Official Club Stuff Carlton Academy - Next Gen & Father/Son/Daughter Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Father Son Developement Academy

Good to see Carlton has taken a page out of James Hird's book.

390868-james-hird.jpg

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...on-bomber-babies/story-e6frf9jf-1225892393110

Will definitely help your club in securing the future. :thumbsu:
What an ugly bunch of kids

IMHO and I'm not trying to sound arrogant .. but I think that I could destroy that front line of "gun" Essendon father son players.

I'd be more superior in the air, on the ground, and would generally be stonger and have better footy nous that those hacks :D

I think the club has noticed a few things and they are:

1. Over the last 10 or 20 years it's hard to find a premiership winning side with out at least 1 father son. They seem to be the thing that makes good teams great teams.

2. We've seen a few reasonable father sons go by that haven't been quite good enough like Sheldon at the Lions and IIRC Walls had a kid at the club some time ago. Perhaps the club thinks that they can get in and develop these guys early and turn these guys who are average into better players and steals in the draft.

3. Perhaps there are a hell of a lot of father sons out there who are reasonable and the club can see us cashing in on some real talent and we could accelerate the progress of these guys so they are ready to go early by getting onto them now. They are the only kids out there that are guaranteed to us so why not!

This might be a great way to stop that fluctuating cycle caused by the draft where teams are constantly rising and falling over time. This also might stop the odd father son not wanting to go to the club like Murphy did with brisbane, or perhaps if we need them to not nominate when first eligable so we can get other players they will go with that. I think we wanted Sheldon to hold back.

Also those wondering about their size, I wouldn't look too much into it, IIRC Waite grew at least a foot after he was 16 I recon.

This is an excellent move from the club!

yes David Walls was with us just after the 1995 premiership - maybe 1997 / 1998?

From the CFC website .........

Back to the future for Academy kids

academy-jan-11-350-4.jpg

Standing from left to right, Joel Madden (son of Justin),
Jordan Dorotich (son of Jon), Mitchell Gleeson (son of Adrian),
Jack Meldrum (son of Paul), Bailey Rice (son of Dean).

Kneeling are Billy Alvin (son of Tom), Charly Williams (son of Greg),
Joseph Sexton (son of Michael) and Jack Silvagni (son of Stephen).

Cheers Aph. .. Joel will probably have a late growth period I'd say. .. Interesting to know which ones are not playing footy currently (the article gave the impression some weren't but could have meant the younger ones). .. Although nothing wrong with coming to the game late if you've got the natural skill. ..

Sensational post.
But you should see Collingwood's father-son program. It's like a leper colony down there.

You guys should be thanking Rowdy and Richo as they've had their kids around the Pies F/S program for a couple of years and can give your mob some tips.

You guys should be thanking Rowdy and Richo as they've had their kids around the Pies F/S program for a couple of years and can give your mob some tips.

Fair call, but i'm very pleased that the club has seen fit to set this up.

I was just kidding mate, don't get too defensive.
In fact, I have a relative in the Collingwood program. Great idea.

Doro's kid is pretty good isn't he? Read on the draft board that he is playing pretty good footy, anyone know anything about him?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is very common knowledge around these parts GC & the fact that SOS lives in Balwyn North.

http://www.greythornfalcons.com.au/teams/u13s.html

I think you will find that Josh Daicos is a yr younger than Jack.

Jack played in the under 13's last year & Josh in the under 12's

http://www.greythornfalcons.com.au/teams/u12s.html

Graham Wright's son played in the under 11's in 2010

http://www.greythornfalcons.com.au/teams/u11s.html

LOL I just saw my nephews name in one of the teams :cool:

No worries

I played at Greythorn myself back in the 70's. We used to line up against a really really mad kid who played at Heatherdale named Mark Jackson! He used to cry if they lost!!

Found out about the Greythorn connection when I went to an AFL HAll of Fame dinner a couple of years ago and ended up sitting with Jo Silvagni Peter Daicos and Wayne Richardson (used to have his no as a kid). Sorry to drop the names but that was a pretty good night.

They told me the kids were all at Greythorn and I thought they were all in the same team but probably got that bit muddled

I don't think that anyone has mentioned Dominators sons....
IIRC, 2 of his cons play for Sandringham U18's???
Please correct me if I am wrong with the club they play for.
Apparently go ok as well :thumbsu:

From memory, I think one of his sons (Marc) plays for Sandringham Dragons true blue.

From memory, I think one of his sons (Marc) plays for Sandringham Dragons true blue.

yeah knew deffinitely one but had one of the younger ones as well come up to us during a Bullants V Sandringham game selling raffle tickets for Sandy.... he was wearing Sandringham gear so I thought he played as well...
but cheers for that :thumbsu:

Thanks for the link Aphrodite, it was great to be able to see the way the club ran the program (at least the introduction). It was very well run and is a really positive step for everyone involved.

My pleasure SOC ;)

It is an excellent initiative by the Club & SOC to introduce such a program for the sons of our past players/premiership players etc

What are your thoughts on some of the sons actually deciding to take up an AFL career & be drafted by the CFC under the F/S rule, not naming names of course.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back