Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc) - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Extremely poor timing by SOS to say the least, and does not put him or the Club in a good light..

He is one of my all time favourite players, but I just cannot defend the Son of Serge here, or rationalize his comments so close to a crucial trade and draft period for us..

I feel bitterly disappointed and sad at how this has all played out.
You consider SOS’s comments this morning as being realistically capable of diminishing the overall effect of our Cash war chest on prospective recruits? I doubt those in contention will even spare a realistic care.

If people are upset with SOS about his comments, then your anger is directed at the wrong person.

We all love the Carlton Footy Club. SOS loves the Carlton footy club. And in SOS's case he (and his entire family) has given so much to the footy club. If some outsider is going to come in accusing a legend of sabotage, that is a inexcusable.

I see massive Red flags here. Between that accusation, the pathetic announcement at the time and the whole saga, Liddle has come out looking very poor here and no other way to spin it.

At the end of the day, the Club is first and club legends come closely after.... periodic CEOs are forgotten very quickly.

I fear that after we got rid of Trigg maybe due to his passive nature, we told Liddle he is to take complete control and he has done so, but not as expected.

just listened. quality radio.

two sides to every story but sos seemed more 'matter-of-fact' rather than having a massive whinge. if i were jack i'd be filthy at him, but whattaya do?

most concerning part for me was how he said the club 100% expected to play finals this year. ouch. washed the 2020 positivity out of my mouth a bit tbh.

The side hasn't come under nearly enough scrutiny for the second half of the year , we were in prime position and repeatedly blew it

SOS claimed that the most disappointing thing about his situation was that Liddle told MLG that SOS may sabotage the trade/draft period.

What if MLG just made that up? Imagine what that would do, now? We're a funny lot :)

As stated previously this depends on MLG relaying Liddle's comments accurately to SOS. If he didn't then he is culpable but of all the things to tell SOS this would be the last story I would want to make up.

Can imagine how hurtful it would have been to be told you were a traitor to the club of you and your father?

I just wish SOS would wait a few years and write a book. Even if he has reason to be annoyed it just casts the club in a negative light. It’s not a distraction we need. Much of these claims will be impossible to prove.
He is back on trade radio SEN with Hutchy so this is drumming up interest by throwing a few grenades at the current admin.

Nothing is fact including everything you've said. None of us work within the club so we don't know for sure, we make comments based on the evidence provided. What's your point?
Not sure if you are being serious or not. Every persons comments (very much including yours) are being made on their pre-conceived ideas of who they believe is "correct" or "incorrect" - not on evidence provided. There has been no evidence provided.

Exactly. SOS steps out of the room, comes back and is told "Hey mate we're delisting Ben and trading Jack, sign off here pls". Was never going to work.

And honestly the fact Ben & Finbar were in the first round of delistings suggests they were pretty far off it...and even quite a few posters on here don't think they were worthy picks and may have been SOS being a little bias hiring his son and his mate.

With SOS being such a strongheaded figure, yeah the idea of his staff under him saying we want to delist your son is a very conflicted situation.

TBH Liddle stating the conflict of interest in the press release didn't throw SOS' sons under the bus IMO...I don't think anyone was really blaming them or anything...it shouldn't really have any affect. And PR is always full of spin...always. SOS says he wanted the club to be honest but actually the PR had a positive spin that SOS was good at his job and only had to leave due to a unique conflict of interest with his sons, rather than insinuating he is difficult to work with which would make it harder for him to find a job elsewhere and be seen as whacking an employee on the way out.

As stated previously this depends on MLG relaying Liddle's comments accurately to SOS. If he didn't then he is culpable but of all the things to tell SOS this would be the last story I would want to make up.

Can imagine how hurtful it would have been to be told you were a traitor to the club of you and your father?

It's just all ******* ridiculous, when you think about it.

MLG should have taken both parties by the ear, sat them down and told them to ******* straighten up, or they'll both be out.

Some leadership had to have come into the situation and remember....this had been stewing for some time. The problem was evident months out.

I just wish SOS would wait a few years and write a book. Even if he has reason to be annoyed it just casts the club in a negative light. It’s not a distraction we need. Much of these claims will be impossible to prove.
He is back on trade radio SEN with Hutchy so this is drumming up interest by throwing a few grenades at the current admin.
So you're inferring that SOS is applying mayo for publicity? That is highly disrespectful. He was pretty clear cut.

Extremely poor timing by SOS to say the least, and does not put him or the Club in a good light..

He is one of my all time favourite players, but I just cannot defend the Son of Serge here, or rationalize his comments so close to a crucial trade and draft period for us..

I feel bitterly disappointed and sad at how this has all played out.

It's literally his job, and will have zero effect on our trade period.

au contraire, the following, which I posted, ARE facts.

1. It's not a catastrophe if Jack leaves. Jack is not a key player.
2. Jack is contracted. We would obtain a return for him.
3. If SOS' interview "makes" Jack leave (which i doubt happens) then there would have clearly been a conflict.
4. You don't know if Jack wants to leave
5. You don't know Liddle and SOS' relationship.

So give opinions all you want, just like we all are. Don't pretend what you post are facts tho. Don't make a statement and say "it must be true or he's lying, prove otherwise" as that's practically just trolling.
4. We know based on today they had a poor working relationship.
2. Small return because of the situation, inconsequential.
3. We don't know if he already wanted to leave if he leaves.

You havent posted any facts other than, Jack is contracted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At the end of the day, the Club is first and club legends come closely after.... periodic CEOs are forgotten very quickly.

I fear that after we got rid of Trigg maybe due to his passive nature, we told Liddle he is to take complete control and he has done so, but not as expected.

I think this is very dangerous - being a legend get's you life membership and good seats at the finals and as much adulation as we can muster.

But if said 'legend' is in a paid job at the club then, as far as the parameters of that job are concerned, he has to be treated as any other employee.

Not backing either him or Liddle. The CEO lied to you and 60 thousand other members in a press release we all knew was bullshit at the time.
I stand by the club and want the best people working for the club. And if that means both SOS and Liddle are gone then so be it.

Company press releases are always ambiguous and full of spin.

Did SOS want Liddle to be 'honest' from his POV and say officially and publicly that SOS has been moved on because we find him difficult to work with? No, that would be unprofessional and even worse since it gives SOS a whack on the way out.

By stating it was due to the conflict of interest that SOS left, in theory it should actually be seen as a reasonable explanation that keeps both the club's and SOS' reputation in tact.

It's like those high execs you see in the news who have basically been fired for doing dodgy s**t but often they quit before being fired, and the company announces they have parted ways, we thank X for their wonderful contribution and achievements and wish him all the best type BS.

Not sure if you are being serious or not. Every persons comments (very much including yours) are being made on their pre-conceived ideas of who they believe is "correct" or "incorrect" - not on evidence provided. There has been no evidence provided.
Public statements made by those involved aren't evidence?

I think this is very dangerous - being a legend get's you life membership and good seats at the finals and as much adulation as we can muster.

But if said 'legend' is in a paid job at the club then, as far as the parameters of that job are concerned, he has to be treated as any other employee.
Yes. And that is with respect. You particularly deserve it if you're royalty. To be accused of sabotage is insulting to anyone doing any job.

4. We know based on today they had a poor working relationship.
2. Small return because of the situation, inconsequential.
3. We don't know if he already wanted to leave if he leaves.

You havent posted any facts other than, Jack is contracted.

No we don't know. It's only one perceived side of the story.
"inconsequential" lol. Is it true or not? If he leaves, we get something back. Fact.
That's a straw man and not what I posted.

I frankly am not bothering with you any further.

Last edited by a moderator:
Loved SOS as a player/ negotiator list manager, hated what he and Bradley did to the club in 2000
and didn't have an opinion about him and Liddle's fiasco at the time.

But his Carlton passion showed and the frankness of his comments was great listening for me..
The pain on his face (was close to crying), when talking about Liddle's comments about him not being trusted.
Though Liddle was pushing for Ellis and others over the top of SOS..

Realise it's only one side of the story but Liddle sounds like a snake in the club, not sure why we aren't looking for his replacement.
This is a major negative hit to the club, when everything was looking so positive

SOS is still a Carlton man :blueheart:

Last edited:
To have governance you need to be involved

As an example, if the agreed list management strategy did not include targeting a KPF and then that changed, as a CEO, you would seek clarification from the team why that strategy had changed.

Governance can be "involved" but at arms length.
Lloyd and Austin should be reporting to Liddle, obviously, and it's right he should have questions to make sure it's going as it should be (ie governance).
But he shouldn't be dictating or influencing strategy or, more egregiously, specific players.

Questioning "do we have enough KPPs?" is pretty different to saying "we need more KPPs", or "we should be going after Joe Daniher".

SoS interview confirms the view of Liddle as a power junkie, who has put his career progression and disdain of disenting voices ahead of the club. It was political manipulation of the highest order to couch SoS dismissal in a conflict of interest around his sons. The interview also reflects on MLG as a weak leader. The president makes the final call on this stuff not the CEO. Please take Liddle's 2 minute propoganda video pieces with a grain of salt

It's all SOS' point of view though...

Maybe Liddle stepped in on the behest of Lloyd/Agresta/Teague and MLG didn't alter the CEO's decision because he privately agreed with it?

FWIW I have worked with Liddle, he is a snake of a bloke

Listening to SOS today I am not surprised in the slightest that Liddle has done what SOS has said. A few places of previous employment that he wouldn't be welcomed back with open arms

Surely the president comes out and puts this to bed rather than the CEO and SOS getting into a public sh*t slinging match
Interesting insight. Did he get long-term results at the expense of pissing everyone off short-term?

I've seen CEO's/GM's come in with the intention to completely shift an organisation, they piss everyone off in the first 2 years whilst putting their processes in. The business starts humming over years 3-4, then the owners/directors usually figure out they're not required anymore and piss them off. Or the smart ones jump before pushed (usually to the next payrise).

Company press releases are always ambiguous and full of spin.

Did SOS want Liddle to be 'honest' from his POV and say officially and publicly that SOS has been moved on because we find him difficult to work with? No, that would be unprofessional and even worse since it gives SOS a whack on the way out.

By stating it was due to the conflict of interest that SOS left, in theory it should actually be seen as a reasonable explanation that keeps both the club's and SOS' reputation in tact.

It's like those high execs you see in the news who have basically been fired for doing dodgy sh*t but often they quit before being fired, and the company announces they have parted ways, we thank X for their wonderful contribution and achievements and wish him all the best type BS.

Why not simply say that by mutual agreement Carlton and SOS had agreed to part ways. No need to bring sons into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back