Poll. Who is currently the best player in the league?

Who is currently the best player in the league?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

They play the same role

Not exactly. Even as a midfielder rather than down back, a comfortably higher percentage of Daicos' touches are uncontested while Bont is close to 50-50 over the season. When they go forward they play a different role too, with Bont more of a marking target.

This isn't a criticism of Daicos, their size difference and physicality will always mean they play a bit differently and with Daicos' agility, the amount of time he has in traffic and foot skills they'd be crazy not to feed him as much as possible.

the blues GIF by Carlton Football Club

Mark Blicavs

Jack Sinclair currently rated the best player in the AFL. Not even on the above list.

All bias aside, I think it's a bit premature to install Nick Daicos as the number 1 player in the competition.

So based on a combination of medium term and current performance, my ranking is as follows:
1. The Bont
2. Clayton Oliver
3. Christian Petracca
4. Lachie Neale
5. Nick Daicos
6. Toby Greene
7. Jeremy Cameron
8. Charlie Curnow
9. Tom Stewart
10. Connor Rozee
11. Darcy Moore
12. Zac Butters
13. Zac Merrett
14. Jordan De Goey
15. Jordan Dawson
16. James Sicily

I think there's a bit of a gap to the rest, who are a combination of emerging stars and stars struggling to find their best form/injured - Miller, Cripps, Walsh, Steele, Rankine, Serong, Brayshaw, Anderson, etc...
I've been thinking this about Nick too, thinking people are jumping on to early

All bias aside, I think it's a bit premature to install Nick Daicos as the number 1 player in the competition.

So based on a combination of medium term and current performance, my ranking is as follows:
1. The Bont
2. Clayton Oliver
3. Christian Petracca
4. Lachie Neale
5. Nick Daicos
6. Toby Greene
7. Jeremy Cameron
8. Charlie Curnow
9. Tom Stewart
10. Connor Rozee
11. Darcy Moore
12. Zac Butters
13. Zac Merrett
14. Jordan De Goey
15. Jordan Dawson
16. James Sicily

I think there's a bit of a gap to the rest, who are a combination of emerging stars and stars struggling to find their best form/injured - Miller, Cripps, Walsh, Steele, Rankine, Serong, Brayshaw, Anderson, etc...
I think Neale is too high, he's a poor kick, Curnow is above J. Cameron this year, Oliver has been out too long and Shai Bolton is easily top 10. De Goey doesn't deserve to be there.

lol at neutrals putting Petracca over Oliver 🤣 yes Oliver has missed a lot of footy this year but that doesn't change anything. He was on track to win his 5th bnf to Petracca's 1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bont, Petracca, N Daicos, Oliver, Toby Greene, J Cameron, Gawn in that top tier.

Oliver vs Petracca debate, it's more about whether you want the inside bull who gets 30 touches or the goal kicking mid who get 25 tocuhes and kicks a goal per game.

I'd lean towards the latter.

Marcus Bontempelli, Toby Greene and Max Gawn in no particular order clearly the top 3 IMO.

Charlie Curnow. If you're drafting from scratch, the first player picked would be Charlie.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Charlie Curnow. If you're drafting from scratch, the first player picked would be Charlie.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

I agree but he's missed a lot of football with those knees of his.

Cameron's about to kick his 600th career goal and at 30 years of age, he should still have another four years left which probably sees him finish on around 800 goals and places him above Riewoldt and Hawkins as a generational forward.

lol at neutrals putting Petracca over Oliver 🤣 yes Oliver has missed a lot of footy this year but that doesn't change anything. He was on track to win his 5th bnf to Petracca's 1.
Did Christian tune your missus or something? For a Demons' supporter you have a perplexing dislike for an incredible servant of your football club.

Did Christian tune your missus or something? For a Demons' supporter you have a perplexing dislike for an incredible servant of your football club.
It would be like a West Coast supporter from 2006 talking up Cousins while denigrating Judd.

And btw, I love Oliver and Trac equally.

1. Bont
2. Petracca
3. C.Curnow
4. N.Daicos
5. Greene

Butters, Rozee, and the bolter Gulden fill the next spots in a top 10 for 2023 for me and stay there overall.

In an overall best I’d have Jez Cameron and Oliver in.

In a 2023 best I’d have Dawson & Liberatore in.

Back