News Carlton AFLW Full Scale Review - UPDATE: Harford & Blues part ways

Remove this Banner Ad

The impression I got from that statement was that it was mainly due to Harford not being able to commit to the role full-time (I’m guessing due to his radio gig, amongst other things). Though could also be a polite way of saying he was no longer suitable for the role, who knows…

Freo also still looking for a head coach, so that makes two clubs on the hunt. Will be interesting to see how this continues to play out.
Seems a lot of the dockers players are keen on Lisa Webb who is part of the Dogs AFLW coaching set up and her husband is part of the mens program at the dogs.

She doesn't seem keen on heading back to Perth so hopefully we will be speaking to her.

Harf should have walked at the end of last season, has been abysmal since taking the reigns.. He coached Balwyn in the EFL to many flags because they had double the match payments of the nearest competitor.. this doesnt make you a good coach
I don't think Harf was a bad coach: he managed to get us into a GF when he had the talent. It was when we started leaking good players (again) that Harf's issues became more apparent. I didn't mind his style of game, but it required players with better disposal and a much stronger midfield than we have at the moment. It also required a dominant key forward.
On the other hand, his replacement, whoever it might be, has a young list that we just might be able to keep together. If we can pick up a few good'uns and keep our defence together, we could scare quite a few teams next time.
One thing that really hurt Harford was the small break between seasons this time around. He didn't get the chance to develop our younger players, and they needed development.
Whoever Harf's replacement is will get the chance to really work on the girls before they have to be ready for the next season.

One thing that has been bad in the last couple of years has been our relative fitness. We tend to start the year poorly and run out of legs in the last quarter. Whoever our next coach is, that has to change. We need to have a fitness advantage over the competition if we are to be what we could be.

I haven't deliberately misinterpreted anything. You're pushing the narrative that Harford was only sacked because he sucked. You're furthering the conspiracy. If I misinterpreted, I've only done so based on what you said.

So neither of us work within the program. I'm not claiming I know Harford's worth here. I've only got his record to go on. A couple of successfull years and some crappy years. I see fault in Harford, the club, the development coaches and the recruitment.

Harford lost some players but some have been steadfastly in his corner.

..problem was, it was all the good players !! :)

Harf should have walked at the end of last season, has been abysmal since taking the reigns.. He coached Balwyn in the EFL to many flags because they had double the match payments of the nearest competitor.. this doesnt make you a good coach
Wouldn't mind an "abysmal" men's coach that could take us to a grand final like Harf did, although would prefer to win it once there.

Not sure that everything or everyone has to be viewed through the greatest ever or worst ever prism. I would imagine that Harf did his best, tried his hardest and did some things well and other not that well.

Wouldn't mind an "abysmal" men's coach that could take us to a grand final like Harf did, although would prefer to win it once there.

Not sure that everything or everyone has to be viewed through the greatest ever or worst ever prism. I would imagine that Harf did his best, tried his hardest and did some things well and other not that well.
So much put on Harf. I have been critical of him too, but surely we must focus on the entire program. I don’t know the coaching capabilities of Simmo, Newman and big Sean Hampson, but they do look a bit like “jobs for the boys”. Newy does seem set on a coaching career post footy, so on face value, I am supportive of his involvement.

So much put on Harf. I have been critical of him too, but surely we must focus on the entire program. I don’t know the coaching capabilities of Simmo, Newman and big Sean Hampson, but they do look a bit like “jobs for the boys”. Newy does seem set on a coaching career post footy, so on face value, I am supportive of his involvement.
Good point and perhaps having 'men' in these coaching roles has created a culture within the womens footy program which has led to so many players choosing to leave.

Herald sun reporting that Harf has "whacked" the club on his radio show for neglecting the women's program.
Geez, these tabloids can dish out some crap if that's what they're reporting.

I just listened to the Harf podcast from this morning - and he basically said that following the men's review last year, he felt there was more focus on the men's program in this area over the past 12 months in implementing the changes, with an eye taken off the AFLW program - which the club have acknowledged in the findings.

He also went on to say he feels he's been blessed and lucky to be part of the Carlton Footy Club, as well as the AFLW.

He's a good man Harf :thumbsu::):thumbsu:

Herald sun reporting that Harf has "whacked" the club on his radio show for neglecting the women's program.

Geez, these tabloids can dish out some crap if that's what they're reporting.

I just listened to the Harf podcast from this morning - and he basically said that following the men's review last year, he felt there was more focus on the men's program in this area over the past 12 months in implementing the changes, with an eye taken off the AFLW program - which the club have acknowledged in the findings.

He also went on to say he feels he's been blessed and lucky to be part of the Carlton Footy Club, as well as the AFLW.

He's a good man Harf :thumbsu::):thumbsu:

Audio:-

“The review has found that there are some key barriers to success, relating to systems, culture, coaching structures and insufficient leadership to support and drive professionalism and elite behaviours.

“One of the key findings of the review related to the undisputed need for the Senior Coach position to be full-time. Based on this requirement, as well as a number of key findings in relation to the performance of the program, discussions held with Daniel Harford identified that the decision would be made to part ways.

Has been obvious that Carlton AFWL has been going backwards for the last couple of years - that first sentence lists pretty much everything that could be poor at a Club is poor.

Easy to blame one person for one reason after the fact.

The second part of the first sentence from Sayers pretty much points a finger at more than the coach as an issue - for mine and (FWIW) think that some of the players still at the club are an integral part of the problem(s) - but no need to reference them.

onwards and upwards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

..problem was, it was all the good players !! :)

All the good players?

Hill, McKay, Moody, Laloifi, Pound, Peterson are all guns at this level. A little bit of respect required.

You're way off the mark. There are no soft cap issues. Carlton lured Lauren Morecroft from North Melbourne due to being able to pay her more as an assistant coach.

Where is she now? Coaching a NAB League boys team. Why? Can't address that elephant in the room, might reflect poorly on some members of the current playing group.

She joined us 3 seasons ago. We have had a hell of a lot of players leave us since then, some rumoured to be lacking in standards and behaviour. Since our clean out, why do you think it's the current list who is the problem?

She joined us 3 seasons ago. We have had a hell of a lot of players leave us since then, some rumoured to be lacking in standards and behaviour. Since our clean out, why do you think it's the current list who is the problem?
Young players lacking in standards and behaviour is natural. The real problem arises when you don't have sufficient leadership around them.

Harford* cut players like Arnell and Loynes--strong leaders who went on to contribute well at other clubs, and win a flag in one case. Davey was allowed to leave purely over money ($100k at Carlton vs $150k at Collingwood), i.e. the club wouldn't pay her as well as Vescio.

That void was filled with Elise O'Dea, who spit the dummy at Melbourne (after being told to lift her game by Pearce and Paxman) and asked for a trade to Carlton with a year left on her contract.

*he made these calls, and has said so publicly

Young players lacking in standards and behaviour is natural. The real problem arises when you don't have sufficient leadership around them.

Harford* cut players like Arnell and Loynes--strong leaders who went on to contribute well at other clubs, and win a flag in one case. Davey was allowed to leave purely over money ($100k at Carlton vs $150k at Collingwood), i.e. the club wouldn't pay her as well as Vescio.

That void was filled with Elise O'Dea, who spit the dummy at Melbourne (after being told to lift her game by Pearce and Paxman) and asked for a trade to Carlton with a year left on her contract.

Damn, if it was a decision between Dacey and Vescio, we picked badly.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Damn, if it was a decision between Dacey and Vescio, we picked badly.
It was a bad decision (compounded by Chloe Dalton prioritising rugby) to let her leave in some respects. Though it must be said, despite proving herself as a good leader and a top player, Davey has missed the last two seasons in somewhat predictable fashion.

I don't think it was a case of 'if Vescio had taken a paycut, that money would've been used to keep Davey'.

None of that addresses your suggestion of the elephant in the room with the current playing list and the reasons Morecroft left.

Arnell found herself out of our best 22 on form when she left. Loynes played 1 more season at GWS at age 35. Loyned replaced Arnell as leader so got that one covered. Then Peterson repaced Loynes as leader so got that one covered. Mimi Hill is clearly leadership material so we have that one covered once Peterson goes too. There are plenty of leadership candidates at the club. There is no elephant. Part of the reason we had an exodus is because of the strong stance Kerry Peterson took on standards and behaviour.

As for Davey and Vescio, both were originally marquee players for us. The only reason Vescio may have been getting more money is that she actually worked for the club as a graphic designer.

Who is your source for this stuff?

THE CLUB can confirm General Manager of Women’s Football Brett Munro has departed IKON Park.

Following the completion of the independent review conducted into the Blues’ AFLW program, further discussions were had with Munro, where he was informed his contract would not be renewed.
“Brett Munro has shown unquestionable dedication to our AFLW program,” Carlton President Luke Sayers said.

Some quotes from Harf’s aforementioned radio chat about his departure. Absolutely no malice and backs up the club’s statement about not being able to serve the role in a full-time capacity. Thought it gave some decent insights:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back