Opinion Can the Hawks make finals in 2024?

Can the Hawks make finals in 2024?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Big problem this year is we have a tough start combined with the fact that we are typically slow starters.

I hope they really pick our absolute best win now teams for the first half of the year. If we are no chance of making finals Sam can go more experimental back half of the year.

Its always a bit depressing when we have a slow start and blow our chances of making finals early on IMOH.
Have a sneaky feeling we won’t be as slow this year. Not saying from round 1 btw but not “good from July onwards”

Steve Johnston taking a stab at the top 8 for this season

That’s not a crazy list …

Except for Sydney …
lucious lyon wtf GIF

I went back and had a look at our results from the last 10 games of the season. We won 3. Granted there were a couple of big scalps but I always look for patterns of form and I am not sure there was one trending upwards. Yes there were some stats that perhaps started to indicate things were clicking but the results didn't translate into more consistent performance. I was surprised it was only 3 wins but I guess the Pies and Lions wins served up a huge dose of optimism that clouded the poor performances.

So its clear there needs to be an immediate step up in quality from the start of the season if we are going to make a case to move into the 8. We keep up our 3 from 10 ratio for the first part of the season its going to be very difficult to make it. Its interesting as for mine who we have brought in immediately improves us and might be the injection that sees this jump occur now rather than relying upon natural progression of the group.

But rain hail or shine, to be in the race for the 8 we MUST bank early wins...must take our chances in games when they present themselves...
We did win 3 of 4 just before the last 10 games. I think the big difference for mine was that we were in a lot more games at the end of the year and only really got blown away 3 times. While managing to put together some really good games.

Definitely need to start the year well but this list has the potential to make finals.

Whether that happens this year or next is still unknown.

I went back and had a look at our results from the last 10 games of the season. We won 3. Granted there were a couple of big scalps but I always look for patterns of form and I am not sure there was one trending upwards. Yes there were some stats that perhaps started to indicate things were clicking but the results didn't translate into more consistent performance. I was surprised it was only 3 wins but I guess the Pies and Lions wins served up a huge dose of optimism that clouded the poor performances.

So its clear there needs to be an immediate step up in quality from the start of the season if we are going to make a case to move into the 8. We keep up our 3 from 10 ratio for the first part of the season its going to be very difficult to make it. Its interesting as for mine who we have brought in immediately improves us and might be the injection that sees this jump occur now rather than relying upon natural progression of the group.

But rain hail or shine, to be in the race for the 8 we MUST bank early wins...must take our chances in games when they present themselves...
Banking the early wins is why I voted 'maybe' in the poll for this thread. Our first five games are against the *, Demons, Cats, Pies and Suns. Have to win at least 2 of those preferably 3 to build some belief and then IMO anything is possible.

Not gonna lie, as Hawk fans we've been blessed. For most of the early to mid 2010s, I went into the season thinking we'd win the flag. from 2019 onwards, that hope and optimism dipped a bit (culminating in me expecting that we'd receive the spoon last year).

That said, this preseason feels different. Hope springs eternal and I'm pretty damn excited to see how our young team performs. Finals? Maybe - but I think we'll just miss. But either way, I think we'll have a lot of fun this year.

Banking the early wins is why I voted 'maybe' in the poll for this thread. Our first five games are against the *, Demons, Cats, Pies and Suns. Have to win at least 2 of those preferably 3 to build some belief and then IMO anything is possible.
Hit June in 1st, 5-0 you reckon?

7 wins again this year would be a good result for the Hawks. Fake wins over up-coming finalists Brisbane and Collingwood mean nothing, just look at our glory three-peat premierships and who we lost to in the lead-up to finals in those years. Teams are more interested in setting up their finals assaults than a W in many of the late home and away games. The result against fellow non-finalist Fremantle is a much better indication as to where we were at.
Hawks still have massive holes in their side.
No serious key defender, McKay was a must unfortunately. Blanck tries hard, but will never be of adequate AFL standard.
No serious key forward. Lewis is far too unreliable, Chol is on his third chance (stats of such show his chances of being any good are almost zero), and Gunston is firstly not in that category and secondly well past his fabulous best.
No serious ruckman. I'd love Reeves to be good, but he is just too slow for a game that gets 10% quicker every year. He is totally ineffective once the ball hits the ground or once he's in the forward line. Liability, and although a nice centre square tap-to-advantage, those moments are rare and do not compensate for his inadequacies elsewhere. Meek a stop-gap.
Great midfield, but missing their key cog Day for the first half of the season. Newk a beauty, Worpel and Nash great role players but not much else, and I have serious doubts on both Ward and McKenzie.
Decent small forwards, Breust awesome but at the end, Butler will be fantastic, McDonals and Moore excellent, then the jury is out on both Watson and Ginnivan, both of whom I'd expect will be starting at Box hill, perhaps Ginni the sub. Hardwick will go back by half-time in the Essendon game lols.

Great to be optimistic about 2024, but optimism in this case is a long, long way from reality.

The main part about wins over collingwood and brisbane at the MCG is hawthorn win those eight out of ten times anyways. Whether that means a fake win or not who knows

7 wins again this year would be a good result for the Hawks. Fake wins over up-coming finalists Brisbane and Collingwood mean nothing, just look at our glory three-peat premierships and who we lost to in the lead-up to finals in those years. Teams are more interested in setting up their finals assaults than a W in many of the late home and away games. The result against fellow non-finalist Fremantle is a much better indication as to where we were at.
No serious key defender, McKay was a must unfortunately. Blanck tries hard, but will never be of adequate AFL standard.
No serious key forward. Lewis is far too unreliable, Chol is on his third chance (stats of such show his chances of being any good are almost zero), and Gunston is firstly not in that category and secondly well past his fabulous best.
No serious ruckman. I'd love Reeves to be good, but he is just too slow for a game that gets 10% quicker every year. He is totally ineffective once the ball hits the ground or once he's in the forward line. Liability, and although a nice centre square tap-to-advantage, those moments are rare and do not compensate for his inadequacies elsewhere. Meek a stop-gap.
Great midfield, but missing their key cog Day for the first half of the season. Newk a beauty, Worpel and Nash great role players but not much else, and I have serious doubts on both Ward and McKenzie.
Decent small forwards, Breust awesome but at the end, Butler will be fantastic, McDonals and Moore excellent, then the jury is out on both Watson and Ginnivan, both of whom I'd expect will be starting at Box hill, perhaps Ginni the sub. Hardwick will go back by half-time in the Essendon game lols.

Great to be optimistic about 2024, but optimism in this case is a long, long way from reality.
Your life must be sad

Jog on Troll

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A lot of merrett …….. 2nd post in 16 years 😂😂😂😂😂😂

Last edited:

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

This has to be a north supporter. Having seen their team lose so often the last few years they’ve forgotten what a real win looks like.

Give our boy some credit! He did play AFL so I think he deserves some credibility.

hey, couldn't resist a reply.... i looked up this site to get results and there is a fair bit of BS here!!

I am an old Xav and played AFL. Firstly, my old school first 18 are a bunch of flogs. The school is so ridiculously football-orientated, I cheer when we lose. Do you know I was rung up by the school last year cause they wanted to put an honour board up with all the old xav players who played VFL/AFL???? Man, what a joke!!!! We have had Olympic gold medallists never recognised by this pathetic school, but wanted to glorify guys like me who ran around what is essentially a local sport virtually unheard of outside Oz (despite what Demetriou wants you to think)

We have ONE good player in the team, Hannaberry, who will get drafted. But that moron Barraclough runs around telling twits like Lees and Noonan that they are going to be superstars, and makes these kids round around bouncing footies in February rather than enjoying all the sports elite schools like Xavier have to offer. Both were really talented rowers, but gave it away for "pre-season" football. Can you believe that crap!!!!!

Lynchie at Hailebury lets his boys row.... three in the first eight... and they'll flog Xavs by 20 goals.

APS footy is now a nonsense, courtesy of scholarships, and the average game consists of watching about four playeres from each side battle it out. Each school should get a grip.... do what Geelong Grammar does, give talented players scholarships cause they deserve a chance to better themselves in life, but let them go ahead and play in the TAC, and if they are available for the school, that's fine. That gives the "normal" guys a chance, and makes for a far more interesting spectacle.

And if you Xavs out there think there are no sporting scholarships out there at our school, think again. I'm living proof of that.

you dead s**t.

DIE-HARD Hawks supporter.
The vast majority of our side are kids who need time, a lot of time in most cases.
Anyway, those that think 7 wins in 2024 is a trolling insult from a dead s**t, then there is a fortune to be made. The betting agencies have us at 8.5 as under-over, so this time next year I am assuming you are all millionaires lols
(Unless, of course, two extra wins goes from a trolling insult to a learned opinion. hahaha)

“Fake wins” gave me a chuckle.
If you actually watch those 2 games then you'll know that calling them fake wins is BS. I'm pretty sure I also saw one of the Collingwood players saying the loss wasn't a concern because they were trying different things which is BS because at that point in Rd 21 top spot wasn't sewn up for them. The facts are we bashed the knee caps off them :moustache:

Last edited:
DIE-HARD Hawks supporter.
The vast majority of our side are kids who need time, a lot of time in most cases.
Anyway, those that think 7 wins in 2024 is a trolling insult from a dead s**t, then there is a fortune to be made. The betting agencies have us at 8.5 as under-over, so this time next year I am assuming you are all millionaires lols
(Unless, of course, two extra wins goes from a trolling insult to a learned opinion. hahaha)
Feel free to disappear for another 15 years

Chat is horrendous

Back