Discussion Carlton possible new clash kit

Remove this Banner Ad

The current 'baby blue' kit would probably just look so much better if they used traditional white shorts with the light blue guernsey. Its the light blue shorts that make Carlton's clash alternative cringeworthy in my opinion rather than the guernsey itself.

Me either. It's still a BLUE jumper which any team called the BLUES should be wearing.

The problem with the most recent second was that it looked like a blue Staedtler highlight marker had been thrown into the wash the kit. It was too fluoro, almost unnatural. It just stood out too much.

An-all-white with navy trim is the safe choice for CAR. CAR scarves are sold as navy and white so it's not as though white is foreign. I think they wanted to do something different to what just about every other club was doing. The second or third kits of any club doesn't have to be white. I applaud them for taking the route they did, it's just that the execution was a bit off as not too many light colours look good as AFL guernseys. This is the major problem with solid AFL guernseys in lighter colours that don't involve stripes or hoops. Without the sleeves, and wearing shorter shorts than basketballers and soccer players, they look extremely effeminate or kiddy like. Versions of sky blue are used by many sports teams such as UNC in US NCAA, and all of Manchester City, Lazio and Napoli in European football. It works well for all of them.

With the shorts being shorter in the AFL than in any of those sports, going white with the shorts would've probably been a better choice. It probably would've reduced the brightness of the kit as a whole too.

Thinking about using an alternate blue for their clash jersey I was thinking about perhaps a Slate-Blue. It looks more manly than the powder blue which may convince some people. It may need to be a shade lighter.
CarltonClash1.png

Hey Broken,

I quite like that design you've done. I'm quite new to playing around with jumper templates and I'm using photoshop. At the moment I am trying to play around with curved lines. I see your 'curved' lines have a sqaure/segmented look to them. Is that on purpose or just what you did to get the curved look?

Hey Broken,

I quite like that design you've done. I'm quite new to playing around with jumper templates and I'm using photoshop. At the moment I am trying to play around with curved lines. I see your 'curved' lines have a sqaure/segmented look to them. Is that on purpose or just what you did to get the curved look?
Not on purpose, I'd rather a smoother line. I use the line tool in Photoshop which is why it looks blocky I guess.

If you're using photoshop TheBug, right click on the box selector tool thing, then make it an oval selector.

Draw the full oval so the curved bit goes where you want it to on the guernsey

click on the base guernsey layer

in the top bar, click on the "intersect with selection" option, it should be the rightmost selection in the group of four

then click on the guernsey inside your oval.

It should basically give you a selection that is the part of your oval inside the guernsey

Hope i've explained that well.

If you're using photoshop TheBug, right click on the box selector tool thing, then make it an oval selector.

Draw the full oval so the curved bit goes where you want it to on the guernsey

click on the base guernsey layer

in the top bar, click on the "intersect with selection" option, it should be the rightmost selection in the group of four

then click on the guernsey inside your oval.

It should basically give you a selection that is the part of your oval inside the guernsey

Hope i've explained that well.

Hey Thunder, thanks for that. I will give it a shot when I'm at home.

Thinking about using an alternate blue for their clash jersey I was thinking about perhaps a Slate-Blue. It looks more manly than the powder blue which may convince some people. It may need to be a shade lighter.
CarltonClash1.png
looks a bit dark to use in matches against all the teams that have predominantly black, navy, maroon and dark purple firsts. like the new ESS second was.

the grey any of these clubs should be striving for should be along the lines of the All Blacks example below. you can see a clear difference between it and the black within the strip.

gyi0050803270_3352_sq_full-lnd.jpg

TBH though, I don't think CAR should even go down a slate/grey path. It suits the bombers with their logo and all. Between it and Sky Blue, the latter is better fit for CAR than grey. The fluoro aspect just needed to be toned down a smidgen...........and white shorts.

Another slight tweak of the side panels idea.
Carlton-Clash2.png

still a lot of navy on that, more than half the guernsey. just wouldn't be effective as a differentiator. remember that this has to be the main objective. most of the differentiation on this guernsey is underneath the armpits and the arms. the guernsey has to be considerably less than half navy and probably needs to be dark number on a lighter background if it's going to achieve an effective outcome.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be honest, I have to agree with Ultimate Warrior. Sorry to bring this great club back into focus again, but when I watch Sturt, I prefer their away kit. Double blue guernsey, white shorts and navy socks. Amazing :hearts:
Don't know when you watch Sturt play then; since they went back to sky blue shorts they've worn them home and away. Which is probably for 5 years or so now. No navy shorts, no white shorts, just sky blue.

Don't know when you watch Sturt play then; since they went back to sky blue shorts they've worn them home and away. Which is probably for 5 years or so now. No navy shorts, no white shorts, just sky blue.
Last time I've payed any notice to their shorts was last year against WWT at Thebarton, and I swear they wore white shorts...? :confused:

Last time I've payed any notice to their shorts was last year against WWT at Thebarton, and I swear they wore white shorts...? :confused:
Well I really don't know what you're remembering :) Eagles didn't play at Thebby last year, they haven't in a couple of years until this season when the only way for the premiers to have a home game in round 1 was to play it at Thebby 'coz Woodville was still in cricket mode.
This seems like me remembering Collingwood wearing black and white hooped socks on another forum :p

Well I really don't know what you're remembering :) Eagles didn't play at Thebby last year, they haven't in a couple of years until this season when the only way for the premiers to have a home game in round 1 was to play it at Thebby 'coz Woodville was still in cricket mode.
This seems like me remembering Collingwood wearing black and white hooped socks on another forum :p
...Um... Must've been two years ago then :p
Glenelg Vs Sturt at Gliderol. That was my last away game that I watched.

...Um... Must've been two years ago then :p
Glenelg Vs Sturt at Gliderol. That was my last away game that I watched.
Found this photo...I think it's 2008. But I HATED that away top with a PASSION. Utterly useless, utterly cluttered and utterly ugly.
sturt.jpg

Found this photo...I think it's 2008. But I HATED that away top with a PASSION. Utterly useless, utterly cluttered and utterly ugly.
sturt.jpg
Don't be hating! I loved that top! :hearts:
Useless=yes, design=amazing! The only thing that they should've done is increased the outline size, because the SFC is basically drowning in the V.

Don't be hating! I loved that top! :hearts:
Useless=yes, design=amazing! The only thing that they should've done is increased the outline size, because the SFC is basically drowning in the V.
You have the right to your own opinion, however wrong it may be :p ;) lol

This is what it should look like:
117xv20.png
looks great, but i don't think the socks will get a run. it starts to make the the strip a bit geelong-ish. what about solid white socks with a solid navy fold, or solid white socks with navy nike ticks down each side, or the same design but solid navy socks with white nike ticks down each side?

looks great, but i don't think the socks will get a run. it starts to make the the strip a bit geelong-ish. what about solid white socks with a solid navy fold, or solid white socks with navy nike ticks down each side, or the same design but solid navy socks with white nike ticks down each side?
White socks look lame. They work in soccer, but they don't work in Aussie Rules.

People will not look at the socks and think Geelong. If the jumper was hooped, yes, they'd think Geelong. But the monogram will clearly indicate that the jumper is a Carlton one, and the socks will barely be noticed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back