Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc) - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree Harks, for us to improve, the younger boys must surpass him.

Saw him play ruck in the 2's many years ago in a final where he literally took the game by the scruff of the neck and was something to watch. After sitting on someones head in the last qtr for another hang, he came down and twisted his ankle, never saw him get back to that standard again.

Forget those ruck days, as only heavy injuries will afford Casboult such duties again, given we have Kreuzer, Lobbe, Phillips and TDK on deck and only one of them will likely be playing in the senior team at any one time.
Only an injury to McKay may give Casboult opportunity in the senior team and further opportunities in the ruck.

I just think that it's now important that the likes of Kerr & TDK get opportunities as the prime focal targets in our NB's forward line.
If one or both are pushed aside for the senior guys, I feel it can only hamper their development. Give them the responsibility and see what comes about.

Will look great at Northern this year .....
Might be some use for a huge bloke that can take a grab and scatter defences. Might be even more useful with a midfield that can get the ball and kick to advantage. Who’d have thunk it?

Levi will look great at Northern this year .....

Hmmmm not so sure

Not so sure Levi will spend a lot of time down at Northern? Or not so sure he will look great there?

If the former....he played 12 matches in the VFL last year vs 10 in the AFL. And selection is only going to get harder with McGov recruitment and another year into Harry.

I don't see much of a future for him at Carlton, other than injury cover.

EDIT: My bad, maybe 5 games at VFL in 2018? My point still stands....just not as strongly as before...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not so sure Levi will spend a lot of time down at Northern? Or not so sure he will look great there?

If the former....he played 12 matches in the VFL last year vs 10 in the AFL. And selection is only going to get harder with McGov recruitment and another year into Harry.

EDIT: My bad, maybe 5 games at VFL in 2018? My point still stands....just not as strongly as before...

Not suggesting Levi plays 22 AFL games next year, in fact I see him only as break glass option.

Ironic that many would have hoped that previous recruiters, drafted/traded for more KPF's, to allow Levi to play the roll he was always meant (capable) to play as a 2nd string KPF/relief ruck option. Now we all prefer McKay, CC, MM, TDK and even Kerr to be given first priority. Have always stated that if a senior and younger player had similar form line at the lower levels (or AFL level), that the younger player should be selected, but if that senior player has a considerably better output, then he should be selected. I guess it is one of the reasons why so many people believe Thomas should still be a consideration for best 22.

I am sure Levi will still get some games, based on injuries to others, setups (MM could be used down back and or CC on a wing), or with tinkering with the 6 6 6 rules, which I think would benefit a player of Levi's characteristics

Personally, I hope the club utilizes him as a ruckman at NB level, changing with TDK forward. While Levi is far from our best ruckman, his forward capabilities are considerably better than Lobbe, Phillips or even MK, an aspect of the game that has shown over the last 10 years, that being a threat forward is becoming more important than a ruckman only (Vardy, Lycett, Hale etc)

I think Levi may still get 1/2 dozen games at senior level, the rest will take care of itself

Started strongly, looked good for a minute, then missed your target.

That was very Levi of you.

Not enough love for Levi <sad face>
Agreed. He will be a very handy depth player and God forbid anything Happens to one of our Big fellas he will be more than capable and could thrive with better delivery and less focus all on him.
I like Levi, as much as he has frustrated me in times gone by.

Been one of his biggest defenders in here for about 4 seasons. Happy we have finally got some options, it all means nothing until the midfield improves.

Levi will be a victim of timing, has never had the chance to face a dominant midfield with good foot skills, now we are assembling one, others will pass him by in the key forward role.

More than happy he is available in the event one of the younger kpf is not selected. Until then, hope he smashes packs in the reserves so the small forwards get to practice their craft repeatedly.

Been one of his biggest defenders in here for about 4 seasons. Happy we have finally got some options, it all means nothing until the midfield improves.

Levi will be a victim of timing, has never had the chance to face a dominant midfield with good foot skills, now we are assembling one, others will pass him by in the key forward role.

More than happy he is available in the event one of the younger kpf is not selected. Until then, hope he smashes packs in the reserves so the small forwards get to practice their craft repeatedly.

Levi will get his chances. McGovern Harry and charlie could all have their injuries and or require rests - see Russells MO at the Hawks , whereby key players were rested during the year to keep them fresher for finals. As others have said MM could be seconded to the back line for match ups and harry hasnt been the most bullet proof player . Charlie might be used in the midfield at times and so the use of another mature tall forward is likely at some stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back