except a Carlton team that couldn't give a stuff. No Hayes, a half fit Riewoldt, no chance. May beat Sydney, but if they do they'll get belted in the Semi.

Why is there no "They'll get thumped by both" option?

Saints form has been massively overrated. Performing not that well but well enough to win against poor sides, and getting beaten by good sides except a Carlton team that couldn't give a stuff. No Hayes, a half fit Riewoldt, no chance. May beat Sydney, but if they do they'll get belted in the Semi.

We had a hard draw, we've earned 6th position and if we gel properly i reckon we can push Geelong/Hawthorn.

Its our efficiency going inside 50 that is our main downfall.

As a saints fan, I'm looking to next week first.

I would like to believe we can beat Sydney, but lets face it, Carlton cost themselves the game by going hard in the first half to blow us away but couldn't nail us on the scoreboard.

had they been 7 goals up instead of 3 I wonder how resilient our comeback would have been.

Our skills are down across the board from 2 years ago.

Lol at these threads. Keep talking us down....
Agree. All the talk seems to be "Can St Kilda beat Geelong/Hawthorn, will they make a prelim, are Collingwood scared, are they the dark horse" etc. It's like St Kilda aren't playing anyone this week.

well one option is missing in the poll, 'st.kilda won't beat either'

i think the saints will win on saturday night but i can't see them getting anywhere near the cats or hawks on the MCG

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought they would tear Carlton apart with absolutely nothing to play for.

Even after losing one of the few talls carlton had left, Saints still were not convincing for team that were playing there first final.

I just dont think the Saints belong amongst the top 3 this year and I dont like there chances.

They won't even beat Sydney in my opinion. If they do, they will get smashed in the Semis. They beat up on bad sides and then can't the business done against the better sides. That's why they didn't finish Top 4.

Wow this forum is fickle, after we beat the Cats everyone was talking up our chances of reaching a prelim and how Geelong were dead in the water...

One week later, we are cannon fodder for a St Kilda team who we beat two weeks ago and just beat a Carlton team who couldn't care less by only 20 points.

Assuming they beat Sydney (which I don't think they will)....I think they will struggle to beat any of the other finals sides.

Apart from Milne, their forwards are out of form or fairly average. I would have thought that they would have come out breathing fire last night to secure that home final. They were extremely underwhelming considering Carlton's motivation for the match.

Oh and Zac Dawson has to be one of the biggest tools around

Shorter OP.

"No disrespect to Sydney, but disrespect to Sydney".

Not that most Swans would lose sleep over it, what with it being so common around this place, but most posters here really do patronize the living s**t of Sydney. Fair enough when we're getting ribbed for playing ugly at times, but it's that very dogged toughness which I thought would have helped us come September. Apparently not.

No. Impossible. There is not a chance in hell that St Kilda can win over the next two weeks. The odds are 1,000,000 to 1. They've never won anything. They've done nothing to suggest they're a good football team.

Er.... Of course, they can.

Why do people spend so much energy on talking down the chances of underdogs? People don't learn anything. Sydney can beat St Kilda this week. The Saints will probably win, but it's no certainty. Should the Saints win through to the second week, there is every chance they will knock off the loser of Geelong vs Hawthorn.

Getting over Sydney is a big task. They are in a serious vein of form.

If we do make semis I would expect we will be 40/60 vs either Hawthorn or Geelong. About what we were in the Grand Final last year. Yes we can beat them. Saints are a very finals hardened unit and they do not often lose their structure. Take out the first 8 games and our season has been as good as anyone's.

And if you selected they can't beat either then you are an idiot who does not understand football.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back