Preview Carlton v Geelong match simulation - Thursday 22nd Feb 11.30am @ Ikon Park - Squad post #21 🏈

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe b

We Badly need better defensive cover options than Young and Kemp. I think Lemmey is an awesome defensive prospect. He’s athletic enoug. Big enough. Clean enough. Plays proper football. In fact I can’t work out how he doesn’t become a reliable genuine key defender. Much harder to get separation for him as a forward.

Backline a no brainer for me.
I have been on that “train” for a while now. Not saying he can’t make it as a forward, but will be a very slow burn. He is uncertain of his movements making the play. Saw him play ruck minutes early is VFL season and was highly impressive setting up a wall behind the ball. He is the classic “better being led to the ball” type.

Some comparisons with Liam Jones for mine. Capable, but enigmatic forward of the ball, but game becomes “clear” from behind.

I have been on that “train” for a while now. Not saying he can’t make it as a forward, but will be a very slow burn. He is uncertain of his movements making the play. Saw him play ruck minutes early is VFL season and was highly impressive setting up a wall behind the ball. He is the classic “better being led to the ball” type.

Some comparisons with Liam Jones for mine. Capable, but enigmatic forward of the ball, but game becomes “clear” from behind.
I think he and McMahon will rotate forward and back all year in the vfl depending on how our injury list looks. He’s probably next in if one of Harry or Curnow go down.

A lot of good players out, some of our half back plays were good. Forward was too easy to exit so that needs to improve quite a lot. Some of our defensive structures were not set up properly, particularly early. Skills were really bad in general, attempting fast direct play and that kept coming undone by missed handballs/kicks and fumbling so there is scope to improve there. A big step up in pressure from match sims to playing against opposition. The game will do us good as will next week's game against Melbourne, it's evident we need it. We need quite a bit of polishing in these few areas and we will be right, these things always seem to come together for the first round so not too worried about it. Geelong picked a strong side.

A few of the senior boys did some good things. Cottrell, O Hollands, Boyd, McKay all looked the goods. Felt we missed those who were out.

Good to see the boys back out there in a semi-competitive environment but I’m not sure there’s too much we can take away from a game like that. Both teams looking to be going at 75% at best, oppressive conditions and a number of important players out for us. I’m expecting next week vs Melbourne to be treated as more of a full rehearsal for opening round.

In saying that, I thought Ollie looked exceptional - he appears to have gone up a notch. Boydy looked good off half back.

Maybe b

We Badly need better defensive cover options than Young and Kemp. I think Lemmey is an awesome defensive prospect. He’s athletic enoug. Big enough. Clean enough. Plays proper football. In fact I can’t work out how he doesn’t become a reliable genuine key defender. Much harder to get separation for him as a forward.

Backline a no brainer for me.
On this, yes agree re trying Lemmey.

Re Kemp - he looks to me to be a naturally attacking player, ie. go/attack/risk-take mindset.. I’d like to see him trialled at HF as a 3rd tall. We know he can take a grab. They may be stifling his strengths in defence .. thoughts ppl ?

Re Kemp - he looks to me to be a naturally attacking player, ie. go/attack/risk-take mindset.. I’d like to see him trialled at HF as a 3rd tall. We know he can take a grab. They may be stifling his strengths in defence .. thoughts ppl ?

Been very vocal that Kemp should be played forward as a 3rd tall

I guess with Jsos playing 3rd tall/ruck, limited that strategy, but now his out for the year

Martin can play small to medium forward, so that wouldn't hamper Kemp play forward

But with acquiring Moir and Elijah, Kemp is destined to remain a backman at Carlton

Yes and Yes
I’ve been of this opinion for a while…
I like to see it tried sometime throughout the year…

Observations from yesterday's game. Our kicking skills were poor and transition from defence needs improving. Still work very hard to kick our goals. Plenty of players to come back into the side and I'm mindful it's our first official practice match in blustery conditions.
Changes: I'd like to see Cincotta in the side as a lockdown defender. Miers was dangerous everytime he went near the ball and we lacked run from defence.

not a great attempt by cowan and then handball by kempy.
Everyone writing him off as a ressies player lol
🤪
Observations from yesterday's game. Our kicking skills were poor and transition from defence needs improving. Still work very hard to kick our goals. Plenty of players to come back into the side and I'm mindful it's our first official practice match in blustery conditions.
Changes: I'd like to see Cincotta in the side as a lockdown defender. Miers was dangerous everytime he went near the ball and we lacked run from defence.
I agree regarding Cincotta. He is still ahead of Cowan at this stage for mine. Boyd and Williams can rotate as the 7th defender

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been very vocal that Kemp should be played forward as a 3rd tall

I guess with Jsos playing 3rd tall/ruck, limited that strategy, but now his out for the year

Martin can play small to medium forward, so that wouldn't hamper Kemp play forward

But with acquiring Moir and Elijah, Kemp is destined to remain a backman at Carlton
This was tried at the end 2022 in the VFL for mixed results. My memory was he went ok, wasn't outstanding and didn't kick accurately.

He's fitter now, could be revisited. I'm more curious about his onball capabilities.

Think Kemp isn't suited to KPD and is in competition with McGovern for the third tall spot. Young was beaten, but Tomahawk is a hard day out for anyone.

Want to see more of Akeui as I hold out hope that it clicks for him. Has a ton of athletic traits and moments but seems lost at times.

Thought Charlie had a more wayward game than Harry.

Happy for Moir, but he's raw and probably shouldn't debut yet.

Ticks on Cripps, Cerra, Oli, Elijah and even Cunners in the mid. Hewett, Fog solid.

Thought that forward connection was good but forwards struggled on finish. Fantasia should have had 2, Curnow 2, Harry 4.

Organisation on the fast break needs work.

Weitering alone wouldn't fix it, mids might need to not push so high on the press as it was pretty clear that once out the back their numbers punished us.

Press worked for stretches of time, but if we aren't scoring then the downside risk is a worry.

Thought TDK was good.

Motlop had great energy, and looks set for a big year.

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

One thing with yesterday's game was the obvious lack of a third genuine marking target up forward. Particularly when you have an elite full back like DeKoning on the opposition team, you need it. You aren't going to win games if DeKoning is taking a lot of marks and controlling the long kick coming in. We gave Moir a go there and that was too much to ask a player this raw but it was a good taste of it for him. Normally you would have Silvagni and/or DeKoning playing this role which is so valuable to our forward structure. This will be something to consider during the season. I can see Lemmy coming in at times when we are short for this role. Obviously Jack Martin is fairly handy in the air as well.

There were a lot of moments all around the ground where our players didn't want to commit to the ball in the air and long kicks were intercepted. In games like this you can let that go but it will be talked about. One of those, this doesn't happen during the main season things.

As for our forwards. I thought Geelong exited very easily. Still not convicted the speed in which we close on the ball after it spills is up to it and hence are we good enough and quick enough defensively in that end. A lot of tail chasing without applying good pressure. Geelong ran and carried the ball well which means our small forwards weren't good enough defensively and that will have to go up a level. I have to say there are no guarantees after watching that for any of the small forwards. I think Fantasia, Motlop, Durdin, Owies, and Fogarty may all find they are on very even playing ground. No one really stood out, threatened to kick goals or did a good job defensively and at applying pressure so the door remains open IMO. But there is one more game to go to finalise that so the smalls should be hungry next week.

The other thing that showed which also showed a fair bit last season was how our run from defence petered out. Just not enough high quality genuine AFL half backs to rotate through there. Boyd was good and so was Saad despite being in second gear but you need three of these sorts at least so you can rotate them deep or bench and keep them fresh. This is why I am looking forward to seeing Williams come back. A few have mentioned Cincotta probably being ahead of Cowan and I agree. Cowan just looks a step behind at this level so we can safely assume he is still building up to AFL footy.

Transition of the ball against good AFL sides is going to be a work in progress. The more we ask of our players, asking them to move it quick and direct, the more it will expose players who aren't up to it which I like. Those who are alright but not quite good enough hide in a team that plays conservatively like we often do so we may have some hiccups here but this needs to be persisted with. Going fast and direct is a level up in difficulty, it asks more of the athleticism, smarts and skills of the players and will no doubt weed some of them out. This will be a work in progress. This is why it's critical that our faster better skilled better runners do not miss and why I keep saying we are short in the midfield. We absolutely can not be without guys like Walsh and Cerra in the middle if we intend to play this way and most likely will need to find a similar mid come the end of the season.

The pressure goes up the better the quality of the opposition goes up. Intra club opposition regardless of quality and availability is somewhere between AFL and VFL. Playing Geelong is a huge step up from playing orange v blue. So implementing a game plan that requires high skill and athleticism such as what Collingwood have implemented the last two season will be quite demanding against quality AFL opposition. Practice makes perfect.

This was tried at the end 2022 in the VFL for mixed results. My memory was he went ok, wasn't outstanding and didn't kick accurately.

He's fitter now, could be revisited. I'm more curious about his onball capabilities.

Long way off playing in the middle, if ever

Also posted in the Carlton Reserves thread (sub Board) ...

THE Carlton Reserves had their first hitout against external opposition on Thursday, prevailing by seven points against Geelong.

In a post-script to the AFL match simulation that took place between the two sides, the VFL clash will played in the middle of excruciating heat at IKON Park, with temperatures hovering around 36 degrees for the clash.

I'll post this here and on the VFL thread so it doesn't get lost

The boys had a hard fought win in stifling heat....I thought it was only by 1 point, although somebody said it was 7 points - either way, the final siren went at the 8 minute mark of the last quarter, so I think there may have been a gentleman's handshake between the two sides for mercy sake.

Overall, we just had a bunch of kids running around out there trying their guts out. I think the only one in our side out of their nappies was Cincotta - who I thought was by far our best player out of our AFL listed players. He was excellent across half back, and you can see how much his game has developed over the past 12 months since being drafted.

Cats pretty much had a young side as well, although Mannagh was out there as was Parfitt, and Bews at times. They have a few mature age recruits as well, so overall were more experienced than our squad. Although I think that this time of the year, it's really just to give your youngsters a bit of a hit out.

Our only AFL listed players today were Carroll, Lemmey, Binns, Monahan, Cincotta, Wilson, O'Keefe and Akuei.

• Carroll - was very good. Accumulated a lot of possessions and very poised whenever he got it. Liked his game, and I reckon he'll get a call up at some stage during the year.
  • Lemmey - definitely on the improve. Started forward but moved him to defence during the 2nd half - switching him and McMahon. He's got some athleticism for a big fella, but needs time.
  • Binns - was just Binns. Racks them up at will, and again provided the link between forward and defence. Just never stops running, even in the stifling heat. No doubt will debut this season.
  • Monahan - barely noticed him....although in one passage received the ball, accelerated like a man possessed away from his opponent, a couple of bounces, then kicked it straight into the Geelong bloke coming at him. Turnover, goal. Obviously needs time - of course it's only his first game of aussie rules.
  • Cincotta - dominant across half back.
  • Wilson - also played across half back, and was a little in and out of the play - but when he does get it, provides some real dash and flair. Probably needs a little more composure with the ball at times, it but that'll no doubt come with experience.
  • O'Keefe - was very impressive as pretty much our only ruckman. Easily the best game I've seen him play. Seems to read the play really well, and was more than useful around the ground. Massive tick to the big fella.
  • Akuei - was also very good as probably our sole key defender alongside McMahon (and Lemmey in the 2nd half). He's still a long way off AFL level, but was very steady down back - ridiculous levels of athleticism.

Of the VFL listed boys, Heath Ramshaw imo was best on ground alongside Cincotta. The kid can really play.

A few of the 'no name' kids were also very good - Hugo Nosiara and Will White are the ones that spring to mind, and Hayden Gill good at times. It was great to see Archie Stevens lining up against his 'little' brother George. He's a massive beast is George - his shorts would even be too large for Big John!!!

Great report!

I saw bits and pieces of game while chatting with people and have to agree with your comments

Cincotta showed a lot more than Cowan did in seniors.
O'Keefe is a beauty. Has it and won't take long
Lemmey improving
Little bits from Wilson & Monahan were nice
Binns & Carroll work hard

One thing with yesterday's game was the obvious lack of a third genuine marking target up forward. Particularly when you have an elite full back like DeKoning on the opposition team, you need it. You aren't going to win games if DeKoning is taking a lot of marks and controlling the long kick coming in. We gave Moir a go there and that was too much to ask a player this raw but it was a good taste of it for him. Normally you would have Silvagni and/or DeKoning playing this role which is so valuable to our forward structure. This will be something to consider during the season. I can see Lemmy coming in at times when we are short for this role. Obviously Jack Martin is fairly handy in the air as well.

There were a lot of moments all around the ground where our players didn't want to commit to the ball in the air and long kicks were intercepted. In games like this you can let that go but it will be talked about. One of those, this doesn't happen during the main season things.

As for our forwards. I thought Geelong exited very easily. Still not convicted the speed in which we close on the ball after it spills is up to it and hence are we good enough and quick enough defensively in that end. A lot of tail chasing without applying good pressure. Geelong ran and carried the ball well which means our small forwards weren't good enough defensively and that will have to go up a level. I have to say there are no guarantees after watching that for any of the small forwards. I think Fantasia, Motlop, Durdin, Owies, and Fogarty may all find they are on very even playing ground. No one really stood out, threatened to kick goals or did a good job defensively and at applying pressure so the door remains open IMO. But there is one more game to go to finalise that so the smalls should be hungry next week.

The other thing that showed which also showed a fair bit last season was how our run from defence petered out. Just not enough high quality genuine AFL half backs to rotate through there. Boyd was good and so was Saad despite being in second gear but you need three of these sorts at least so you can rotate them deep or bench and keep them fresh. This is why I am looking forward to seeing Williams come back. A few have mentioned Cincotta probably being ahead of Cowan and I agree. Cowan just looks a step behind at this level so we can safely assume he is still building up to AFL footy.

Transition of the ball against good AFL sides is going to be a work in progress. The more we ask of our players, asking them to move it quick and direct, the more it will expose players who aren't up to it which I like. Those who are alright but not quite good enough hide in a team that plays conservatively like we often do so we may have some hiccups here but this needs to be persisted with. Going fast and direct is a level up in difficulty, it asks more of the athleticism, smarts and skills of the players and will no doubt weed some of them out. This will be a work in progress. This is why it's critical that our faster better skilled better runners do not miss and why I keep saying we are short in the midfield. We absolutely can not be without guys like Walsh and Cerra in the middle if we intend to play this way and most likely will need to find a similar mid come the end of the season.

The pressure goes up the better the quality of the opposition goes up. Intra club opposition regardless of quality and availability is somewhere between AFL and VFL. Playing Geelong is a huge step up from playing orange v blue. So implementing a game plan that requires high skill and athleticism such as what Collingwood have implemented the last two season will be quite demanding against quality AFL opposition. Practice makes perfect.
Issue was compounded by one of TDK/H being off the ground around 40% of the game and Geelong being happy to have numbers behind the ball with a defence that are all good overhead. Windy conditions made it hard to pinpoint kicks I50 and we didn't take the short kicks i50 often enough.

We also got punished on turnover pressing up the ground and not getting back quick enough.

Will be interesting to see how much we can improve things next week.

Felt like Crippa went unnoticed today and should be talked about more

Feel like it’s very easy to tell when Rick will have a good year based off his preseason

2022, was amazing that preseason, didn’t feel it last year. Obvs a preseason game but be moved really really well today and showed his brilliant self on a couple occasions

I expect AA for the skippa this year
I thought he looked super fit and lean

Remove this Banner Ad

Back