Coach Carlton Coaching Group 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

While I would love him at the club, Tim Clarke has had enormous success with our midfield group this year. I'm not sure where else Joel would be able to help out but even as a 2nd in command type or transition work getting his IP and leadership at the football club would be fantastic.

I'm not sure. I'm putting the game plan and increased ferocity down to Vossy (i.e we'd run through a brick wall for him), but even though we had injuries, our midfield in the second half of the season was a dog's breakfast at times. Certainly the next man in stopped working and opposition teams were racking up inside 50s against us.

I'm not sure. I'm putting the game plan and increased ferocity down to Vossy (i.e we'd run through a brick wall for him), but even though we had injuries, our midfield in the second half of the season was a dog's breakfast at times. Certainly the next man in stopped working and opposition teams were racking up inside 50s against us.
Must remember it was our 1 wood and teams did just about everything they could to deny us of our strength through the middle given it seemed our biggest mode of success. They had half forwards pushing up as extra's, rucks hitting the ball long out wide to avoid an in tight contest etc and we still came out on top of contested possessions and clearances the vast majority of the time. He also had Cripps back up and running who our ITK's told us was partly responsible for his return.

Anyway, whatever the case whether it was Voss or Clarke, I was pretty happy with our midfield most of the year barring a few games where we were missing a few key players in there and games where TDK was monstered bad.

Selwood would be a great leadership and skills coach imo if he were to come in with the extra cap space we have left from Teagues $ being off our books.

I'm all in with ODN here, Selwood seems like he would be an excellent pickup in any capacity and, if available, we should be into him neck high.

I'm not too sure that our midfield actually performed to anywhere near it's capacity for much of the year but, even if so we, should be looking to improve our coaching staff continuously, failure to do that over the last few years is one of the main reasons we've been where we've been.

Apparently there is an additional $500k in the soft cap for all clubs next year...
Our payout for Teague will stop... We may have $700k-$800k to spend...

Stoppages Coach (New Role)
Selwood, N.Lappin or Kennedy (Sydney)

Ball Movement Coach and Tactics (New Role)
Ash Hansen (2IC)

Forwards Coach
Betts or Kennedy (Eagles)

Apparently there is an additional $500k in the soft cap for all clubs next year...

Ash Hansen (2IC)

Forwards Coach
I'd love to see Kennedy working with Harry and Charlie. He had an unbelievably big bag of tricks for a key forward. Set plays at stoppages for him to swoop in on. Extraordinary player.

Ash Hansen (2IC)

Forwards Coach
Should always be looking to bring in new coaches and fresh ideas. Successful clubs are always recruiting new coaches and we should be doing the same.

Surely the Voss factor helps put us in the frame for Lappin?i Like these suggestions though. Think our forward line in particular could do with some more help.

I'd be disappointed if it starts and ended with Betts, although he seems a good start. Our small forward positioning was generally poor

Should always be looking to bring in new coaches and fresh ideas. Successful clubs are always recruiting new coaches and we should be doing the same.

Surely the Voss factor helps put us in the frame for Lappin?i Like these suggestions though. Think our forward line in particular could do with some more help.

I'd be disappointed if it starts and ended with Betts, although he seems a good start. Our small forward positioning was generally poor

How much money do you think is available in the soft cap and which assistants would you replace and who would you add?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Get Rocca back to work on goal kicking with our forwards
We have the past two Coleman medallists playing for us and we have a goalkicking problem?? Think we'd have better ways of spending our money.

When they kick as badly at goals as they did in the last 2 games costing us a spot in the finals I do think there is a problem
Lack of experience in pressure games, they will learn from it, people do realise we have hardly a player who has played in those finals type pressure games before? The club hasn't been involved in any of them in the past ten years. Those last two games were lost not exclusively due to goalkicking, it was just lack of experience at closing those type of games out.

How much money do you think is available in the soft cap and which assistants would you replace and who would you add?
Assuming Teague was on $400k - $600k a year and half of his wage, payout was paid in this years soft cap...
That would leave us with $200k-$300k + the $500k soft cap increase... Would mean we have $700k to $800k to spend...

Selwood ($250k) or Lappin ($300k)

Ash Hansen (2IC) (No $$$ change)

Forwards Coach
Betts (Smalls ($250k) & Kennedy (Eagles) (Talls ($250k)

Coaches don't get paid as much as when they were players...
You'd think $250k is pretty good for an assistant rookie coach...

Assuming Teague was on $400k - $600k a year and half of his wage, payout was paid in this years soft cap...
That would leave us with $200k-$300k + the $500k soft cap increase... Would mean we have $700k to $800k to spend...

Selwood ($250k) or Lappin ($300k)

Ash Hansen (2IC) (No $$$ change)

Forwards Coach
Betts (Smalls ($250k) & Kennedy (Eagles) (Talls ($250k)

Coaches don't get paid as much as when they were players...
You'd think $250k is pretty good for an assistant rookie coach...

You think all the soft cap dollars goes to just coaches?

Kennedy won't leave WA due to his business interests. Can't see Selwood leaving the Cats, he is a lifer

You think all the soft cap dollars goes to just coaches?

Kennedy won't leave WA due to his business interests. Can't see Selwood leaving the Cats, he is a lifer
Joel's partner is apparently finally pregnant after years of trying. I suspect he might take some time off to spend at home before going into coaching.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

If 800k is available as Tenacious speculates, that's going to get us 3 solid assistants. I'd shuffle the chairs a little...

Hansen to Senior Assistant

New coach to forward line, new coach to strategy, new coach to midfield stoppage/strategy. Take your pick from recommended names above

For fear of shooting Bambi, I'd replace Kreuzer as ruck coach.

Don't think I'd be looking to move anyone else on

If 800k is available as Tenacious speculates, that's going to get us 3 solid assistants. I'd shuffle the chairs a little...

Hansen to Senior Assistant

New coach to forward line, new coach to strategy, new coach to midfield stoppage/strategy. Take your pick from recommended names above

For fear of shooting Bambi, I'd replace Kreuzer as ruck coach.

Don't think I'd be looking to move anyone else on

Think Hansen is already the senior assistant

800k? Yeah speculation and there are other areas to spend it on outside of assistants

Don't see many changes and I would back that in

Remove this Banner Ad

Back