Moved Thread Carlton 2011 vs. Carlton 2022

Carlton 2011 or Carlton 2022

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Always Ballin

Social Activist. Freedom Fighter. Feminist.
Jan 11, 2015
Main Forum Poster
AFL Club
West Coast
As we know, Carlton has had it tough in the 21st century. They've struggled to compete while acquiring top draft picks year after year. The lone bright spot for the club over the last 20 years was when Chris Judd came to town. He elevated that team and they were able to make the top 8 in 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2013. 2008 and 2012 were close finals appearances as well.

The 2011 team was undoubtedly the best team of the last 20 seasons. They finished 5th on the ladder and almost made a prelim.

Given Carlton's great start to this season, I thought I'd ask the question: is this team better than the 2011 one? Will these boys go further, win more games?

Key position players in 2011 were pretty average.

In 2022 we have the 2021 Coleman medalist and the likely 2022 Coleman medalist plus an elite full back.

Both midfields were elite but I feel 2022 is more balanced.

The 2011 forward setup was completely different with a couple of gun smalls complementing O’Hailpin and Walker as a dangerous mid-sized forward.

Neither team are/were premiership material. For the 2022 version not this year, for the 2011 version not any year - they just weren't that good.

The real question is whether they stay the course this time. Their oldest players are Docherty, Newman and Newnes who turn 30 next year. With Cripps, Saad, Martin, Williams etc. they've got a couple of years window to do something before they have to worry about losing older players. McKay, Curnow, Walsh, Weitering are all 25 and under. They've got a Coleman medalist, a potential Coleman medalist and a potential AA CHB. Pretty handy spine.

If history repeats they'll have a couple of 12-14 win seasons, get ahead of themselves and sack Voss to bring in a big name premiership coach, or buy a big name player etc. If they keep making sensible recruiting decisions and improve a bit at a time each year they could be a shot in the next couple of years.

Back