Opinion Can the Hawks make finals in 2024?

Can the Hawks make finals in 2024?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

It's the offseason, there's lots to ponder.

Can Hawthorn make the jump and contend for finals in 2024?

If you can't be optimistic about your side in the off-season you're likely following an absolutely trash side, so I'm going to present the case for, in part.
I know others will present the case against, likely highlighting that we need to go passed others, that development and improvement isn't always linear, what if injuries etc.

But let's focus on what we know and what went right in 2023.

Remember when we “gutted the midfield” and "will struggle to win 3 games"? Well what actually happened was that we went from the worst clearance side in the comp to amongst the best in the course of half a season with the new group.
By the end of 2023 this new Hawthorn midfield, the youngest in the comp, averaged more Centre Clearances per game than every side in the comp, bar the top 4 finishing Power and Lions sides.

Now while we took a good third of the season to take advantage of the new midfields performances at the clearances(no doubt hindered by the loss of Lewis over that time, Gunston heading North and McEvoy retiring), according to Rob McCartney on Hawks Insiders from Round 10, Hawthorn were 9th in the comp for Quarters won. During that period Hawthorn played 9 games against the eventual finalists, knocked off the Dogs and lost to the Tigers in the final moments of the game.
We did all this with what could often be described as a makeshift or clumsy forward line, and will head into 2024 with 3 additions via trade, of which all are capable of at least 20 goals each(some might suggest that Chol and Ginnivan are more than capable of double that).

In the Fig.1 overview below you can see that despite our slow start the year these young Hawks defeated their fair share of top 8 sides, and lost as many close ones as sides that were tipped to play finals.
It's not beyond the realms that Hawthorn could've had 10 wins on the board by the end of 2023, and what makes for a strong argument that we have a good chance of rising is that we enter 2024 without trying to facilitate so much change in the most important part of the ground.

Fig.1
hawks 2023.png
(D) = draw

Remember also when “the youngsters will struggle to run out the season”? The stats below in fig.2 show that the youngsters and the side as a whole continued to push hard even against much more seasoned sides, and as I posted in the preseason thread the system with which we played with over that period is a more than fair chance to become the baseline of what our accepted output should be in 2024.
Does that mean we sit 1st in numerous CD rankings in 2024? No.
Does that mean we win the flag? No.
Does it mean we win enough games to make finals? Not necessarily.

But it does mean that while our midfield and forward half took at least 7-8 rounds to come out of the fog(and return of Lewis), we should be far more competitive from the very first bounce in 2024, and we should be more than capable of winning the majority of games against sides in the bottom 6, of which we do have quite a few, considering our 16th placed finish in 2023.

fig.2
Screenshot 2023-11-15 at 2.22.04 pm.png

In short, we could have quite easily had 10 wins in 2023, despite the rebuilding of the midfield and having Fergus Greene as our key forward for a third of the year, and with that in mind for 2024 I'd be amazed if the internal benchmark for a successful season is anything less than 10 wins with so much growth to come across the list and the additions to our forward half...certainly after my quick look at the draw I think that 10 wins is entirely achievable and that puts us right in the frame to be challenging for finals should we sneak a couple of unexpected wins early in the year.

What say you?

Nope not next year but will improve think we will be about the same bracket 10-14 but could be lower with harder draw.

But the kids get more games into them which all that matters and 2025 will be a big jump like 2007 was I think if we can fill in the holes in this seasons draft.

Theirs only one goal next year, make finals.

Day, jai are as hungry as you’ll see in players, one more year of development and everyone improving, 80% chance we make it unless injuries hit.

I hope we make finals but being a realist I just want to see some good all round improvement.

Being young we will have some brilliant games & some ordinary games

We will win a couple that we aren’t expected to win & lose a couple that we shouldn’t lose

Things need to go right. Lots of things.

I was pretty bullish based on a potential cushy draw but the latest news has quashed that.

Sent from my SM-G990E using Tapatalk

Can the Hawks make finals? Certainly! Will we? Different question entirely, however I expect plenty of posters will treat it more like "will we" than "can we".

If we stay relatively injury free, I think we could not just make finals but win some. Our midfield was making very good midfields look second rate while being headed up by a couple of 22 year olds with collectively less than 100 games of experience, so if Day and Newc continue to improve we could very well be one of the most challenging midfields to come up against. They don't even need to improve that much individually, just their ability to play together and off each other - and to read off big Ned.

The issue is if we get injuries to experienced players - we have great youthful depth but we will still have issues if guys like Sic, Lewis and Punky miss games. Our midfield will be fine regardless but the performances of our defense and offense are still reliant on the availability of too few players.

Looking at the draw more likely to be bottom 4 than make the 8.

2025 is when i expect a significant jump.
I honestly think another bottom 4 season would be terrible for us. We've not won a final since 2015, not played finals since 2018. If we go 7 years between finals appearances then we're not much better than North.

I think we have the makings of a good team.

In my opinion, making the finals depends on how long it takes for our newbies (Chol, Ginni, Mass, Harley Reid, even CJ)
to gel together and execute the game plan.

I reckon we are a 7-10 potential.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm going to say no. I still think we are one more good draft/trade period away from having filled the list with the required amount of talent.

We've got a lot of the key pieces locked away but need to add some cream.

We will need a lot of things to go right to make finals. Need to have another relatively blessed run with injuries.

Best is good enough, we proved that last yr by beating both grand finalists.
Our issue in nearly every game was the lapses and inability to stem the flow. I think in all but 2 games (port and Melbourne) we won the game on quarters or broke even

As others have said, next year might be a year too soon. Yes, our best was clearly good enough. But our worst was absolutely putrid - think games against Geelong, Port, Sydney.

Our inability to play 4 quarters was present for probably 19/23 rounds. That’s a long way off the mark from playing finals

We can for sure. I think Sicily will be in for a tough year. His second half of the year showed you just cannot afford to disrespect him, he did win us a handful of games this season. He will have someone playing back shoulder most weeks, so I’m keen to see how we counter that.

My head says we just miss the 8 though.. We need just a bit too much to go right I think

Consistency will determine if we can play finals. In 2023 the difference between our best and worst was too great but if we can consistently play at a similar level to the second half of our season, we are a chance.
However I would be more confident of doing so in 2025.

I am in the maybe camp. A lot will depend on the impact of our new recruits such as Chol, Ginnivan and Gunston and how Ward, Croc and Butler shape up in their third season. If we develop some self belief and maintain focus for four quarters, that will also make a difference. I am not ruling out finals but it may take another season to develop the maturity and confidence in our game plan to seriously challenge the top 8.

Back