Strategy Can the Saints make the finals this year?

Remove this Banner Ad

I still think that Murdoch can make it just needs to be given a 5 or so block of games in a row.

Give guys like Gilbert, Montagna etc a rest and bring in the younger guys. What's the worse that can happen.

I have no problem bringing in the younger guys...we have plenty to try but I don't think it'll be Curren, Lee, Murdoch etc. Seems to me their futures have been decided. I'd also like to get more games into the likes of Sinclair, DMac, Lonie, Templeton who are far more likely to be part of the future.

I have no problem bringing in the younger guys...we have plenty to try but I don't think it'll be Curren, Lee, Murdoch etc. Seems to me their futures have been decided. I'd also like to get more games into the likes of Sinclair, DMac, Lonie, Templeton who are far more likely to be part of the future.

I still hold out that Murdoch has what it takes to make it. Has been injured a fair bit and hasn't had a consistent run at it.

I still hold out that Murdoch has what it takes to make it. Has been injured a fair bit and hasn't had a consistent run at it.

I hope you're right, it's just that maybe he's run out of time. I hate that some of these players are going to be disappointed, but sadly there are only so many spots available. When players like Gresh come in and hit the ground running it then squeezes the more senior "fringe" players out.
I don't take any pleasure in saying those other players probably aren't going to make it. I really wanted Lee to cement his spot.

I have no idea why people think we can't make the finals if we lose tomorrow night.

....or even tonight :)
Seriously though, you have always been the most optimistic poster when talking about finals this year, so for your sake especially I hope we get there.

Because when it becomes mathematically you are stuffed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mathematically possible is when you are six games and percentage out with six to play. The Suns are a mathematical chance.

I would say we have a small but realistic chance of making it based on the ladder and the draw even if we lose tonight.

....or even tonight :)
Seriously though, you have always been the most optimistic poster when talking about finals this year, so for your sake especially I hope we get there.
I just base it off of our Riewoldt era rebuild. We had two lean years in 2001 and 2002, and then shot up the ladder in 2003 and finished dead even after 22 rounds on 11-11 (Finished 11th, two games out of the eight). So I think we can compare that to now, we've had two lean years under Richo in 2014 and 2015, and my opinion was that we would skyrocket up the ladder this year and instead of ending the year how we did in '03, we'd actually go one better and snatch a finals place. The side we have is capable enough of winning 5 of their remaining 6 games, and we may only need to win 4 to make it this year. It doesn't take long for a club to turn things around. The following year, '04, we were a kick away from making a Grand Final.

I think as supporters we probably should show a bit more optimism, or at least hold the club to better standards. I am realistic but I also know how long rebuilds generally take (if you're not a rabble like Melbourne) and from that I figured if we didn't play finals footy this year the season would be a disappointment. I think we're good enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just base it off of our Riewoldt era rebuild. We had two lean years in 2001 and 2002, and then shot up the ladder in 2003 and finished dead even after 22 rounds on 11-11 (Finished 11th, two games out of the eight). So I think we can compare that to now, we've had two lean years under Richo in 2014 and 2015, and my opinion was that we would skyrocket up the ladder this year and instead of ending the year how we did in '03, we'd actually go one better and snatch a finals place. The side we have is capable enough of winning 5 of their remaining 6 games, and we may only need to win 4 to make it this year. It doesn't take long for a club to turn things around. The following year, '04, we were a kick away from making a Grand Final.

I think as supporters we probably should show a bit more optimism, or at least hold the club to better standards. I am realistic but I also know how long rebuilds generally take (if you're not a rabble like Melbourne) and from that I figured if we didn't play finals footy this year the season would be a disappointment. I think we're good enough.

Not sure that its comparable though.
I'd think our team wasn't so gutted before we loaded up with young stars.

Jones, Thompson, Burke, Harvey alongside already experienced Hayes , Baker and some fairly significant mature age trades such as Black, Gehrig, Powell, Hamill ,and Penny.

Different team at a different time.

Jones, Thompson, Burke, Harvey alongside already experienced Hayes , Baker and some fairly significant mature age trades such as Black, Gehrig, Powell, Hamill ,and Penny.

Yeah but we miffed it up after that we have built different this time but Savage, Hickey, Longer, Carlisle, Robbo, Weller Membrey looks like a good trade list.
We just seem to be missing some cream but next year if Steven stays this good, Armo can recover from his injury and we could get Billings, Gresham, Acres and Sincs all playing their best we will be looking pretty good

Yeah I know all of that I'm just comparing the timeframes. Usually in a rebuild you're only down for 3 or so years. I just had hope the people in charge this time around would go one better.

In the great words of that Scottish bard,

header-neversay.jpg

1) If North win next week and then lose their remaining four games...
WE NEED TO BEAT: Blues, Swans, Tigers, Lions to make the finals.

2) If North lose next week and then lose their remaining four games...
WE NEED TO BEAT: Roos next week, Blues, Tigers, Lions to make the finals.

1) If North win next week and then lose their remaining four games...
WE NEED TO BEAT: Blues, Swans, Tigers, Lions to make the finals.

2) If North lose next week and then lose their remaining four games...
WE NEED TO BEAT: Roos next week, Blues, Tigers, Lions to make the finals.
If they lose every game including next week, we only need to beat two of Blues, Tigers, Lions. Assuming Port or someone else doesn't catch us.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmaybe.

But probably not.

And were putrid in 2000 though as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back